• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NFL. Free agency tracker thread 2024

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lack players that other teams want. We tend to overvalue the guys we have. It's time to start getting some All-Pro's on this roster. The teams with the All-Pro's are the ones playing in December and January.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to build through the draft.

However, we have to take some swings to get back in the game so to speak. We can bring in free agents as depth and use the draft to secure starting talent. That is an option.

It would be year 3 IMO before we could make any noise if we went that route. We need a shot in the arm with talent or it’s going to be a while before we even get to .500. I am not saying we go Rambo in free agency, but a combo of wise free agent pick ups, trades, and strategic drafting will put us on a good path.
A, 2nd for all pro cb is a good use of a resource ( draft one). I don’t like doing 2 for ones and waste a good cb while we build

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I hate the franchise tag. To me, it doesn't make any sense.

I do not think any other pro sport (MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL) have a process like this. Players should have a choice where they play once their contract is up.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not think any other pro sport (MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL) have a process like this. Players should have a choice where they play once their contract is up.

Why should they? I know what you are saying on the surface; however, the NFL as a whole is a business. It is also far different than any other sport as there is more growth done in the first couple of years in the NFL than any other sport. So when you develop a player on a four year contract, having invested all that time and money, you want to get some back. Also, while the players get a contract, the tag is already worked into their CBA so it an extension of their contract.

Finally, why should the NFL follow the rest of the leagues when the NFL is far more successful than any other? Maybe the other leagues should take note.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they? I know what you are saying on the surface; however, the NFL as a whole is a business. It is also far different than any other sport as there is more growth done in the first couple of years in the NFL than any other sport. So when you develop a player on a four year contract, having invested all that time and money, you want to get some back. Also, while the players get a contract, the tag is already worked into their CBA so it an extension of their contract.

Finally, why should the NFL follow the rest of the leagues when the NFL is far more successful than any other? Maybe the other leagues should take note.
I am not a big fan of being forced to do something...that is probably most of it. I understand that is part of life, but I am a big fan of agency and choice.

I disagree with the tag as it prevents the player from exercising their agency once their contract is up. I understand CBA language stipulates it, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I understand that the player also has to approve the tag and must sign it.

The nfl is a business, I have said that for years when arguing with posters here. However, the nfl also has the worst reputation and worst commissioner out of the major pro sports in the US. I am more of an MLB guy and believe it is run much better than thr NFL is. I would be furious if the other leagues took note and started adopting NFL policy, norms, or regulations.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot_20240305_111302_Instagram.jpg

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a big fan of being forced to do something...that is probably most of it. I understand that is part of life, but I am a big fan of agency and choice.

I disagree with the tag as it prevents the player from exercising their agency once their contract is up. I understand CBA language stipulates it, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I understand that the player also has to approve the tag and must sign it.

The nfl is a business, I have said that for years when arguing with posters here. However, the nfl also has the worst reputation and worst commissioner out of the major pro sports in the US. I am more of an MLB guy and believe it is run much better than thr NFL is. I would be furious if the other leagues took note and started adopting NFL policy, norms, or regulations.

They are not forced to do anything. These players are free to do as they want but they want to get paid top dollar, and that is why they play in the NFL. The players have a ton of power as they negotiate as a group h rough the CBA.

This is where you seem to be confusing. The players all vote on the CBA. That is the contract with the league prior to discussing a contract with individual teams.

Worst reputation according to what metric? Worst commissioner according to what metric?

Nobody watches baseball any more. The NFL has an annual profit of nearly 12 million on 17 games. MLB has slightly less on 160 games.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not forced to do anything. These players are free to do as they want but they want to get paid top dollar, and that is why they play in the NFL. The players have a ton of power as they negotiate as a group h rough the CBA.

This is where you seem to be confusing. The players all vote on the CBA. That is the contract with the league prior to discussing a contract with individual teams.

Worst reputation according to what metric? Worst commissioner according to what metric?

Nobody watches baseball any more. The NFL has an annual profit of nearly 12 million on 17 games. MLB has slightly less on 160 games.
They cannot refuse the tag once applied by the team.
A player can hold out and not report if that is what you mean.
With exclusive tag, they cannot negotiate with other teams. I disagree with that. They can either play under the tag, which is a 1 year deal, or not play. Of course they can sign a long term deal, sign the tag, hold out and not report, or demand a trade.

I disagree with that. My personal opinion.

Under the exclusive tag, they are not free to negotiate with other teams. As you know, with a non-exclusive or transition tag, they can. Under non-exclusive, the new team will have to compensate the former team draft picks for signing a new contract that is not matched by the former team.

You can't tell me I am confused on my personal opinion. You can think a person is wrong but you can't tell someone how they feel.

Yes, I am fully aware that the players voted on the cba. The current cba runs through 2030. The players voted 1,019 to 959. It was a 51% majority. I cannot tell you why it barely passed. Almost 50% of players disagreed with some part of the cba. Who knows.

Ummm, I still watch baseball. I subscribe to the mlb network each year. Just because a sport makes more revenue doesn't mean it's a better sport and every other fan needs to ditch their sport or hope their sport implements regulations mirroring the nfl. I would wager that English premier, indian cricket, nba and mlb fans would disagree.

I am an mlb fan first and would be furious if Goodell ran MLB.

I think you meant billion with nfl. Nfl made over 17 billion in revenue I believe.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas is looking to flip Lance, it'll be for more than they paid (a 4th). I'd be surprised if any team is willing to give up a 3rd just to hand the keys to him. I'm a Trey Lance fan, but he needs another year or 2 on the bench. He's too raw. His preseason film with SF was crap. He either wasn't seeing the field or he wasn't trusting what he was seeing. Either way, he didn't look anywhere close to ready to run an nfl passing game.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you against the franchise tag or the entire franchise tag system--including the transition tag, qualifying offers, etc.?

In CBA negotiations, what would the NFLPA be willing to give up to get rid of the franchise tag? It would have to be something BIG. To get rid of the entire franchise tag system, it would have to be something HUGE. I just don't see the union being willing to give up enough. After all, the tag system only effects a couple of dozen players out of the hundreds and hundreds in the league. Hell, half of the league make the minimum, so they are not going to be willing to give up big concessions that only benefit those at the top of the pay scale anyway.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cannot refuse the tag once applied by the team.
A player can hold out and not report if that is what you mean.
With exclusive tag, they cannot negotiate with other teams. I disagree with that. They can either play under the tag, which is a 1 year deal, or not play. Of course they can sign a long term deal, sign the tag, hold out and not report, or demand a trade.

I disagree with that. My personal opinion.

Under the exclusive tag, they are not free to negotiate with other teams. As you know, with a non-exclusive or transition tag, they can. Under non-exclusive, the new team will have to compensate the former team draft picks for signing a new contract that is not matched by the former team.

You can't tell me I am confused on my personal opinion. You can think a person is wrong but you can't tell someone how they feel.

Yes, I am fully aware that the players voted on the cba. The current cba runs through 2030. The players voted 1,019 to 959. It was a 51% majority. I cannot tell you why it barely passed. Almost 50% of players disagreed with some part of the cba. Who knows.

Ummm, I still watch baseball. I subscribe to the mlb network each year. Just because a sport makes more revenue doesn't mean it's a better sport and every other fan needs to ditch their sport or hope their sport implements regulations mirroring the nfl. I would wager that English premier, indian cricket, nba and mlb fans would disagree.

I am an mlb fan first and would be furious if Goodell ran MLB.

I think you meant billion with nfl. Nfl made over 17 billion in revenue I believe.

It you refuse to see the first contract a player is covered by is the CBA.

You claimed the NFL should go the way of the less successful sports leagues…why would anything successful emulate that which is less successful?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schultz just got 36m from the Texans

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you against the franchise tag or the entire franchise tag system--including the transition tag, qualifying offers, etc.?

In CBA negotiations, what would the NFLPA be willing to give up to get rid of the franchise tag? It would have to be something BIG. To get rid of the entire franchise tag system, it would have to be something HUGE. I just don't see the union being willing to give up enough. After all, the tag system only effects a couple of dozen players out of the hundreds and hundreds in the league. Hell, half of the league make the minimum, so they are not going to be willing to give up big concessions that only benefit those at the top of the pay scale anyway.
It's my personal opinion here.

I would advocate for allowing a team to match another team offer, but that's me.

A single tag and keep it simple.

I would allow players to negotiate with other teams during free agency.

I believe nba bird rights work like that. Not sure.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It you refuse to see the first contract a player is covered by is the CBA.

You claimed the NFL should go the way of the less successful sports leagues…why would anything successful emulate that which is less successful?
Correct, I did say the tag should be eliminated.

It's my opinion. You arent going to convince me that the tag process is a good thing and that the nfl is without fault.

The nfl has 32 teams, does that mean LA Liga and the English premier league need to expand to 32 teams because the nfl does?

The nfl is popular for a number of reasons, the tag process is not a reason a fan watches the nfl.

Just because something is popular and successful doesn't mean it is perfect and without flaws.

If that was the case, we should all throw away our classic rock albums and start listening to Taylor swift. She has the highest grossing tour ever. She might be the most successful music artist of all time. I can't stand her music. Does that mean I am wrong and that every other music artist needs to wear tight shorts and write lame love ballads?

The fifa world cup is the most popular watched sporting event in the world. A 3rd of people watch on the planet. I could not care less and will not even watch. Should the nfl adopt fifa business practices?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team CAN get better quickly.

Call me a homer but that is what I think.

I think Peters and Newmark have a plan and it will be aggressive. I am not saying we are going to trade up to #1 OR blow through all of our cap.

I am saying that I think we will see a stratetic approach to free agency, the draft, and trades. I see a big roster turnover....we have to!
i don,t expect a playoff berth,but genuine improvement from a 4 win team.