• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC Championship game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/18/3tfo-49ers-falcons-nfc-championship/

49ers Cornerbacks vs. Falcons Wide Recievers

Last week one of the marquee matchups to watch was how Julio Jones and Roddy White did against the Seahawks duo of Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. The end result was a mixed bag. They were targeted 16 times when covered by those corners, but caught only eight of those passes for 126 yards and a touchdown. In fact, 47 of those yards came on the touchdown, which saw White beat Sherman over the top on a deep route before getting in his face with a little trash talk. Outside of that pass the Seattle pair held the Falcons’ receivers to just 79 yards from 15 targets, while breaking up three passes.

San Francisco might not have Richard Sherman, but their corners are nothing to sneeze at, and it remains an interesting battle. Matt Ryan went deep eight times against the Seahawks, staying aggressive despite an excellent unit. The 49ers have the fourth-best deep (20+ yards in the air) completion percentage in the NFL, and the fourth-best yards per attempt figure on those passes. They also ranked sixth in the league defending balls thrown deep and outside the numbers, so whatever the Falcons choose to do it won’t be smooth sailing. Tarrell Brown has yet to allow a touchdown this season, and Chris Culliver has had some excellent games in deep coverage.

It might not have quite the same obvious marquee feel as it did last week, but the battle between the Atlanta receivers and the San Francisco corners is one that will go a long way toward determining the Falcons success on offense. They need to remain aggressive and get the better of this fight if they are to hang with the points that San Francisco can put up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Limiting the big play has been San Francisco's signature all season.

The 49ers allowed 157 plays of 10 yards or more, the fewest in the NFL. The unit also gave up a league-low seven touchdowns of 10 yards or more, often smothering the most vaunted receivers in the league."

taken from an AP sportswriter, and something they should continue doing tomorrow. give them the short stuff and make good tackles, don't give up the big pass play. Goldson especially needs to tackle first, look for the highlight hit second.

ok, we can't shut down EVERY medium and long pass, but lean to protect the long ball.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/18/3tfo-49ers-falcons-nfc-championship/

49ers Cornerbacks vs. Falcons Wide Recievers

Last week one of the marquee matchups to watch was how Julio Jones and Roddy White did against the Seahawks duo of Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. The end result was a mixed bag. They were targeted 16 times when covered by those corners, but caught only eight of those passes for 126 yards and a touchdown. In fact, 47 of those yards came on the touchdown, which saw White beat Sherman over the top on a deep route before getting in his face with a little trash talk. Outside of that pass the Seattle pair held the Falcons’ receivers to just 79 yards from 15 targets, while breaking up three passes.

San Francisco might not have Richard Sherman, but their corners are nothing to sneeze at, and it remains an interesting battle. Matt Ryan went deep eight times against the Seahawks, staying aggressive despite an excellent unit. The 49ers have the fourth-best deep (20+ yards in the air) completion percentage in the NFL, and the fourth-best yards per attempt figure on those passes. They also ranked sixth in the league defending balls thrown deep and outside the numbers, so whatever the Falcons choose to do it won’t be smooth sailing. Tarrell Brown has yet to allow a touchdown this season, and Chris Culliver has had some excellent games in deep coverage.

It might not have quite the same obvious marquee feel as it did last week, but the battle between the Atlanta receivers and the San Francisco corners is one that will go a long way toward determining the Falcons success on offense. They need to remain aggressive and get the better of this fight if they are to hang with the points that San Francisco can put up.

it starts with Matt Ryan, if he happens to be HOT, then oh boy. but if he isn't HOT, we'll see similar stats as above.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF:

San Francisco 49ers

- Week 10 was the first week Colin Kaepernick began having significant playing time. He has 8.3 yards per attempt, which ranks third among quarterbacks from Week 10 on.

- Michael Crabtree has five touchdowns on third downs, which leads the league. He has done this with 30 catches on 47 targets for 355 yards.

- Cornerback Chris Culliver has been targeted 16 times on intermediate passes (passes in the air between 10 and 20 yards). On those passes, he has allowed just three to be completed. The catch rate of 18.8 is the lowest in the league for those targeted nine or more times.

- Fellow DB Carlos Rogers is one of just two cornerbacks with at least 15 tackles in the pass game and no missed tackles. He has made 44 tackles along with four assists in the pass game.

- Of Frank Gore’s 282 carries, 139 have gone for 4 or more yards. That is 49.3%, which is the third-best for all running backs with at least 100 carries.

- Outside linebacker Aldon Smith has a Pass Rushing Productivity of 11.8 when rushing on the defenses right side. That is the best for all outside pass rushers who are rushing from the defensive right side of the field.

- Although David Akers has had his struggles on field goals this year, he has averaged 68.7 yards per kickoff which is sixth in the league, and the highest among remaining teams.

- Jonathan Goodwin is the only center remaining in the playoffs to not allow a sack this season. The other three have allowed at least three each.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A similar scheme could keep help minimize Kaepernick as a running threat, but will he eventually pick away at the voids in the zone the same way Wilson did? Cosell believes the Falcons will play more aggressively to lead Kaepernick down a more uncertain path.

"I think they'll want Kaepernick to get frenetic," Cosell said. "They may live with one or two runs that burn them, but I think Kaepernick has a tendency to get a little frenetic, a little chaotic, and is not as consistent and efficient as Wilson when he gets like that."

How the Falcons choose to play Kaepernick -- and how he reacts to that strategy -- will go a long way in deciding who represents the NFC in the Super Bowl.

in general...........at this point yeah, would have to agree with this. not a huge difference between Wilson and Kap, but Wilson is "smoother" throughout plays. still able to look downfield when plays 'breakdown', able to complete passes.

Kap has already proven his running ability, so it makes sense for the Falcons to make him prove his pocket passing? ie don't rush hard so as to contain him, make him win it with his passing ability.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just caught the tail end of a Sound FX season recap episode. You won't get how funny some of these are without seeing the show I don't think, but here's a short summary of three of the last ones they showed:

Harbaugh (standing right behind the side judge): That's a f***** hold. Come on. (Ref throws the flag). Harbaugh: Good call (clapping). Good call. (Harbaugh bends over to pick the flag up for the ref and gives it to him).

Harbaugh describes to two officials what he thought he saw, which should have resulted in a penalty in favor of the 49ers in his opinion. Official says: Why didn't you throw it (a flag)? Harbaugh: I don't have any. I don't have any of the yellow ones. (Ref laughs at Harbaugh). Harbaugh: Good call.

Harbaugh: Delay of game? WHAT!?!?! (Puzzled look on his face).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A similar scheme could keep help minimize Kaepernick as a running threat, but will he eventually pick away at the voids in the zone the same way Wilson did? Cosell believes the Falcons will play more aggressively to lead Kaepernick down a more uncertain path.

"I think they'll want Kaepernick to get frenetic," Cosell said. "They may live with one or two runs that burn them, but I think Kaepernick has a tendency to get a little frenetic, a little chaotic, and is not as consistent and efficient as Wilson when he gets like that."

How the Falcons choose to play Kaepernick -- and how he reacts to that strategy -- will go a long way in deciding who represents the NFC in the Super Bowl.

in general...........at this point yeah, would have to agree with this. not a huge difference between Wilson and Kap, but Wilson is "smoother" throughout plays. still able to look downfield when plays 'breakdown', able to complete passes.

Kap has already proven his running ability, so it makes sense for the Falcons to make him prove his pocket passing? ie don't rush hard so as to contain him, make him win it with his passing ability.

I hope they make him win it with his passing ability. I would hate for them to make him lose it with his passing ability. ;) Seriously though, that may shut some people up on him being a runner. Just like game manager, despite it's truths, was often a slight to Alex, calling Kaep a running QB, despite the truth in his skills at that, is sometimes a slight to Kaep. It's not that the messages are blatantly false, it's the fact that some who don't know what they are talking about say it as an insult.

Those who do know what they are talking about won't say that about Kaep and those who know what they are talking about, I'm ok with the comments on Alex. It's those who are just repeating what they hear and adding their own opinion that bug me.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Deep, can you provide some examples of Kaepernick getting "frenetic?"

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I knew it. This is why I had to check his account. He'll almost certainly use this as a bit of an out on his 49ers prediction if the 49ers lose. "Well I didn't know that was going to happen to Crabtree when I made my prediction Friday." One of my all time favorites from him: "I didn't know Tom Brady would throw 2 horrible picks, get sacked 5 times and have 3 drops by his receivers when we talked Friday." Embarassing.

Skip Bayless: We don't yet know enough about accusations against Crabtree but this sure isn't a good thing for him or his team on eve of NFC game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick has 3 rushing touchdowns of 50+ yards or more this season. My first thought was, did Vick ever do that? My guess was no and I was correct. This was his 10th season and somewhat surprisingly, he's only had 4 seasons of 3+ rushing touchdowns (8 in 2002, 3 in 2004, 6 in 2005, and 9 in 2009 (career high).

Would usually like to end the night on an important thought or number, but that's the last thing I saw tonight as I was winding things down.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i say even closer, 49ers by 3 or less.

I believe we're gonna have a game somewhere in this run that comes down to the kicking game....might be this one. Not saying he'll miss, just saying we'll all be sitting in front of our TVs with our butts puckering.

Under 7 hours til kickoff......

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's game day! Go Niners!!

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bwv4j8

Quite the bold prediction.

Ha. It's not just me....

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colleen Dominguez reported on SportsCenter this morning that in addition to the book and movie deal that Kaepernick's business agent received, which we already knew about, there was also a reality show deal pitched to him/her as well. Sheesh!