• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Lions HC, Matt Patricia

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would anyone take Vrabel

I am very nervous about it, We have seen first hand how a position coach does as a first time head coach. I know he spent this last years as the DC, but it feels like in name only as Crennel was still on staff they just gave him the assistant head coach title.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terryl Austin would be my 1st choice.

Steve Wilkes 2nd.

I will take Austin and Cooter. I think Cooter would be much more aggressive without the black Bill O'Reilly breathing down his neck.

New O-line and D-Line coach is needed though.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the names flying around so far Shurmur is my leading candidate. He failed as a HC, but had two of the worst QB’s (McCoy and Weeden) and a horrific roster to deal with. Nobody could have won in that position. Bill Belichick was a losing coach with Cleveland before waiting a few years to get a chance in New England.

Reading about the 2011-2012 Browns makes me think that it was a bad roster, rather than a bad coaching job that led him to a 9-23 record in two seasons. On the flip-side Shurmur actually won 9 games for Cleveland. That is quite a feat.

Nowhere in his Cleveland days do the internet archives declare him a bad on-field coach. Only a couple of questionable key decisions that better players would have made him look smart. He should be able to count to 11 while his DC calls the defense. If the Lions have a brain they will watch those games (that poor intern) and make sure he isn’t a Caldwellian buffoon with time/challenges/short-yardage decisions.

He was doomed as OC in Philly because Chip Kelly is a maniac. Can’t be judged for that shit-show. He probably learned a lot in that time.

Despite the failures in Cleveland and Philly he has a lot of experience. He has shown an ability to do more with less this season.

This time around, with all that experience, and a good QB, and talent in a number of key positions, Shurmur may be able to take the Lions to the next step. Get him some pass rush help and a running game and we may be in business.

Hire Shurmur.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be on board with this hire, plus he has a beard, so important right now

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in the camp of a DC becoming the HC. Why I want Patricia or Vrabel. Don’t know enough about Wilkes from Panthers, but I myself have to accept the replacement because I wanted the change made. So I get who BQ gives me at the moment.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only thing with JBC is that I don't believe he had full control of play calling. I think Caldwell may have kept him from going all in. Just by the looks on his face at times, looked like he was thinking, Did I really just have to make that call??? Only time will tell I guess, here or where ever he ends up.

Another thing about Cooter for me. That gadget 2 pt play with Stafford is something that I’d rather see ran than a rush attempt inside the 2 against the Steelers. That is not on Caldwell and if he listened to Caldwell then I fire him anyway. I don’t want somebody whose is passive. Maybe he’s part of reason we don’t have a foot on the throat mentality

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97.1 now predicting Bill Belichick will be the next Lions HC when he leaves the Pats at years end over this supposed rift.

Maybe Barry, Calvin and Suh will all return to join him??

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97.1 now predicting Bill Belichick will be the next Lions HC when he leaves the Pats at years end over this supposed rift.

Maybe Barry, Calvin and Suh will all return to join him??

They are all still in game shape. Even Barry.

BB is not leaving NE. Dont be silly.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are all still in game shape. Even Barry.

BB is not leaving NE. Dont be silly.

We don't need Barry or BB if Suh comes back anyways.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ProFootballTalk reports the Patriots expect DC Matt Patricia to become the next coach of the Lions.

Patricia is ready to make the head-coaching leap after serving as the defensive coordinator the last six seasons under Bill Belichick. The Lions were always a strong favorite to land Patricia, but he had interest from every team. Patricia has ties to GM Bob Quinn from their time in New England and will be Quinn's first hire after carrying over Jim Caldwell from the Martin Mayhew regime. The Lions will have to wait until the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs to sign Patricia.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ProFootballTalk reports the Patriots expect DC Matt Patricia to become the next coach of the Lions.

Patricia is ready to make the head-coaching leap after serving as the defensive coordinator the last six seasons under Bill Belichick. The Lions were always a strong favorite to land Patricia, but he had interest from every team. Patricia has ties to GM Bob Quinn from their time in New England and will be Quinn's first hire after carrying over Jim Caldwell from the Martin Mayhew regime. The Lions will have to wait until the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs to sign Patricia.

Yup, just waiting for the season to end and then Matty Patty becomes a Lion. Will be interesting to see if he brings Brendan Daly with him since it seems likely Austin is moving on.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, just waiting for the season to end and then Matty Patty becomes a Lion. Will be interesting to see if he brings Brendan Daly with him since it seems likely Austin is moving on.

I'm so freaking pumped, bro. So hope we employ the 3-4 defense. I bet Cooter stays as OC. You could be right about Daly.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so freaking pumped, bro. So hope we employ the 3-4 defense. I bet Cooter stays as OC. You could be right about Daly.

I hope they use a hybrid like the pats. They switch the defense formation a lot through the game.

...Van Noy would be nice to have now

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever is brought in, just win the freakin' home games. Nothing more frustrating this year than being out of the running because the Lions couldn't get the deal done every time at home.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love the new Avi, LOL. We will have to add a bunch of LBs though. We could use Ziggy as an OLB if he stays. Worilow has been disappointing so far. Not sure I see where he would fit in a 3-4. A'shawn can play the 1 technique as could Ngata (although he is down to his last year). Personnel will be an issue is what I am getting at.

I hope they use a hybrid like the pats. They switch the defense formation a lot through the game.

I agree. This is the way the go. Still I prefer the 3-4 as the base.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree on the "Hybrid" 3-4/4-3 this year and more of a 3-4 in the next few years. Would give them time to get the personnel they need to make the switch over a years time.