• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meyer is getting screwed

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if he's suspended it's for what? Because if he didn't follow protocol he's getting fired not suspended. If he get's suspended it's because of how he handled it from the moment he found out people knew including his misleading (lying) statements when asked at media day and the thought that he should have fired the guy a long time ago.
If he gets suspended, it's to pacify the media and the outrage culture we live in. If this exact situation is happening 10 years ago, he gets no suspension, not even talk of one.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lied to a group of reporters about his knowledge of incidents concerning his coach and domestic violence. He didn't lie about what his wife made for dinner. He's on leave and quite possibly be suspended for a game or two so I'd say people with brains do think him lying is a big deal. Not criminal but a big deal.
Yes he did lie to the media and as I said nobody with a brain gives a shit. He probably will be suspended for a couple games but only as a PR move to appease those with no sense.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets suspended, it's to pacify the media and the outrage culture we live in. If this exact situation is happening 10 years ago, he gets no suspension, not even talk of one.

10 years ago not a lot of people cared if a guy beat his wife. Heck even now some don't.
There was a time when a coach could smack players around. Ask Woody Hayes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years ago not a lot of people cared if a guy beat his wife. Heck even now some don't.
And 10 years ago, when you were found innocent/following orders, you weren't punished. However, we live in a world where people are hypersensitive and need to find offensiveness and anger in everything they see. It sucks, but oh well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And 10 years ago, when you were found innocent/following orders, you weren't punished. However, we live in a world where people are hypersensitive and need to find offensiveness and anger in everything they see. It sucks, but oh well.

Agreed. A lot has changed in the NCAA regarding coaches with regards to "scandals". No longer is there plausible deniability. The NCAA basically says the coach either does know, or should have known, when it comes to things like this (more specifically things like what went on at Louisville, for example). Is it fair? No, probably not in most cases. Programs, especially football, are huge. To know EVERYTHING that is going on ALL the time would be near impossible, but in the case of the NCAA that doesn't matter.

I highly doubt he loses his job, unless this panel finds some type of massive cover job in which Urban is directly involved. I'll argue he should be suspended just for the sheer idiocy of hiring this guy in the first place with his history, but I digress.

It will be interesting to see what this investigation comes up with, and interesting to see if the NCAA feels the need to step in and impose additional punishment.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is false. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Meyer said he knew nothing of an arrest. Why would he lie about knowing about the investigation? That information can be found out easily and quickly, so why hang himself? He issued the statement saying he wasn't clear, but he never lied.

He literally said he lied, but used PR speak and instead of lied, they use cute words like failed to respond accurately.

You can’t possibly be that blind in this situation. And this isn’t trying to troll you, I’m dead serious right now.

He KNOWS he fucked up, which is why he paid a hell of a lot of money to have someone right his response to cover his ass. Next thing you will tell me is Urban wrote that response himself:L

I still don’t think he should be penalized for it, but he flat out lied and that’s why it became the huge story that it did. It is why OSU put him on paid leave. It is why OSU is being investigated right now. Good lord brotha — take a step back and let it play out. It is obvious you can’t look at this without bias.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A lot has changed in the NCAA regarding coaches with regards to "scandals". No longer is there plausible deniability. The NCAA basically says the coach either does know, or should have known, when it comes to things like this (more specifically things like what went on at Louisville, for example). Is it fair? No, probably not in most cases. Programs, especially football, are huge. To know EVERYTHING that is going on ALL the time would be near impossible, but in the case of the NCAA that doesn't matter.

I highly doubt he loses his job, unless this panel finds some type of massive cover job in which Urban is directly involved. I'll argue he should be suspended just for the sheer idiocy of hiring this guy in the first place with his history, but I digress.

It will be interesting to see what this investigation comes up with, and interesting to see if the NCAA feels the need to step in and impose additional punishment.
Well there can't be a cover-up, since the police themselves were very much involved. The only way Urban can get fired is if they find out he never actually reported the allegations like he's obligated to. However, I agree that it's a bit absurd that he should even need to act on something if there were never charges to begin with, especially with what has come out about the accuser over the last week.

Fortunately, this isn't an NCAA matter really. This wouldn't fall under the LOIC umbrella, so they won't have jurisdiction. Usually they only care if it involves people getting money for something and the NCAA doesn't get a cut, ie. players selling their belongings.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He literally said he lied, but used PR speak and instead of lied, they use cute words like failed to respond accurately.

You can’t possibly be that blind in this situation. And this isn’t trying to troll you, I’m dead serious right now.

He KNOWS he fucked up, which is why he paid a hell of a lot of money to have someone right his response to cover his ass. Next thing you will tell me is Urban wrote that response himself:L

I still don’t think he should be penalized for it, but he flat out lied and that’s why it became the huge story that it did. It is why OSU put him on paid leave. It is why OSU is being investigated right now. Good lord brotha — take a step back and let it play out. It is obvious you can’t look at this without bias.
No it's not

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And would you be posting in this thread feigning outrage if it was another coach at another university without the chance to sling mud at OSU? It is obvious you can’t look at this without bias.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer lied to the media, anyone with a brain doesnt care. What matters is did he follow the rules and not try to brush this under the rug.

Disagree to a point.

This shitstorm has gotten this big because Meyer lied to the media. Had he simply said, "Coach Smith was let go due to a non-football related matter. This is a personnel issue that has been addressed and there will be no further comment" this would likely be over with already.

If there is another incident at some point and he lies again and brings this level of scrutiny, he likely would be fired. Or at least he should be.

Of course lying to the media isn't a crime. But depending on what the lie is about and what level of scrutiny/embarrassment it brings on the university, it can be a fireable offense.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be that bad if this shitstorm didn't hit. I'd love to be sitting here talking about Dwayne Haskins' Heisman campaign as he's sitting next to teammate JK Dobbins in New York. But no, I'm talking about this bullshit.

Hahahahaha I see what you did there.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree to a point.

This shitstorm has gotten this big because Meyer lied to the media. Had he simply said, "Coach Smith was let go due to a non-football related matter. This is a personnel issue that has been addressed and there will be no further comment" this would likely be over with already.

If there is another incident at some point and he lies again and brings this level of scrutiny, he likely would be fired. Or at least he should be.

Of course lying to the media isn't a crime. But depending on what the lie is about and what level of scrutiny/embarrassment it brings on the university, it can be a fireable offense.
I dont disagree and the only reason the lie matters is the scrutiny that came after. However I think that this would have been a story regardless as McMurphy was trying to create one even before he asked Meyer a question.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for fuck's sake, you're the only one saying that. I have my beliefs at this point. I think he was either mistaken or was given false information by Courtney or whoever tipped him off. Those are my beliefs.

You bring up the "OSU troll farms going 24/7 trying to dig up every possible angle of dirt on McMurphy", yet you don't think there are plenty of people on the other side that are desperately trying to validate him? There are a LOT of people who hate OSU and would love nothing more than for his story to produce some earth-shattering info that bring OSU football crumbling. Let me tell you - if there's a report that says he was arrested, we'd likely have it by now.

I'm done talking to you about this topic.
lol, no you aren't. You'll respond to any and every post because you are like a crack addict and you know it. You flat out won't let anyone else have the last word.

Of course there are people trying to also dig up more on OSU. Where did I even suggest there wasn't? :noidea: Once again though, this means that because the super sleuths of the interwebs haven't found some copy of this lying around it's further proof it doesn't exist. I mean on face value that's pretty stupid. First of all no copies of this are supposed to be out in the public given their stance is he wasn't charged and it was left as an unclosed case. So why would you expect any internet hack to be able to get a copy of it? Second, we do not know the origin of this copy. We can only speculate that it either came from McMurphy's FOIA request, or Courtney had a copy of it. If it was the latter there is no way to trust it came from the PD as it was seen. Chief Vest certainly left room for there to have been one released at the exact time of the incident with 'human error'. Given 11w's version from around that time, any other version that had the box checked was already changed fairly quickly. Of course it's entirely possible She got one at the time of this event, before they fixed 'human error' and filed the copy 11w got. For whatever reason, they felt the need to further make changes THREE FUCKING YEARS LATER after this story broke. I have a HUGE problem with this. It really shows you can't trust anything out of that clown show of a PD.

McMurphy didn't actually saw he had, nor even that he physically saw that initial report. That's not how journalists typically describe events. he said:
On the original Oct. 26, 2015 Powell Police report, a box on the form was checked indicating Zach had been arrested.
When described as matter of fact as that it's hard to imagine he simply went off someone else's word and didn't see something. Particularly because he wrote that after the edited version was released by the police and after questions of Courtney's fitness as a witness were already surfacing. Sure, it's possible he didn't see something as he has done some stupid things elsewhere in this case, but given the context it's unlikely IMO. I'm simply betting he saw the copy Courtney got at the time of the event when he was interviewing her and doesn't physically have a copy in his possession. It makes sense as the most reasonable explanation. At least if you aren't coming from the biased view that he's entirely wrong on everything so how are we going to make him more stupid on this one.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And would you be posting in this thread feigning outrage if it was another coach at another university without the chance to sling mud at OSU? It is obvious you can’t look at this without bias.

Outrage? I am one of the few people who has said Meyer shouldn’t be fired, and should be reinstated immediately if it is found he reported everything to the school, as he said he did.

How is that outrage? The only thing Meyer is guilty of is lying to the media. I despise the media anyways, so I couldn’t care less about that. Anyone saying he didn’t lie is kidding themselves, as Meyer literally admitted it (in PR speak, saying you failed, means you lied. It is just a nicer way to say it).

Zach Smith can go f himself. Hope he ends up homeless and jumps off a bridge. I have zero respect for anyone who lays a finger on a woman. Meyer didn’t hit a woman, he didn’t beat his wife, he didn’t have the cops called a half dozen times, he didn’t get a DUI. The only thing he could possibly be guilty of is not reporting Smith to OSU officials. He said he did, so IMO, I think he should be reinstated immediately if that is found true. Unfortunately, I think they will give him some PC punishment like a 1 game suspension for lying at B1G media days, but I think that is ridiculous.

So you can talk about outrage or bias, but I’m a UM fan and I don’t think Meyer should even be suspended if he did report it all. If that’s outrage — ok, I’m outraged

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree and the only reason the lie matters is the scrutiny that came after. However I think that this would have been a story regardless as McMurphy was trying to create one even before he asked Meyer a question.

The original question about 2015 was asked by someone with the last name of Landis at the B1G media day. It wasn’t asked by McMurphy.

It was after Meyer responded it was nothing that McMurphy thought to himself, why is he saying it was nothing, when he had a copy of the police report.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, it would have been a story, however I seriously doubt Meyer is on paid leave had he not made that response. There would have been a far different view from the public mass media perspective. It would have been more on the Smiths (including the AD) and after all these allegations of drunken stupidity, cheating, using the police as a weapon against your former husband, etc. it would have become a much MUCH smaller pubic event that would have played out in the background of fall camp, not replacing the focus of it.

Even after that lie, he still shouldn't have been put on paid leave IMO. Lying to the media isn't a terminable offense unless he was covering something up, and there really wasn't strong indication that's why he lied at the time. Not enough to do that. It was a horrible knee jerk reaction by the school to try and stave off the inevitable shit storm that followed. I mean really how much worse would that storm had been if he's still on the sideline of practice today?

Putting him on leave really only removes the ability and access for reporters to keep hounding him over it. For sure it has the benefit of shielding the players and staff from some of that distracting media attention. It still wasn't necessary.

Let's hope that the end of that 14 day (oddly predetermined time frame) means the report will follow quickly and we can just be done with all the hysteria and BS around it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original question about 2015 was asked by someone with the last name of Landis at the B1G media day. It wasn’t asked by McMurphy.

It was after Meyer responded it was nothing that McMurphy thought to himself, why is he saying it was nothing, when he had a copy of the police report.
He had too much information already and was read for a story. To say it was just a coincidence is naive.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, it would have been a story, however I seriously doubt Meyer is on paid leave had he not made that response. There would have been a far different view from the public mass media perspective. It would have been more on the Smiths (including the AD) and after all these allegations of drunken stupidity, cheating, using the police as a weapon against your former husband, etc. it would have become a much MUCH smaller pubic event that would have played out in the background of fall camp, not replacing the focus of it.

Even after that lie, he still shouldn't have been put on paid leave IMO. Lying to the media isn't a terminable offense unless he was covering something up, and there really wasn't strong indication that's why he lied at the time. Not enough to do that. It was a horrible knee jerk reaction by the school to try and stave off the inevitable shit storm that followed. I mean really how much worse would that storm had been if he's still on the sideline of practice today?

Putting him on leave really only removes the ability and access for reporters to keep hounding him over it. For sure it has the benefit of shielding the players and staff from some of that distracting media attention. It still wasn't necessary.

Let's hope that the end of that 14 day (oddly predetermined time frame) means the report will follow quickly and we can just be done with all the hysteria and BS around it.
I think it was a story made for the the #metoo movement. Just having Smith on the staff with the allegations was enough for a story in the current climate. I do agree that Meyer made it worse.
I think he had to be put on paid leave or it would have been more bad press implying that the university is not taking domestic abuse seriously. I am ok with their reaction, I just hate that it was needed.
The kept the press out of practices which was a good idea. Keeping Meyer away and letting others field the questions might also be good.
I agree about the 14 day thing, weird time frame.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...aid-about-zach-smith-at-big-10-media-days/amp

Here is an article that breaks down the original questions. He was asked 3 questions of 2009 and 2015 (first by Landis, then by May, then by Murphy) and denied it all and the word arrest was never mentioned. This is taking quotes from elevenwarriors too.