• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More fuel for the fire that is to burn Marleau for the witch hunt

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's good for 30 goals a year but there are still 3 major problems with Marleau:

1. He doesn't score goals at the right time

2. He basically plays the same style in the playoffs as he does in the regular season when most other players find another gear.

3. And then you have his laid back personality - it's a cancer on the team and affects the younger guys.

There's only been one person who's been through ALL of SJ's heartless letdowns starting with 2004 - not even Doug Wilson can claim that. SJ needs to wean itself from Marleau even if it means playing worse in the shorter term for longer term benefit.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau on whether being criticized for not showing enough emotion:

“If it wasn’t that, they’d find something else.”

amen to that lol

Like sand in his mangina? That response is Marleau in a nutshell. Barely a pulse.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau on whether being criticized for not showing enough emotion:

“If it wasn’t that, they’d find something else.”

amen to that lol

yes - like being fucking gutless...

The fact, in my opinion, is that he's the right peg in the wrong hole. If Patty was playing for DET on a line with Dats and Zets he'd probably be scoring 90 goals/yr.. He's just not the right guy to elevate a line of mediocre talent and carry the bulk of the responsibility on both sides of the puck.

If mgmt is still asking that of him after all the empirical evidence.. well, its clearly documented all over this board...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He doesnt score at the right time? But he has the most GWG in his draft class and i believe he either has the most or second most in playoff goal scoring in his draft class lol

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's grossly overpaid at this stage of his career.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't bother clicking the link to read what Timmay had to write about Marleau.... that dude knows less about hockey than Ray Ratto. He should stick to covering the Warriors or whatever the fuck he's good at, IMO.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stop defending marleau, the fact is he isn't getting it done in the playoffs consistently and I think we all know that by now. We need leaders not pretenders. just look at st.louis, everyone shows up for the playoffs consistently aka andy mcdonald. we obviously do not have the fire other teams carry. doesn't help that doug wilson trades all our players that have heart.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure he has lots of GWGs from the past, but when was the last one in the playoffs? Must have been two years ago.. receiving textbook JT breakaway pass against Det. in OT is all I can remember.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its time to stop talking about trading Marleau. He is a player that can't be replaced, and he like a lot of sharks had very poor years and it continued into the playoffs. I agree that your top players should perform, but Marleau isn't a game breaker. I see Marleau back as a shark next year and that's that.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ stop defending Marleau.

Uhh.. OK... and you stop being blinded by hatred?

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Patty's an easy target for people, and some people will bitch unless they win the Cup and he gets the Conn Smythe. He's been really good in many playoff series, sometimes being one of the only guys who's played well.
He didn't do shit vs the Blues, but I can pick out 10 other guys on the team that were just as bad. Or maybe the Blues were just that good.
The problem with this team is they didn't have a 3rd line, and you aren't going to go far in the playoffs without one. If they can fix that in the offseason, big if, I think they can contend next year. Another good D-man would definitely help too.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

lol, i really hope he gets traded so when this team misses the playoffs without him and the ownership group decides to dismantle this team completely to suckville status they will have something new to bitch about :panda::ss:

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if I could ever get to the level of negativity you're at but I'm just saying I have never really been a fan of Marleau. He might have the best playoff numbers on the Sharks but he is this quiet mega talented hockey player that consistently fails to show up in the playoffs and when he does it is too late.

Do you want a player on your team taking up a roster spot/salary space doing that? Don't care if he's the best Shark in the history of the team, It's not about superstars, it's about players with heart that raise the cup in the end. Marleau is definitely one of the bigger reasons this team couldn't go the distance. I just hate players that play half ass, that's why I could never like the guy.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't agree with you, so I will agree to disagree and move on, sorry.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i like how everyone thinks because he isnt emotionally out of control means he isnt trying or doesnt care lol

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau is just kinda "meh" when he takes the ice.
I expect more commitment, especially in the playoffs.
If he doesn't have the killer instinct, I don't see any reason to keep him.
He put up good numbers in non clutch situations but there's any number of lower price tag players that can do that.

Marleau is almost awesome. For what we're paying him we deserve more and if we trade him, then we can explore new options because Marleau clearly doesn't hhave the kller instinct required to lead a team to the Cup. The best Marleau can do is be an exceptional 2nd tier player on a strong team. As for the Sharks, he's a dud. The only reason he holds so many club records is because he's been on the same team his entire career.

Clearly he's never going to lead us to a Cup so why wouldn't we deal him for a future run at the Cup?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so what about the rest of the cast? All those asshats contributed just as much as marleau so do you trade them all? They all happen to have a shitty playoff at the same time yet everyone is focusing on Marleau its just funny, pick a guy to hate and dog pile i suppose

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone sucked this year, but he has been part of the entire Sharks playoff disappointments over the past decade. If you are around long enough your stats will look good, and that may hide the true story. How many playoff games has he been in? Of course, he has more po goals/points than any Shark based on the longevity, and he has had good series in that past. I want to see a Claude Giroux series out of him. Never seen one like that. For the money he gets paid, he should have carried the Sharks thru at least one playoff all the way thru to at least the finals. Not one series, disappear for the next. Not for that kind of money. That is why he is getting tarred and feathered and rightfully so in some ways. Could you imagine Marleau in Philly instead of San Jose playing the same style he has over the years? He would have been run of town by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone sucked this year, but he has been part of the entire Sharks playoff disappointments over the past decade. If you are around long enough your stats will look good, and that may hide the true story. How many playoff games has he been in? Of course, he has more po goals/points than any Shark based on the longevity, and he has had good series in that past. I want to see a Claude Giroux series out of him. Never seen one like that. For the money he gets paid, he should have carried the Sharks thru at least one playoff all the way thru to at least the finals. Not one series, disappear for the next. Not for that kind of money. That is why he is getting tarred and feathered and rightfully so in some ways. Could you imagine Marleau in Philly instead of San Jose playing the same style he has over the years? He would have been run of town by now.

True that, +Reps for Flying V as soon as I can give it again. My family is from Philly and I am a closet Flyers fan (please don't hate). The Flyers were expected to make big strides during the 2008-2009 season but they were bounced in the first round, the following season they were bounced in the second round and then last season they were bounced in the first round. Paul Holmgren knew his team and most importantly he knew the character or lack thereof, of his top guys, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. They were given a three year window to succeed and they failed, so Holmgren pulled the trigger, brought in a bunch of young hungry blue collar type working players and handed over the leadership reigns to his young superstar Claude Giroux, who will obviously be the next captain of this team. Patrick Marleau has been given a 7 year window, that is 7 years with him at the head of this team, that is 7 years of Stanley Cup expectations that have not been met. Marleau has been stripped of his captaincy, which any hockey fan should know is extremely alarming and yet he seems to get a free pass from management and most fans at the end of every failing season. It is time for Wilson to take a page out of Holmgrens book, adios Patricia! :wave: Anyway here comes a Claude Giroux slurp fest on my part. G is my favorite hockey player, I haven't seen a guy light up the Wells Fargo Center (formerly known as the Wachovia Center) since Jeremy Roenick, the difference is G does it much more frequently and is a much better player at this point in his career than JR was when he was in Philly. The passion, the fire, the love for the game and love for the city is all there. When G lights the lamp he connects with the crowd, he turns around and makes eye contact with them and screams, he is a very engaging player. He will knock the opposing team's best player on his butt and then skate down the ice and score a goal and now it's finally being seen nationally. There are a lot of keys to G's success, one of them is the great relationship he has with Coach Laviolette. I can't say that about any player on the Sharks and Coach McLellan. Anyway, my family full of Flyer fans, for as cynical as they all are, believe that Claude Giroux will win them a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately the Flyers achilles heel is goaltending, nothing new from previous seasons, except Mr. Universe Bryzgalov has a 9 year contract!!! :doh: No more Sharks? :Cry: Go Flyers! :rockon: