• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated rock star

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen...Randy Travis, Clint Black, Garth Brooks. I just view them as corporate Nashville puppets. Someone posted earlier about how Boston's songs all sounded the same. They were a good example of the corporate arena rock groups popular in the 70's. These country artists I mentioned are ironically similar.

Agreed about Randy Travis and especially Garth Brooks. In fact, Garth Brooks is probably my least favorite artist of all time, any genre.

But, I don't think Clint Black deserves to be lumped in with those two. His music wasn't for everyone, but unlike the other two, Clint Black was at least an accomplished song writer, and could play a mean harmonica.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that say Country and Western are wrong. IMO, Western is a subgenre of Country music. There's plenty of exceptions, but for the most part, I don't really get into the Western side of Country.
Actually you can make the argument that Western Swing existed before country. Artists like Merle Travis and Jimmy Rodgers were around before Hank Williams. I look at it this way, you cannot have rock without country music. It doesn't mean you have to be a fan, but you at least need to appreciate the origins.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about Randy Travis and especially Garth Brooks. In fact, Garth Brooks is probably my least favorite artist of all time, any genre.

But, I don't think Clint Black deserves to be lumped in with those two. His music wasn't for everyone, but unlike the other two, Clint Black was at least an accomplished song writer, and could play a mean harmonica.

Undertand your point. I think for me, I have a hard time with Clint because he was a contemporary of GB and I just naturally lob them in together.

When it comes to my country prefs, I have tended to stick with less mainstream artists

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... and Stevie Nicks was hot af. I think she's underrated when people talk about female rock singer/songwriters...

and did I mention that she was hot af ? I need a couple of minutes after I watch the last 90 seconds of this.

Speaking of female rock singers? Heart? Fucking great. I admit I cannot keep Anne and Nancy straight but whoever sang had some fantastic pipes and the other was a tremendous guitarist

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you can make the argument that Western Swing existed before country. Artists like Merle Travis and Jimmy Rodgers were around before Hank Williams. I look at it this way, you cannot have rock without country music. It doesn't mean you have to be a fan, but you at least need to appreciate the origins.

Jimmie Rodgers and Merle Travis weren't western swing.

Western Swing did predate Hank Williams of course, but Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were the big names there.

But when I think of Western, I don't think of Western Swing(Bob Wills is the reason I learned how to play the fiddle BTW). I think of your Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Eddy Arnold Types.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmie Rodgers and Merle Travis weren't western swing.

Western Swing did predate Hank Williams of course, but Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were the big names there.

But when I think of Western, I don't think of Western Swing(Bob Wills is the reason I learned how to play the fiddle BTW). I think of your Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Eddy Arnold Types.
Dont talk back to me boy

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back to the spirit of the thread another band that should get more credit is THE BAND

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did Nancy Drew. What of it? As I said when they got to Rock the Casbah I was done. But their earlier stuff was refreshing because its as bare and totally different from that arena rock and glam stuff happening at the same time.

You are an idiot, that is all, i'd say more but I got a murder to solve...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont talk back to me boy

But, seriously. Jimmie Rodgers is who I consider to be the first ever Country artists, and I'f classify him more as Country-Blues. And Merle Travis, I would consider to be Country-Folk, who's songwriting resonated more with bluegrass acts than Country acts through the years.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Mattews is just glorified college radio music. Its appeal is driven by suburbanite college kids or wannabe suburbanite college kids

Thanks for explaining, I was worried he was liked by non suburbanite college kids, I feel better now...

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, seriously. Jimmie Rodgers is who I consider to be the first ever Country artists, and I'f classify him more as Country-Blues. And Merle Travis, I would consider to be Country-Folk, who's songwriting resonated more with bluegrass acts than Country acts through the years.
Fair enough...we may be splitting hairs here

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

IMO, if Keith Whitley didn't die so young, he'd be at the top of the list and is already top 5.

And if we were ever to do an overrated Country star thread, Randy Travis would be mentioned by me.

Different strokes, I guess.

No, not really, I don't like country music at all, I was drunk and couldn't think of anything I liked then I remembered 30 years ago I liked forever and ever song...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not really, I don't like country music at all, I was drunk and couldn't think of anything I liked then I remembered 30 years ago I liked forever and ever song...

Fair enough.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably used to rub one off watching the Judds...and the Mom wasn't what did it for ya
wynonnajuddmug1.jpg

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize you just kind of wrote a country song right there?