• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's at A's ; July 2nd - 5th

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult to criticize the Beltre signing. I'm only in my 20s, but in my lifetime of watching baseball, I can't say I've seen a better defensive third baseman than Adrian Beltre.

In addition, let's be real here, PEDs played a serious role.

Prior to 2004 (the year he hit 48 HRs with a .334 average), his career triple slash line was .262/.320/.428 with a 162 game average of 20 HRs a year. During his tenure with the Mariners, his triple slash line was .266/.317/.442 with a 162 game average of 24 HRs a year.

He probably juiced in 2004 and when he left the Mariners.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that I really do have trouble understanding is why it seems like hitters regress so seriously when they come to Seattle and improve so significantly when they leave. Safeco obviously plays a mild part in it, but looking at Trumbo, what the fuck happened?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult to criticize the Beltre signing. I'm only in my 20s, but in my lifetime of watching baseball, I can't say I've seen a better defensive third baseman than Adrian Beltre.

Prior to 2004 (the year he hit 48 HRs with a .334 average), his career triple slash line was .262/.320/.428 with a 162 game average of 20 HRs a year. During his tenure with the Mariners, his triple slash line was .266/.317/.442 with a 162 game average of 24 HRs a ye

I personally thought the Beltrr signing was good and was a little pissed they let him go

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Beltre was it seemed like an ego thing. He was and is the ideal hitter for Safeco Field. When he decided to go the opposite way he would catch fire as he was the closest thing to Edgar they have had since Edgar, but it seemed he'd rather try to pull the ball so hard and fall on his knee like he did so much.

With Sexson he just lost it physically. It's hard to complain about his production when he did exactly what he was paid to do until he completely lost his bat speed.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Beltre was it seemed like an ego thing. He was and is the ideal hitter for Safeco Field. When he decided to go the opposite way he would catch fire as he was the closest thing to Edgar they have had since Edgar, but it seemed he'd rather try to pull the ball so hard and fall on his knee like he did so much.

With Sexson he just lost it physically. It's hard to complain about his production when he did exactly what he was paid to do until he completely lost his bat speed.

Agreed. For two years, Sexson did his job perfectly as asked for. Drove in 100 guys with 30 HRs each year. He just started to lose it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how when we actually do manage to get 2 on with 1 out, we still don't manage to score.

Felix already given up a run with no outs and two on.

Great.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that I really do have trouble understanding is why it seems like hitters regress so seriously when they come to Seattle and improve so significantly when they leave. Safeco obviously plays a mild part in it, but looking at Trumbo, what the fuck happened?

That's all i'm referring to... I don't understand it either but it's very well documented that hitters regress for some reason when they come to play for the Mariners...

Last year, I thought we finally got over that hurdle when Cano hit as well as he did and then he hasn't played nearly up to his expectations so far this season...

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all i'm referring to... I don't understand it either but it's very well documented that hitters regress for some reasons when they come to play for the Mariners...

Last year, I thought we finally got over that hurdle when Cano hit as well as he did and then he hasn't played nearly up to his expectations so far this season...

A lot of people chalk it up to Safeco Field, but when you look at their home/away splits their BA/HR total at Safeco isn't much different from their away total. Not only do you see an overall regression, but typically hitters away statistics also regress. It's really confusing.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we can't groom our own, so that just isn't feasible. I mean, who was the last hitter that the M's actually brought up through their system? Seager? Well, can't be, his numbers aren't any better than Beltre's were when Beltre was here.

Yeah, I see what you're saying... It is tough to groom your own but we've found that it's also tough to bring in a guy for offensive production and then watch him not meet expectations over and over...

Edgar, Jr, Arod were 3 of our own we groomed thru our system...

Seager's been solid but I expected more from him this season to be honest, especially with Cano and Cruz hitting in front of him... I thought this was going to be his bust out season...

I really thought Zunino would hit around the .250 mark with 25 plus dingers or so... I still think he's going to be a solid catcher for us down the road, a guy we're grooming... Jury is still out on Zunino though...

Jury is also still out on Miller, Taylor, Montero... We know Ackley's done and moving on...

Altogether, I know Z tried to groom his own and then sign a few FA's to surround them with... Ackley, Zunino, Seager, Montero, Miller were supposed to be our foundation - only Seager has shown signs of being the sure thing out of the bunch...

It's just disappointing all the way around... Seems like with all our top 5 draft picks in the 1st round for all those season in the 2k plus era, we'd had been able to find a stud...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would McClendon have Jesus Sucre catch Felix Hernandez?

For whatever reason, this year Felix has pitched a lot better when Zunino is catching him.

Felix's stats when Zunino is catching: 2.89 ERA
Felix's stats when Sucre is catching: 4.85 ERA

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people chalk it up to Safeco Field, but when you look at their home/away splits their BA/HR total at Safeco isn't much different from their away total. Not only do you see an overall regression, but typically hitters away statistics also regress. It's really confusing.

Boston had the "Curse of the Bambino"... Do we have the "Curse of A-Rodino" or something?:gaah:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have a mild amount of faith in Zunino.

In terms of his pitch framing and defensive ability, he is top tier. His strikeout rate and batting average is just pathetic though, and it doesn't appear that it is getting any better.

If Zunino could somehow make contact more frequently, he has the strength and natural ability to hit 25-30 HRs, but at this point, I can't make a compelling argument that Zunino is showing any signs of making more frequent contact.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prior to 2004 (the year he hit 48 HRs with a .334 average), his career triple slash line was .262/.320/.428 with a 162 game average of 20 HRs a year. During his tenure with the Mariners, his triple slash line was .266/.317/.442 with a 162 game average of 24 HRs a year.

At the time, I loved the signing... I also loved his glove as well... But his offensive production was very disappointing... He was one of my favorite players on the team during his time but if you actually look at it, we didn't have much of anything to cheer about... I was never really a big Ichiro fan when he was a Mariner...
The "Slappy Jappy"..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time, I loved the signing... I also loved his glove as well... But his offensive production was very disappointing... He was one of my favorite players on the team during his time but if you actually look at it, we didn't have much of anything to cheer about... I was never really a big Ichiro fan when he was a Mariner...
The "Slappy Jappy"..

I always loved watching Beltre play. Amazing defensively and something about how he swung the bat I always liked watching. It's not surprising he ended up hitting so well when he left. I'd bet good money he didn't roid with the Mariners but started again when he left.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so upset when the Mariners drafted Jeff Clement... I really wanted them to take Troy Tulowitski or Ryan Braun... I mean our SS at the time was Yuniesky Betancourt so I don't know why they wouldn't have taken Tulowitski... We had Randy Winn as one of our OF's, taking Braun made a lot of sense as well...

We had Wilson and Olivo at the time... I can't remember if we drafted Clement to play 1B or not...

Easy to play the shoulda, woulda, coulda's but I just remember that draft being really upset that we had taken Clement... We missed out on our stud that season...

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so upset when the Mariners drafted Jeff Clement... I really wanted them to take Troy Tulowitski or Ryan Braun... I mean our SS at the time was Yuniesky Betancourt so I don't know why they wouldn't have taken Tulowitski... We had Randy Winn as one of our OF's, taking Braun made a lot of sense as well...

We had Wilson and Olivo at the time... I can't remember if we drafted Clement to play 1B or not...

Easy to play the shoulda, woulda, coulda's but I just remember that draft being really upset that we had taken Clement... We missed out on our stud that season...

I think everyone was surprised we had selected Jeff Clement at the time. It seemed pretty predictable that the Mariners would've taken Troy Tulowitzki.

Everyone one of the first 7 selections in that draft made the All-Star game at least once in their career, with the exception of Jeff Clement.

Imagine if the Mariners had selected Tulowitzki in 2005, Clayton Kershaw instead of Brandon Morrow in 2006, Jason Heyward instead of Phillippe Aumont in 2007 and Anthony Rendon instead of Danny Hultzen in 2011.

If we hadn't traded Adam Jones and made those selections, we'd have a ridiculously good team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone was surprised we had selected Jeff Clement at the time. It seemed pretty predictable that the Mariners would've taken Troy Tulowitzki.

Everyone one of the first 7 selections in that draft made the All-Star game at least once in their career, with the exception of Jeff Clement.

Imagine if the Mariners had selected Tulowitzki in 2005, Clayton Kershaw instead of Brandon Morrow in 2006, Jason Heyward instead of Phillippe Aumont in 2007 and Anthony Rendon instead of Danny Hultzen in 2011.

If we hadn't traded Adam Jones and made those selections, we'd have a ridiculously good team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Don't even get me going on the Adam Jones trade... :scratch:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even get me going on the Adam Jones trade... :scratch:

At the time, trading for Bedard made sense since our rotation was an absolute joke. Bedard was a really good pitcher who was only 28 and coming off a year in which he had 10.9 strikeouts per 9 innings. Chris Snelling would've been an appropriate guy to send, he was the 4th ranked player in the Mariners system at the time and the Mariners also sent 4 other guys (including George Sherrill and Chris Tillman), sending Jones as well was just overkill.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh... Seager hit that hard... Thought it was gone...

What was your expectations for Seager going into the season with Cano, Cruz hitting in front of him?