• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New FSU D... Now one of the most complicated

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading some on Jeremy Pruitt the new DC at FSU. He is using a couple Alabama defensive tricks, but bringing so many packages other than Bama that this might as well be an NFL defensive playbook. This is the first time since 1980 that FSU will not run a 4-3 defense exclusively. FSU is going to be running defenses of 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 4-4-3, and 3-5-3. They are cross training LBs to play DE. DE to play LB and DT. S to play LB. Holy shit talk about a complete about face to what has been done the last 30 some years. Will be a blast to watch this fall. No more sitting back with a bend, but do not break attitude.

According to many of the players they say there will be blitzes all day long from every single position. No rhyme or reason as to when they will be done either. All of this to confuse opposing OCs. So much of a change we now have a 6'4" 265 lb DE that is the starting Sam LB.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see those first few where they are playing with less than 11 players. That will be awesome.

:noidea:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see those first few where they are playing with less than 11 players. That will be awesome.

:noidea:

Good Lord some of you fans are just goofy. You damn well know that a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense means that there will be 2 CBs and 2 Safeties along with the front SEVEN. If you do not know this then stop watching football.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

But what else can be said about a VT fan?

lol at you bringing VT into it like you are hurting my feelings

And LOL at you thinking the more formations in your play book = the more complicated your defense is. 90% of cfb teams have variations of every formation you have listed there and then some. Up your football IQ if you want to start a thread bragging about how "complicated" FSU's defense is. :laugh3:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs their sarcasm meter calibrated.

Not really. My apologies. I am trying to read this, correct my kid's homework with him, and speak to the wife on the phone. Too many goddamn things going on at once.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at you bringing VT into it like you are hurting my feelings

And LOL at you thinking the more formations in your play book = the more complicated your defense is. 90% of cfb teams have variations of every formation you have listed there and then some. Up your football IQ if you want to start a thread bragging about how "complicated" FSU's defense is. :laugh3:

Actually most college teams do not have variations of these defenses. I have never seen VT run a 3-5-3, 5-2, or even a 3-4. Most college teams run a base 4-3 for starters. Some run a base 3-4. They may have pakcages for specific situations. That is completely different than what Pruitt is doing at FSU. There is no base defense or special packages like you are speaking about. They will run all of these formations and their variations during every game in against every scenario. A huge difference between what 99.9% of all teams do.

:lol: at telling me to up my CFB IQ.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. My apologies. I am trying to read this, correct my kid's homework with him, and speak to the wife on the phone. Too many goddamn things going on at once.

hang up on her. She'll understand.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hang up on her. She'll understand.

I may be 6'7" and 300 lbs, but my 5'2" 115lb wife can be one sadistic woman. Hanging up on her would cause the sadistic woman to come out. No thanks.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask Brent Venables what happens when you ask football players to think too much.
just say'in

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask Brent Venables what happens when you ask football players to think too much.
just say'in

According to the players they are actually having to think less in every package in this defense. They have been told from the get go to attack period. THat is why they all like this system. Even the veterans are stating this defense is much more damaging and confusing for opposing offenses.

Will have to wait and see though. I am going off of their words in interviews. I am just interested in seeing our new Sam LB hit some TE, WR, or RB coming across the middle.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No problem. Take care of your wife and kid. It was a bad joke.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complicated scheme + FSU "Student" athletes

What could go wrong :noidea:

tumblr_m6h6y78WmY1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

FSU, Football Schemes, Players = really good. FSU players and class = average minus some exceptions.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same thing I was hearing about the UNC defense last spring. It worked really well for us!

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean you won't lose to an unranked team for once?

:becky:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually most college teams do not have variations of these defenses. I have never seen VT run a 3-5-3, 5-2, or even a 3-4. Most college teams run a base 4-3 for starters. Some run a base 3-4. They may have pakcages for specific situations. That is completely different than what Pruitt is doing at FSU. There is no base defense or special packages like you are speaking about. They will run all of these formations and their variations during every game in against every scenario. A huge difference between what 99.9% of all teams do.

:lol: at telling me to up my CFB IQ.

VT doesn't run a 3-4 or a 3-5-3 (technically) because it doesn't make sense to with the personnel and recruiting philosophy they use. But they do run variations of every other one of those plus nickel and dime mixes. A defense being "complicated" (assuming you are meaning "hard to prepare for if you are the opposing offense) has a shit ton more to do with what kind of variation you can get out of each of those sets than the sets themselves. Masking a DE in a 9 technique against the outside shoulder of a TE who is breaking on a short slant to the boundary and then having the DE break into zone coverage to the flats would be an example. Mix in inside zone blitzes to help defend the inside run game you have left stranded with the absence of the DE and, hopefully, scare the QB into making a quick pass to his check down TE and your big fat fuck DE picking it off and toting it to the EZ. < running hundreds of plays with multiple variations of shit like that from all 11 positions on the field is what makes an opposing QB scratch his head. Not how many formations you run.

Last edited by a moderator: