• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NFC Divisional - Dallas Cowboys vs. Los Angeles Rams

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely don't understand why Garrett passed on giving his team an extra opportunity to get the ball back. If you don't get the onside, you're screwed anyway if you give up a first down. I don't think the Rams try a FG anyway with that field position because they wouldn't want to risk a blocked kick or return TD.
Agree 100%.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And it would rarely ever actually matter. It just bugs me is all.

He also should have kicked the onside. Either way they needed a 3 and out and that was unlikely. A 3 and out from the 25 vs a 3 and out at the 45 doesn't really change the likelihood of scoring a td on the next drive to forgo the opportunity of recovering an onside and keeping the ball out of the rams hands especially in the way that the rams offfense had completely manhandled the cowboys D all game long.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb. You are dumb. You need two scores anyways. If you get the chance to score again it means the other team just went 3 and out and the defense is more worn out. You fail the two point conversion and there is no reason for the defense to even play. There is literally NO point in going for it the first time.
Take the situation the Cowboys were in, and let's assume they miss their 2 pt try.

If they do as you suggest. They kick the extra point, actually get the ball back, drive down the field for the touchdown, almost certainly taking all the time off the clock, then miss the 2 pt try, the game is over. There is no way to come back.

But if they go for 2 on their first score and miss it, they now know they need 2 possessions. So when they get the ball back they can go for the early FG to onside kick and play more aggressively. They are not COMPLETELY screwed.

It is a shitty situation regardless, but going for 2 on the first score is the better of bad options.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with his thinking. Onsides kick never work anyway. 3 timeouts plus the 2 minute warning, you always kick it deep in a one possession game

A small chance at recovery was better than Dallas D's chance at getting a 3 and out.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the situation the Cowboys were in, and let's assume they miss their 2 pt try.

If they do as you suggest. They kick the extra point, actually get the ball back, drive down the field for the touchdown, almost certainly taking all the time off the clock, then miss the 2 pt try, the game is over. There is no way to come back.

But if they go for 2 on their first score and miss it, they now know they need 2 possessions. So when they get the ball back they can go for the early FG to onside kick and play more aggressively. They are not COMPLETELY screwed.

It is a shitty situation regardless, but going for 2 on the first score is the better of bad options.
Two possessions is impossible with the time permitted. It’s game over. Let me put it this way, no coach will ever do what you are wanting. Never. NEVER. This might help you understand the flaw in your thinking.

kelley2403

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2019-1-12_23-31-29.gif

Well the best team won, and all I have to say to my son-in-law is.
Actually not that, but your team does.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extra 15 yards on the new extra points leans me towards the 2-point early strategy

The extra point kick is not entirely an automatic thing anymore. We are just conditioned after decades of it being so.

The slight diffrence of possibly missing the extra point probably pushes it to 55-45 in favor of going for 2 first for me.

Under the old rules, I would have kicked the XP first.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extra 15 yards on the new extra points leans me towards the 2-point early strategy

The extra point kick is not entirely an automatic thing anymore. We are just conditioned after decades of it being so.

The slight diffrence of possibly missing the extra point probably pushes it to 55-45 in favor of going for 2 first for me.

Under the old rules, I would have kicked the XP first.
No it doesn’t. Look at 2 point conversion rates in comparison to extra point rates. The answer is obvious.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you miss the “middle of the 4th” part?
"By kicking the extra point, you (falsely) believe you’re staying in the game for longer. A missed two point conversion attempt with 8 seconds left means you had hope for 59 minutes and 52 seconds. Missing the two-point conversion earlier kills your hope, knowing that it’s now a two-score game. But the goal of a coach should be to maximize his team’s odds of winning, not to make his team’s players and fans feel warm and fuzzy. Missing the 2-point attempt at any point is going to drastically lower your team’s odds of winning.It’s true that if you score a touchdown to cut the lead to 9, and then miss the 2-point attempt, your odds of winning have decreased significantly. But it’s not the going for 2 early and failing that lowers your odds of winning, it’s simply missing the 2 point conversion that lowers your odds."

Nope. I actually read the article. You clearly did not.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the insides rule still been the old rule, I think Dallas would have tried for it. The new rule makes on sides very hard to recover.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"By kicking the extra point, you (falsely) believe you’re staying in the game for longer. A missed two point conversion attempt with 8 seconds left means you had hope for 59 minutes and 52 seconds. Missing the two-point conversion earlier kills your hope, knowing that it’s now a two-score game. But the goal of a coach should be to maximize his team’s odds of winning, not to make his team’s players and fans feel warm and fuzzy. Missing the 2-point attempt at any point is going to drastically lower your team’s odds of winning.It’s true that if you score a touchdown to cut the lead to 9, and then miss the 2-point attempt, your odds of winning have decreased significantly. But it’s not the going for 2 early and failing that lowers your odds of winning, it’s simply missing the 2 point conversion that lowers your odds."

That’s false and stupid, I already told you the benefits of waiting, you have yet to tell me any benefit for going for it there other than “ getting it over with quickly”.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've man enough to admit I was wrong, unlike some people here, and I was wrong here.

Good win Rams

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you are saying that going for 2 points in the first quarter is equal to going for two points when the game could be brought to a one possession game late in the 4th? Because that’s exactly what that idiotic article is saying. I am saddened that people actually are this gullible.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s false and stupid, I already told you the benefits of waiting, you have yet to tell me any benefit for going for it there other than “ getting it over with quickly”.
You still give yourself a small chance if you miss it by doing it early. You give yourself no chance if you miss it by doing it late