• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More fuel for the fire that is to burn Marleau for the witch hunt

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone sucked this year, but he has been part of the entire Sharks playoff disappointments over the past decade. If you are around long enough your stats will look good, and that may hide the true story. How many playoff games has he been in? Of course, he has more po goals/points than any Shark based on the longevity, and he has had good series in that past. I want to see a Claude Giroux series out of him. Never seen one like that. For the money he gets paid, he should have carried the Sharks thru at least one playoff all the way thru to at least the finals. Not one series, disappear for the next. Not for that kind of money. That is why he is getting tarred and feathered and rightfully so in some ways. Could you imagine Marleau in Philly instead of San Jose playing the same style he has over the years? He would have been run of town by now.

Exactly!

Look around the league, teams like Phoenix are red hot, up the tempo and everyone on that team is feeling it. I have NEVER seen a sharks playoff season like that.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that, +Reps for Flying V as soon as I can give it again. My family is from Philly and I am a closet Flyers fan (please don't hate). The Flyers were expected to make big strides during the 2008-2009 season but they were bounced in the first round, the following season they were bounced in the second round and then last season they were bounced in the first round. Paul Holmgren knew his team and most importantly he knew the character or lack thereof, of his top guys, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. They were given a three year window to succeed and they failed, so Holmgren pulled the trigger, brought in a bunch of young hungry blue collar type working players and handed over the leadership reigns to his young superstar Claude Giroux, who will obviously be the next captain of this team. Patrick Marleau has been given a 7 year window, that is 7 years with him at the head of this team, that is 7 years of Stanley Cup expectations that have not been met. Marleau has been stripped of his captaincy, which any hockey fan should know is extremely alarming and yet he seems to get a free pass from management and most fans at the end of every failing season. It is time for Wilson to take a page out of Holmgrens book, adios Patricia! :wave: Anyway here comes a Claude Giroux slurp fest on my part. G is my favorite hockey player, I haven't seen a guy light up the Wells Fargo Center (formerly known as the Wachovia Center) since Jeremy Roenick, the difference is G does it much more frequently and is a much better player at this point in his career than JR was when he was in Philly. The passion, the fire, the love for the game and love for the city is all there. When G lights the lamp he connects with the crowd, he turns around and makes eye contact with them and screams, he is a very engaging player. He will knock the opposing team's best player on his butt and then skate down the ice and score a goal and now it's finally being seen nationally. There are a lot of keys to G's success, one of them is the great relationship he has with Coach Laviolette. I can't say that about any player on the Sharks and Coach McLellan. Anyway, my family full of Flyer fans, for as cynical as they all are, believe that Claude Giroux will win them a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately the Flyers achilles heel is goaltending, nothing new from previous seasons, except Mr. Universe Bryzgalov has a 9 year contract!!! :doh: No more Sharks? :Cry: Go Flyers! :rockon:

My daughter met a South Philly boy when she was a High School Junior and has been living there in South Philly down near Front St and 95 for 4 years now...walking distance to the arena(s). A Cali princess in South Philly. Got to love it...well my wife doesn't. Anyways her bf an obsessed Flyers fan, but she still loves the Sharks like me. She has adopted every other Philly team but the Flyers - lol. That annoys him because the Flyers can never beat the Sharks, Anyways I go there often, been to a fair amount of Flyers games too in the past few years. They are kind of my second team now too for the bfs sake. They sure take their Flyers hockey seriously there. Different sports culture. Definitely not a place for a Patrick Marleau. San Jose was definitely a perfect fit for his style.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everyone sucked this year, but he has been part of the entire Sharks playoff disappointments over the past decade. If you are around long enough your stats will look good, and that may hide the true story. How many playoff games has he been in? Of course, he has more po goals/points than any Shark based on the longevity, and he has had good series in that past. I want to see a Claude Giroux series out of him. Never seen one like that. For the money he gets paid, he should have carried the Sharks thru at least one playoff all the way thru to at least the finals. Not one series, disappear for the next. Not for that kind of money. That is why he is getting tarred and feathered and rightfully so in some ways. Could you imagine Marleau in Philly instead of San Jose playing the same style he has over the years? He would have been run of town by now.

He has the most Gwg/playoff goals of his draft class not just the sharks but the entire NHLthe blind hate is mind numbing

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the most Gwg/playoff goals of his draft class not just the sharks but the entire NHLthe blind hate is mind numbing

Drinking Grape Koolaid is mind numbing too :) But anyways, what about that -11 +/-...probably a sign he has taken many shifts off over the years in the playoffs, at least on the defensive end. How many gwgs were scored the other way when he was on the ice with a playoff +/- like that. But the key stat: 0 Stanley Cups and 0 Finals appearances in 13 playoff seasons. Wow, 13, that is alot to never sniff the finals for how many millions per year? That is one hell of a legacy.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has certainly failed to meet the ridiculous standard many of you've set. There is no arguing that.

I'm officially done here for good. Good luck, Kork.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has certainly failed to meet the ridiculous standard many of you've set. There is no arguing that.

I'm officially done here for good. Good luck, Kork.

Ok. Just 1 NHL Finals appearance is all I ask. I wouldn't call that ridiculous by any means :)

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Just 1 NHL Finals appearance is all I ask. I wouldn't call that ridiculous by any means :)

And if San Jose got to the finals as a team just once you'd be satisfied with is play and he'd be worth the money, pain and disapointment that he has personally caused you? How about get there 4 times to lose all 4 like Brad Park? Or just lose it once like LaFontaine?

Until he wills the team to that Finals appearance he'll have to settle for the embarrassing legacies of players like M. Sundin, M. Gartner, D Sittler (I think), Pete Stastny, Howerchuk, and Marcel Dionne.

The ridiculous part is the ever changing nature of the standard and ascribing team success to an individual's legacy.

And on that note, good day, sirs.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if San Jose got to the finals as a team just once you'd be satisfied with is play and he'd be worth the money, pain and disapointment that he has personally caused you? How about get there 4 times to lose all 4 like Brad Park? Or just lose it once like LaFontaine?

Until he wills the team to that Finals appearance he'll have to settle for the embarrassing legacies of players like M. Sundin, M. Gartner, D Sittler (I think), Pete Stastny, Howerchuk, and Marcel Dionne.

The ridiculous part is the ever changing nature of the standard and ascribing team success to an individual's legacy.

And on that note, good day, sirs.

He took the money to be the BMOC, he needs to live up the expectations of that money. It is the nature of today's (many) overpaid athletes. Can't have it both ways. Pain and disappointment he has personally caused me? LMAO!! You are a funny dude asbaskin.

P.S. thought your last response on this subject was your last.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took the money to be the BMOC, he needs to live up the expectations of that money. It is the nature of today's (many) overpaid athletes. Can't have it both ways. Pain and disappointment he has personally caused me? LMAO!! You are a funny dude asbaskin.

P.S. thought your last response on this subject was your last.

This one shall be. Way to respond to the real meat of my post. Be well.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when we trade Marleau and still don't make the finals who is next in line to be the sacrificial goat? We can just keep blaming individual players for a teams failure and trading away all the talent that we have until we are left with an AHL team that 'works really hard' but loses all their games. Will we be happy then?

This team has been a perennial contender and after one off year were ready to ship out our franchise players? I guess that Columbus should trade Nash, they have never even sniffed the second round let alone the finals since he was drafted...

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau is Xavier Laflamme from the movie Goon :) Alot of skill, but when the going gets rough....a real softy :)

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at his playoffs stats not only compared to other Sharks but compared to everyone else in the league. How people can look at this and then complain that he doesn't produce when it matters just baffles me.

It's like they are staring at a silver car and telling me it is blue. I can see it, so can they but they just refuse to acknowledge it. I can't make you look at his stats, and I can't make you logically compare his performances to his peers, at this point I think I just have to disagree and wish you well.

I hope this mystery player who we will trade Marleau for will be able to live up to your expectations.

Cheers.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at his playoffs stats not only compared to other Sharks but compared to everyone else in the league. How people can look at this and then complain that he doesn't produce when it matters just baffles me.

It's like they are staring at a silver car and telling me it is blue. I can see it, so can they but they just refuse to acknowledge it. I can't make you look at his stats, and I can't make you logically compare his performances to his peers, at this point I think I just have to disagree and wish you well.

I hope this mystery player who we will trade Marleau for will be able to live up to your expectations.

Cheers.

I'm not necessarily upset with Thornton or Marleau for their on-ice contributions on offense (or lack thereof as the case may be). I want them both gone because I believe that leadership does actually manifest itself on the ice (especially once the playoffs roll around). Both Thornton and Marleau have had handfulls of good playoff rounds and decent playoff runs. It would be foolish or blind hate not to realize that. That said, I just don't like how guys like them duck out of interviews after playoff losses sometimes (as they both did against Anaheim.....I lost a ton of respect for Kesler this year). I don't like how losses or scoring droughts "aren't fun but they happen". I don't like it that "gee we would have liked to have won, but that's just sports" or "sometimes you don't get the bounces" when things don't go your way. That mindset does not make younger, more impressionable players to play with accountability. For example, with regards to Thornton and Marleau, I've never seen either sell out and lay down in front of a blast from the point to block a shot (in the playoffs). I've seen Marleau jump over a shot (in Dallas) and I've seen Thornton (seemingly) purposely get kicked out of high leverage faceoff situations. I don't like that lack of accountability from a guy making $3M, yet alone $7M and $6.9M. Marleau and Thornton shouldn't be criticised for their offense or lack there of it in any of the playoffs series. Sometimes you run into a hot goalie, sometimes you don't match up well against a team, sometimes you're injured.....I get it.

However, I haven't seen these two grow at all in the leadership department. They're both "just happy to be here" still and when they lose "it sucks". When Thornton is asked why he doesn't shoot, he says (paraphrased) "my dad says the same thing.....but I'm a passer". WTF? That's how you respond to a legit criticism?

I respect them both as offensive talents, I respect them both as people (as supposedly from a bunch of friends who have met them, they are upstanding people), I would wish them both well if they left.....I just want them gone, plain and simple. Rebuilds aren't the funnest things and I'd definitely be bummed that they will be bad for awhile.....but I'm tired of watching the same movie with these two at the leadership helm.

I don't think anybody has to worry about my preference coming to fruition (i.e. - trading Jumbo and Patty).....I'm sure they'll both live out their contracts as Sharks. AND, in fairness to both Jumbo and Patty, this (mine) is an outsiders opinion. I'm not Todd and Doug who have the advantage of seeing these two behind closed doors, in practices, in the locker room, on the road, etc. My opinion is definitely coming from a position of ignorance and it could be completely wrong.

EDIT: This is my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.....right or wrong. :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily upset with Thornton or Marleau for their on-ice contributions on offense (or lack thereof as the case may be). I want them both gone because I believe that leadership does actually manifest itself on the ice (especially once the playoffs roll around). Both Thornton and Marleau have had handfulls of good playoff rounds and decent playoff runs. It would be foolish or blind hate not to realize that. That said, I just don't like how guys like them duck out of interviews after playoff losses sometimes (as they both did against Anaheim.....I lost a ton of respect for Kesler this year). I don't like how losses or scoring droughts "aren't fun but they happen". I don't like it that "gee we would have liked to have won, but that's just sports" or "sometimes you don't get the bounces" when things don't go your way. That mindset does not make younger, more impressionable players to play with accountability. For example, with regards to Thornton and Marleau, I've never seen either sell out and lay down in front of a blast from the point to block a shot (in the playoffs). I've seen Marleau jump over a shot (in Dallas) and I've seen Thornton (seemingly) purposely get kicked out of high leverage faceoff situations. I don't like that lack of accountability from a guy making $3M, yet alone $7M and $6.9M. Marleau and Thornton shouldn't be criticised for their offense or lack there of it in any of the playoffs series. Sometimes you run into a hot goalie, sometimes you don't match up well against a team, sometimes you're injured.....I get it.

However, I haven't seen these two grow at all in the leadership department. They're both "just happy to be here" still and when they lose "it sucks". When Thornton is asked why he doesn't shoot, he says (paraphrased) "my dad says the same thing.....but I'm a passer". WTF? That's how you respond to a legit criticism?

I respect them both as offensive talents, I respect them both as people (as supposedly from a bunch of friends who have met them, they are upstanding people), I would wish them both well if they left.....I just want them gone, plain and simple. Rebuilds aren't the funnest things and I'd definitely be bummed that they will be bad for awhile.....but I'm tired of watching the same movie with these two at the leadership helm.

I don't think anybody has to worry about my preference coming to fruition (i.e. - trading Jumbo and Patty).....I'm sure they'll both live out their contracts as Sharks. AND, in fairness to both Jumbo and Patty, this (mine) is an outsiders opinion. I'm not Todd and Doug who have the advantage of seeing these two behind closed doors, in practices, in the locker room, on the road, etc. My opinion is definitely coming from a position of ignorance and it could be completely wrong.

EDIT: This is my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.....right or wrong. :heh:

In summary, I just think it's just time to say goodbye. St. Louis Cards said goodbye to Pujols, so one man does not a team make. :nod:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is time to say goodbye to that salary of his. At this rate it will only get worse. It hampers us from fielding a more complete roster. Adios Blinky!

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who cares about stats, where is the heart in Patrick Marleau? No where! Ya ok he shows up for a series in the playoffs but that's it. You cannot win a cup with players that can't play every game with desperation. Where is that glaring speed of his half the time if not 75 percent of the time?? Get someone that will care. I don't even care if he's worse, if he gives his all that's better then a streaky super star with a shit work ethic.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If everyone believes it's all Marleau's fault, then they can trade him and you'll probably see the same thing next year. This isn't a 1 or 2 player problem, pretty much the entire team didn't do shit vs the Blues.
The 1st problem with this team is they don't have a 3rd line. They need to pick up at least 2 good 3rd line players. They shipped off McGinn, the only guy on that line who contributed at all.
The 2nd problem is their PK was an absolute joke, and it continued in the playoffs. When they'd go on the PK, I'd always throw out an over/under number on how long it would take the other team to score.
The 3rd issue I see is that most of the Sharks core players are in their 30's, while teams like Chicago and LA are younger and faster. Detroit is facing this too. Maybe their window has closed and it's time to try to get younger, faster, and hopefully better. But while I say that, I'm not going to sit here and point at Marleau and say it's all on him. That is ridiculous. If they can move him and it makes them a better team, then that's great. In fact, there isn't 1 guy on this team I'd consider untouchable. I'd trade any of them if the right deal came along. But you don't just trade him to get rid of him, or to try to make him the scapegoat. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm fine if people have legitimate reasons for wanting him gone. I am fine if people have reasons that I don't agree with, it's when it gets to the point where we are just blatantly saying things that aren't true to justify our anger and disappointment in the team that I get annoyed. Just be honest, I don't care if you agree with me or not.

The biggest reason I could see for trading Marleau early is that if you wait for his contract to expire and don't re-sign him, you get nothing but cap space. If you trade him you get tangible assets back. I still don't think that it is the right move this off season but I can see and understand the reasoning behind that argument.

The lack of leadership thing, I am not sure I buy that but him and Jumbo are two common denominators on a team that has choked on the fat one more than once.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Patty isn't traded, and I doubt he will be, I'd like to see him utilized differently. First, put him back at center. When he's on Thornton's wing, or when anyone is on Thornton's wing, they are pretty much relegated to a shooter's role. Get the puck to Joe, go skate around and find a soft spot in the defense to receive a pass and shoot. We've seen it a million times. Give Marleau his own line and force him to be more engaged as a shooter/passer/defender.

I remember when Ron Wilson started using Marleau on the PK. It was something Sutter never did. What it did was cause Marleau to be more involved in the game. I think a move back to center can have the same sort of effect.

The next thing I'd change, and this is a team concept, is to be more aggressive on the rush. Scoring on the rush is the best way to score 5 on 5. But so many times we see the Sharks opt to dump it deep in order to get the forecheck set up and the cycle game going. Keeping Marleau's skillset in mind, it would benefit him greatly if the Sharks were more creative and aggressive in looking for ways to score on the rush. Criss cross a bit to create space. Don't wait for only odd man rushes to try to score off the rush. If it's 2 on 2, be aggressive and try to make a play going towards the net. Marleau and Havlat should be the team's best tandem to get this going.

I wouldn't mind trading Patty if it got a nice return, BUT players with NMCs never get fair value.

For those that want Patty gone:
1. What teams do you think would be interested?
2. What do you expect in return from that team in a trade?
3. Do you think Patty would waive his NMC to go there?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you want more zone entires off the rush then there needs to be a lot of speed added to the top six. Pavelski, Clowe, Thornton, and Couture are all below average to average speed. That lack of speed allows easier gap control through the neutral zone for the other teams dmen which slows the attacking forwards down even more. It also makes it easier for backchecking forwards to pressure the puck.

As far as Marleau goes:
1: No idea
2: The best they could probably do is a salary dump contract, mid 1st round pick, and a top prospect.
3: I actually think he would waive if asked.