• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated rock star

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roumors is awesome.

Yes... and Stevie Nicks was hot af. I think she's underrated when people talk about female rock singer/songwriters...

and did I mention that she was hot af ? I need a couple of minutes after I watch the last 90 seconds of this.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... and Stevie Nicks was hot af. I think she's underrated when people talk about female rock singer/songwriters...

and did I mention that she was hot af ? I need a couple of minutes after I watch the last 90 seconds of this.

She kinda looks like Carrie Fisher in some of her pictures.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd disagree in the lyrics department. Like you say...two different bands but Zeps lyrics were top notch for what they were.

I was going to leave this alone because Zep is one of my favorite groups. But I just can't. It would be like me equating Richards' and Page's guitar skills and saying they're just different styles.

The Stones.. Jagger primarily, wrote about real things in a smart, rude often wickedly funny way. It's a large part of what separated the from The Beatles early on. Their lyrics can stand alone. Some of them have become part of the cultural language.

Zep's lyrics, Plant's primarily, are mostly a lot of spacey nonsense with some Tolkien and mythological references tossed in at times to make them appear more than they are... and those are the more interesting ones.

The Stones lyrics often raised their songs to another level. The only purpose for Zep's were that they needed some words.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beatles got better when they stopped touring ... some of their music was experimental and some was just fucking great!!!!
Not a Beatles fan, but I do respect the advances they pioneered in music production, song writing, and marketing.

I just dont consider them a rock band...more pop

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to leave this alone because Zep is one of my favorite groups. But I just can't. It would be like me equating Richards' and Page's guitar skills and saying they're just different styles.

The Stones.. Jagger primarily, wrote about real things in a smart, rude often wickedly funny way. It's a large part of what separated the from The Beatles early on. Their lyrics can stand alone. Some of them have become part of the cultural language.

Zep's lyrics, Plant's primarily, are mostly a lot of spacey nonsense with some Tolkien and mythological references tossed in at times to make them appear more than they are... and those are the more interesting ones.

The Stones lyrics often raised their songs to another level. The only purpose for Zep's were that they needed some words.
I definitely love Zeppelin, but I recall reading something by Jimmy Page a few years ago in which he said the band always thought of itself as primarily a blues band as that is where many of their influences came from. He said that if they would have been active 20 years earlier they would not have delved into the psychedelic culture but because that was their culture in the 60's-70's it was how they expressed their music because it was easy to market

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything country the last 30 years is overrated aside from Randy Travis...
I hope that was clumsy sarcasm on your part? Randy Travis?

I am simply going to assume you like getting bombed on red wine and wandering into traffic naked

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything country the last 30 years is overrated aside from Randy Travis...

Really?

IMO, if Keith Whitley didn't die so young, he'd be at the top of the list and is already top 5.

And if we were ever to do an overrated Country star thread, Randy Travis would be mentioned by me.

Different strokes, I guess.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody said The Clash? What the fuck is wrong with you?
I did Nancy Drew. What of it? As I said when they got to Rock the Casbah I was done. But their earlier stuff was refreshing because its as bare and totally different from that arena rock and glam stuff happening at the same time.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

IMO, if Keith Whitley didn't die so young, he'd be at the top of the list and is already top 5.

And if we were ever to do an overrated Country star thread, Randy Travis would be mentioned by me.

Different strokes, I guess.
Amen...Randy Travis, Clint Black, Garth Brooks. I just view them as corporate Nashville puppets. Someone posted earlier about how Boston's songs all sounded the same. They were a good example of the corporate arena rock groups popular in the 70's. These country artists I mentioned are ironically similar.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You fit that demographic.

People that say Country and Western are wrong. IMO, Western is a subgenre of Country music. There's plenty of exceptions, but for the most part, I don't really get into the Western side of Country.