• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Coach

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two favorites are also Franklin and Golden. Al could bring D'Onfrio too.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two favorites are also Franklin and Golden. Al could bring D'Onfrio too.

Bringing D'noforio is the only negative with Al. Woudl love to see a different DC if we get AL. Apparently Miami beat writer says Al Golden watch is very real at Miami and many are very worried

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now youre talkin. Seriously I hope you guys get Franklin. I think Golden is highly overrated.

Golden has improved every year everywhere he's been. Took a program from the door of being shut down, Temple, and won 9 games in a few years. Took miami under sanctions and void of talent after Shannon destroyed them and has them at 9 wins and a top 6 class. I'd prefer Franklin, but will be very happy with Al as well.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden has improved every year everywhere he's been. Took a program from the door of being shut down, Temple, and won 9 games in a few years. Took miami under sanctions and void of talent after Shannon destroyed them and has them at 9 wins and a top 6 class. I'd prefer Franklin, but will be very happy with Al as well.

It seems the reason both Franklin and Golden had success is because they are outstanding recruiters. You recruit top notch talent that fit your system and play them to win games. Franklin has a edge over Golden to me because he won with less talent and got kids to commit to Vandy which isn't known for football but for its academics. If Franklin can win in the so called best conference SEC then imagine what he could do at PSU.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems the reason both Franklin and Golden had success is because they are outstanding recruiters. You recruit top notch talent that fit your system and play them to win games. Franklin has a edge over Golden to me because he won with less talent and got kids to commit to Vandy which isn't known for football but for its academics. If Franklin can win in the so called best conference SEC then imagine what he could do at PSU.

Randy Shannon left Miami gutted and they were under sanctions. Golden has not had a class ranked below 14. I'm more pro franklin, but his only win over a good team was over a very banged up UGA this year. They avoided Bama, LSU and USC.

I think either will crush it in the PA/NJ/VA/MD area recruiting, Golden obviously now has many Florida ties to offer as well.

Another big plus with Al is that this is his dream job. We'd need a nice buyout clause with Franklin or have to worry about NFL teams calling on him

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Franklin because of what he has done with what he has. Vanderbilt has strict academic requirements for their players and don't exactly get the top recruits each year. To do what he has done in the SEC is downright awesome. The Big Ten top to bottom struggles against the SEC and this guy knows how to do it. Give him Penn State level facilities and recruits and I think he'll be a great success.

That said I'd also be more than happy with Golden.

Right now I have more of a list of people I don't want to see be head coach than I want to be the head coach. We cannot hire somebody that has been here for a long time such as Johnson or Bradley (I have seen a few people in other places mentioning him). I love the guys to death, but coaching is like a gene pool and these guys have been wading in the same pool for entirely too long to assemble a quality product. The product in this case being a staff of quality assistant coaches who could take us to the next level. We need guys who have spent time elsewhere throughout the NCAA and/or NFL during their careers that would have a wide pool from which to draw their assistants from.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Al did at Temple is amazing. Guy gets rewarded for what he did there with the Miami job only to barely open his suitcase before finding out about all the trouble they have. I have been on a couple of recruiting trips to Temple with my nephew and that isn't an easy place to recruit.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Franklin because of what he has done with what he has. Vanderbilt has strict academic requirements for their players and don't exactly get the top recruits each year. To do what he has done in the SEC is downright awesome. The Big Ten top to bottom struggles against the SEC and this guy knows how to do it. Give him Penn State level facilities and recruits and I think he'll be a great success.

That said I'd also be more than happy with Golden.

Right now I have more of a list of people I don't want to see be head coach than I want to be the head coach. We cannot hire somebody that has been here for a long time such as Johnson or Bradley (I have seen a few people in other places mentioning him). I love the guys to death, but coaching is like a gene pool and these guys have been wading in the same pool for entirely too long to assemble a quality product. The product in this case being a staff of quality assistant coaches who could take us to the next level. We need guys who have spent time elsewhere throughout the NCAA and/or NFL during their careers that would have a wide pool from which to draw their assistants from.

Bradley has less than a zero percent chance of coming back. I love LJ, but he's only been a DC for a week at this level when Joe was fired. I would puke if Caldwell were hired and Munchak has never had to recruit and doesn't exactly seem like a dynamic personality.

Franklin/Golden seem to be way out in front by all reports....thank god.

i think we'll know next week either way. Sounds like the process is moving along very well. Apparently the AP beat writer in Miami tweeted "the Al golden watch is VERY VERY real"

Last edited by a moderator:

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anybody predict which staff members Goldens would bring North?

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well crud I think Franklin is going to be ruled out based upon a comment on the ESPN blog.

"There are some character questions, though, after the Vanderbilt football r*pe case, as text messages from coaches are being sought as evidence. Could be an issue after what Penn State went through two years ago."

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well crud I think Franklin is going to be ruled out based upon a comment on the ESPN blog.

"There are some character questions, though, after the Vanderbilt football r*pe case, as text messages from coaches are being sought as evidence. Could be an issue after what Penn State went through two years ago."

NO, he's been completely cleared on that and DA said he absolutely did nothing wrong.

Sounds like franklin/Golden should know Monday Tuesday

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anybody predict which staff members Goldens would bring North?

NO idea, but he's apparently reached out to some potential assistants already should he get the job....no speciifc names were given to protect the sources, but sounds like he's ready to jump if he's offered. he also cancelled a radio appearance today and has not been returning calls of players, recruits and admin....at least according to ESPN radio in Miami

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin to interview Sunday, per National sources.

Sounds like we may have our pick of Al or Franklin....not a bad place to be,

jdl5136

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRANKLIN...FRANKLIN!!!! I think he keeps Hack and O'Connor happy, while bringing some recruits like Ritz mention in previous post

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRANKLIN...FRANKLIN!!!! I think he keeps Hack and O'Connor happy, while bringing some recruits like Ritz mention in previous post

Golden would as well. Hack almost went to Miami and they were in his final 4....family loves Al. They actually threw for more yards than PSU and had a more balanced offense than us.

jdl5136

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just more excited that we are a desirable destination :) unlike 2 years ago

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just more excited that we are a desirable destination :) unlike 2 years ago

Al wanted it then, but they couldn't hire him because of PSU ties and he really was upset about possibly leaving after 1 year at the U

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't they offered him (Golden) the job without talking with Franklin first on Sunday.