• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New FSU D... Now one of the most complicated

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU was #2 in total defense last season and #23 in total offense. I think I would want improvement on the offense if I was an FSU fan. ?????

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU was #2 in total defense last season and #23 in total offense. I think I would want improvement on the offense if I was an FSU fan. ?????

Averaged almost 40 pts per game. Not really needing any improvement on either side of the ball. Only thing that needs improving is the "let down or looking ahead" which has been an FSU staple unfortunately for the last 30 years.

It is just going to be nice to see a lot of variety to our defense with blitzes and packages instead of relying soley on the DEs to get pressure. Just a nice change of pace.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be mistaken but I thought FSU led the country in sacks last year under little Stoops. The game I watched them play against Florida it seemed like the O was the thing that let you down. But like I said I only watched one game.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was mistaken (nothing new) In your two losses NC state scored a whopping 17 points. Can blame that one on the D but Florida scored 37. They only did that against one other team and that was USCe. That is a bad day for the defense. I always look at from the standpoint that if the D is holding them under 21 they are doing their job.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be mistaken but I thought FSU led the country in sacks last year under little Stoops. The game I watched them play against Florida it seemed like the O was the thing that let you down. But like I said I only watched one game.

Top 5 in sacks last year, but led the year before. The O had a bad game against FL for sure, but so did the D. Once Pease(UF OC) went to the 6 OL set it was all done because we had no other type of defense to combat that package. 4 DL to 6 OL is a huge mismatch. Now we will be able to use the 5-2 defense to counteract that.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was mistaken (nothing new) In your two losses NC state scored a whopping 17 points. Can blame that one on the D but Florida scored 37. They only did that against one other team and that was USCe. That is a bad day for the defense. I always look at from the standpoint that if the D is holding them under 21 they are doing their job.

It was 16-0 at half against NC State. The D gave up 17 points on dink and dunk crossing routes across the middle(LB coverage). The offense that game was rolling the first half and then the 2nd half they literally had a shit load of poor execution(the same plays were run in both halves). Granted we had 2 new guys on the OL. One that had only played 8 games of football prior to that game. His name is Menelik Watson and was drafted in the 2nd round this year. Then the other guy is Cameron Erving who had never played a single down on the OL. He came to FSU as a DE. A lot of blitzes went at these guys in that 2nd half and it showed badly.

I had no problem with the production of the defense under Mark Stoops. It will just be nice to see packages to defend against certain things. Instead of asking the DEs to get all of the pressure. Variety is the spice of life and we will have that now.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU went on to win the 16th and final BCS championship this year.
giphy.gif

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU went on to win the 16th and final BCS championship this year.
giphy.gif

On the surface, the above response, from a 5-year old thread, has all the
attributes of a poster seeking to convince himself that this hire was a good move.

That's still remains to be seen. If UT would have hired me as their HC, it would
have been an improvement over Jones.

Pruitt did not repeat that magic at UGA. The reason was rather simple. UGA did
not have the same skill set players that FSU had.

Stoops never maximized his defenses at FSU because we recruit players to run to
the ball, and his constant zone coverage had our entire back 7 playing on their heals
instead of taking advantage of their speed. Pruitt would attack with his linebackers, thus
he played to our strengths. However, he also had our back 7 with multiple assignments
on every play. Auburn had an entire season of games to watch and scout us and it almost
worked for them. 3 times in that title game, Auburn had receivers running all alone down the
center of the field. They baited us all day long, and when the time was right they would
hit the big play. Fortunately, one receiver dropped the ball and we had the ball last so we
won.

The biggest issue facing Pruitt at UT will be player morale. He left FSU after one season
because of his activity with FSU coeds. He's not going to like his players assaulting
some of his own personal squeezes. That could be a problem.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not allowed to "chill out."

When I first signed up to post on this board...management told me, I would be responsible
for bringing posters back from lala land and into reality.

They told me it would be a thankless job, with many insults, but someone had to do it.

I agreed to their terms.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has disaster written all over it, if they are truly trying to have multiple fronts with multiple personnel. Perhaps I am interpreting this incorrectly and it's the standard multiple 3-4 defense. A 3-4 can mimic a 5-2, 4-3, and a 3-3-5 quite easily. Just imagine a 3-4 with the OLBs on the LOS, it essentially a 5-2. Make a strong call and you walk the strongside OLB up, looks like a 4-3. Replace a LB with a safety and now it's a 3-3-5.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I didn't realize this was an old post from 2013. Ignore that last post

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I didn't realize this was an old post from 2013. Ignore that last post
No no we were all mesmerize by your analytical skills.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013...2018...what does it matter.

It's still the same theme...

"Tennessee Football...Searching for relevancy since 2005!"

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny shit.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013...2018...what does it matter.

It's still the same theme...

"Tennessee Football...Searching for relevancy since 2005!"
Relax fella. There are still 5/6 months until college football starts back up. Other than posting up our ooc schedules, speculating, and talking about who got arrested.... there isn't much going on. The brothers are as cool as it comes, tin man is a little out there but a good guy, and I talk more shit about what goes on in Knoxville than anyone on the board. No one is expecting much. 6-6 would be great. Hopefully the future is bright. For someone like you, who carries a great deal of knowledge when it comes to talking about football, I find it funny that a team like Tennessee rustles those fucking jimmies as much as I have with this thread.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know...he's got something here. Well, from my personal experience anyway.

That's actually saying a great deal.

The only time any coach should want his players thinking is when the play is signaled in from
the sideline or the defensive scheme is signaled in. Then they have a few seconds to digest what
they have to do.

The offense should have it the easiest. But, sometimes coaches outcoach themselves by adding
in "options" for their players. Example when the QB and the WR each must read the db to determine
the route. That's a problem just waiting to happen. The wr makes one move and runs the skinny post.
The QB throws the 5-yard out and the db winds up with the ball running 60 yards for a pick 6.

Defense, when they have multiple tasks, just hang on, because you don't really know what's going
to happen.

I know that all coaches say they scout themselves, but I really question that. I know FSU couldn't
possibly be scouting our own defense, not when we had the exact same breakdown in every game
for 4 years. There always was one or two times in a game, where wr's were running all alone down the
center of the field. One game the opponent ran a wheel route where we didn't have anybody
in the same area code as the receiver.

The opponents are jumping up and down celebrating and our db's and lb's are all just staring
at each other, wondering what happened.

NASA doesn't hire Walmart employees to program the reentry of a capsule. Coaches should never
put future Walmart employees in a position where they have to think when the ball is snapped.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually saying a great deal.

The only time any coach should want his players thinking is when the play is signaled in from
the sideline or the defensive scheme is signaled in. Then they have a few seconds to digest what
they have to do.

The offense should have it the easiest. But, sometimes coaches outcoach themselves by adding
in "options" for their players. Example when the QB and the WR each must read the db to determine
the route. That's a problem just waiting to happen. The wr makes one move and runs the skinny post.
The QB throws the 5-yard out and the db winds up with the ball running 60 yards for a pick 6.

Defense, when they have multiple tasks, just hang on, because you don't really know what's going
to happen.

I know that all coaches say they scout themselves, but I really question that. I know FSU couldn't
possibly be scouting our own defense, not when we had the exact same breakdown in every game
for 4 years. There always was one or two times in a game, where wr's were running all alone down the
center of the field. One game the opponent ran a wheel route where we didn't have anybody
in the same area code as the receiver.

The opponents are jumping up and down celebrating and our db's and lb's are all just staring
at each other, wondering what happened.

NASA doesn't hire Walmart employees to program the reentry of a capsule. Coaches should never
put future Walmart employees in a position where they have to think when the ball is snapped.
Our issues in the past had basically taken away some of the natural athletic abilities of the kids out there playing.

Way too many contingencies overlapping in coverages between 2nd and 3rd level.

Sometimes you just have to let the athletes "athlete", the coaching staff is supposed to be doing the heavy lifting when thought is required....it shouldn't be dependant on athletes to be making so many snap judgments on the field in real time.

Now, some of these kids can handle it. Baker Mayfield has an awesome head for the game, he can parse a lot of information very quickly and react accordingly. Let's acknowledge that some of these guise ain't come to play school...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU is fucked with Taggart at the wheel.