• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New FSU D... Now one of the most complicated

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same thing I was hearing about the UNC defense last spring. It worked really well for us!

This was from fall camp. Not sure about UNC. Different level of players we are talking about. Not a slap at UNC. And like I said in the OP will be fun to see. A huge change of pace from the last 30 years.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT doesn't run a 3-4 or a 3-5-3 (technically) because it doesn't make sense to with the personnel and recruiting philosophy they use. But they do run variations of every other one of those plus nickel and dime mixes. A defense being "complicated" (assuming you are meaning "hard to prepare for if you are the opposing offense) has a shit ton more to do with what kind of variation you can get out of each of those sets than the sets themselves. Masking a DE in a 9 technique against the outside shoulder of a TE who is breaking on a short slant to the flats and then having the DE break into zone coverage to the flats would be an example. Mix in inside zone blitzes to help defend the inside run game you have left stranded with the absence of the DE and, hopefully, scare the QB into making a quick pass to his check down TE and your big fat fuck DE picking it off and toting it to the EZ. < running hundreds of plays with multiple variations of shit like that from all 11 positions on the field is what makes an opposing QB scratch his head. Not how many formations you run.

Been doing some reading up on Bama lately have we?

:happy:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT doesn't run a 3-4 or a 3-5-3 (technically) because it doesn't make sense to with the personnel and recruiting philosophy they use. But they do run variations of every other one of those plus nickel and dime variations. A defense being "complicated" (assuming you are meaning "hard to prepare for if you are the opposing offense) has a shit ton more to do with what kind of variation you can get out of each of those sets than the sets themselves. Masking a DE in a 9 technique against the outside shoulder of a TE who is breaking on a short slant to the flats and then having the DE break into zone coverage to the flats would be an example. Mix in inside zone blitzes to help defend the inside run game you have left stranded with the absence of the DE and, hopefully, scare the QB into making a quick pass to his check down TE and your big fat fuck DE picking it off and toting it to the EZ. < running hundreds of plays with multiple variations of shit like that from all 11 positions on the field is what makes an opposing QB scratch his head. Not how many formations you run.

THe bold shows me you understand what I mean. The extra little kick to the new FSU D is that we will actually run something OTHER than a 4-3 defense. That is what has been run since Bobby Bowden came on campus. A huge difference between what has been run for over 30 years to what is being run now.

ALso need to remember that Pruitt was a top DC in Alabama high school football and worked under Saban so he is bringing some of that to the program as well.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was from fall camp. Not sure about UNC. Different level of players we are talking about. Not a slap at UNC. And like I said in the OP will be fun to see. A huge change of pace from the last 30 years.

I'm not sure how it isn't a slap at UNC. Either you're saying FSU is more talented individually, or they're smarter. There's no reason to assume either one. They had a ton of missed assigments, and were just not in position. It takes a lot of time to get used to the new schemes. However, the biggest difference is UNC changed from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5, so it's different since FSU will just be incorporating some changes.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT doesn't run a 3-4 or a 3-5-3 (technically) because it doesn't make sense to with the personnel and recruiting philosophy they use. But they do run variations of every other one of those plus nickel and dime mixes. A defense being "complicated" (assuming you are meaning "hard to prepare for if you are the opposing offense) has a shit ton more to do with what kind of variation you can get out of each of those sets than the sets themselves. Masking a DE in a 9 technique against the outside shoulder of a TE who is breaking on a short slant to the boundary and then having the DE break into zone coverage to the flats would be an example. Mix in inside zone blitzes to help defend the inside run game you have left stranded with the absence of the DE and, hopefully, scare the QB into making a quick pass to his check down TE and your big fat fuck DE picking it off and toting it to the EZ. < running hundreds of plays with multiple variations of shit like that from all 11 positions on the field is what makes an opposing QB scratch his head. Not how many formations you run.

:shocked:

My man, cam!

You can be pretty intelligent between dick jokes and hitting on kt!

:D

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how it isn't a slap at UNC. Either you're saying FSU is more talented individually, or they're smarter. There's no reason to assume either one. They had a ton of missed assigments, and were just not in position. It takes a lot of time to get used to the new schemes. However, the biggest difference is UNC changed from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5, so it's different since FSU will just be incorporating some changes.

The recruiting classes is what I meant. Not intelligence of the players. Yes the "star value" FSU gets is better than what UNC gets. Again not a slap in the face of UNC. And no we are not just implementing a few changes. They completely overhauled the entire scheme, variations on scheme, and starting lineup. THis is not keeping the defense as a base 4-3 with some packages here or there. It is re-writing the entire book and having no real base defense that is being used.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting classes is what I meant. Not intelligence of the players. Yes the "star value" FSU gets is better than what UNC gets. Again not a slap in the face of UNC. And no we are not just implementing a few changes. They completely overhauled the entire scheme, variations on scheme, and starting lineup. THis is not keeping the defense as a base 4-3 with some packages here or there. It is re-writing the entire book and having no real base defense that is being used.

UNC completely overhauled their defense last year as well. And, FSU getting better recruits doesn't recruit to FSU having more talented players than UNC. Just compare the players UNC has had drafted in recent years to FSU. FSU is really talented, but this sounds like something that will take time for the defense to get accustomed to. Again, it's just my opinion based off of what I saw at Carolina.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds a lot like what we do. I wouldn't call it more complicated just more versatile.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC completely overhauled their defense last year as well. And, FSU getting better recruits doesn't recruit to FSU having more talented players than UNC. Just compare the players UNC has had drafted in recent years to FSU. FSU is really talented, but this sounds like something that will take time for the defense to get accustomed to. Again, it's just my opinion based off of what I saw at Carolina.

TO the bold. Like I said will be fun to watch and will have to wait. According to the players it is less complicated than what was previously done due to the amount of different things the DEs and LBs were asked to do. They are extremely excited about this system and that it is based on attacking and not sitting back and waiting.

As far as the NFL draft. Yes the last few years under Bobby player development absolutely sucked on the defense and offense(Until Jimbo showed up). Since Jimbo has been there the amount of players taken and first round drafts have skyrocketed back to what they once were. UNC had a great run under Davis. Too bad the other crap that came along with that.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds a lot like what we do. I wouldn't call it more complicated just more versatile.

More complicated for opposing offenses. Not the defense itself.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe bold shows me you understand what I mean. The extra little kick to the new FSU D is that we will actually run something OTHER than a 4-3 defense. That is what has been run since Bobby Bowden came on campus. A huge difference between what has been run for over 30 years to what is being run now.

ALso need to remember that Pruitt was a top DC in Alabama high school football and worked under Saban so he is bringing some of that to the program as well.

FSU has never had an "uncomplicated" D though. I don't think it was in the ballpark as some others as far as being complicated, but it was more than just 4-3 sets. When FSU's D has been historically good, it was because of elite athleticism. And that can be just as bad or worse to defend against depending on the opposing team's personnel. It's usually undersized but fast defenses (like VT) and oversized yet strong defenses (like Alabama) that have to get cute on that side of the ball to maximize their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Getting "cute" like that has it's disadvantages just like everything else in football though. Ask VT fans how many times in the last 10 years they've seen their defense hold offenses to 150 total yards or less and had 2 or 3 plays during the game almost double that total. Pro's and con's to everything.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU has never had an "uncomplicated" D though. I don't think it was in the ballpark as some others as far as being complicated, but it was more than just 4-3 sets. When FSU's D has been historically good, it was because of elite athleticism. And that can be just as bad or worse to defend against depending on the opposing team's personnel. It's usually undersized but fast defenses (like VT) and oversized yet strong defenses (like Alabama) that have to get cute on that side of the ball to maximize their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Getting "cute" like that has it's disadvantages just like everything else in football though. Ask VT fans how many times in the last 10 years they've seen their defense hold offenses to 150 total yards or less and had 2 or 3 plays during the game almost double that total. Pro's and con's to everything.

Scheme wise FSU was really easy to figure out. 4-3 cover 2 man to man with basically zero zone. Everyone knew what they were going to run every single play. They knew what they would do on each down too. But yes in the historically great FSU defenses it was the freak athleticism across the board that made the difference in that scheme. Now it is going to be more than just freakish ability that teams will have to consider(which I really like). There are pros and cons to everything. I also expect "growing pains", but I am generally excited about this new direction defensively. I have not been this excited about the FSU defense since the 2003 season. We had a ton of talent from 2004-2009, but had a DC who no longer wanted to be there which made for poor player development and poor defenses to match the horrible offenses those years. Cannot wait because even though we lost A LOT of talent on the D this past draft they seem to have reloaded the entire defense. With some personnel suprises to match the new scheme and direction.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked:

My man, cam!

You can be pretty intelligent between dick jokes and hitting on kt!

:D

Hey, if I could find a job that utilized big bewbs, xrays, and football....I would be alright. I was aiming for a medical imaging job with the Lingerie Football league, but I think they bit the dust. :pout:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know complicated till you try and learn Nebraskas match up zone concepts.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

I was already confident that we could beat FSU this year, now I'm doing a happy dance.

:laugh3:

Confident they can beat FSU. Same team as last year and what happened? A loss at Home. Will be 4 in a row this year.