• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meyer is getting screwed

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had too much information already and was read for a story. To say it was just a coincidence is naive.
Without a doubt, but if Meyer would have said — I’m not here to talk about past issues. I reported them to the proper people at UF and OSU and it was taken care of. None of this would be happening.
Zach Smith would still get fired because of the multiple accusations and ultimately his arrest, but OSU wouldn’t be dealing with a big investigation.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a story made for the the #metoo movement. Just having Smith on the staff with the allegations was enough for a story in the current climate. I do agree that Meyer made it worse.
I think he had to be put on paid leave or it would have been more bad press implying that the university is not taking domestic abuse seriously. I am ok with their reaction, I just hate that it was needed.
The kept the press out of practices which was a good idea. Keeping Meyer away and letting others field the questions might also be good.
I agree about the 14 day thing, weird time frame.
The odd thing about the deadline is it makes it feel (wrong or right) like if they found another lead on the story it will face a wall and be cut off. The reality is probably more they already knew where this was going and had planned what days they will be focusing on which witness and whatnot. Like they just interviewed Courtney and were supposed to be talking to Zack within the last couple of days.

Hopefully now that they are done with them, they are just dotting i's and crossing t's on their final report as we speak and this thing can get put to bed before the weekend.

Man I'm so fucking ready for UW v Auburn and the kickoff to the season already.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...aid-about-zach-smith-at-big-10-media-days/amp

Here is an article that breaks down the original questions. He was asked 3 questions of 2009 and 2015 (first by Landis, then by May, then by Murphy) and denied it all and the word arrest was never mentioned. This is taking quotes from elevenwarriors too.
I watched the media day. But I still think McMurphy had a story ready. Obviously no proof of this but he seem too prepared.

Without a doubt, but if Meyer would have said — I’m not here to talk about past issues. I reported them to the proper people at UF and OSU and it was taken care of. None of this would be happening.
Zach Smith would still get fired because of the multiple accusations and ultimately his arrest, but OSU wouldn’t be dealing with a big investigation.
I agree. Meyer fucked up. He brought bad press to the university and is paying the price.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the media day. But I still think McMurphy had a story ready. Obviously no proof of this but he seem too prepared.
He had much of it in his initial story he put out pre media day.

His Aug1st big article felt 'rushed' and reactionary. Again, just how it looked to me.

I think a big reason he's had to make changes is he didn't take the kind of time and scrutiny and go through the full editorial process before slapping it all on FB in reaction to what Meyer said at that event. He took all of his notes and threw it at the wall to see what sticks. It was bad journalism IMO, however I still believe he was fully vested in everything he wrote and entirely believed it was all factual at the time he put it up. He simply placed way too much on one primary source and a few secondary pieces that may not have been enough to verify that initial source.

He rushed the story in reaction to Meyer's response. I don't believe we would have anything close to this firestorm had Meyer given the typical can't comment or something more vague in his responses. I doubt McMurphy is throwing out 5k+ word storms directly after. He would have taken more time IMO, and again just an opinion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree to a point.

This shitstorm has gotten this big because Meyer lied to the media. Had he simply said, "Coach Smith was let go due to a non-football related matter. This is a personnel issue that has been addressed and there will be no further comment" this would likely be over with already.

If there is another incident at some point and he lies again and brings this level of scrutiny, he likely would be fired. Or at least he should be.

Of course lying to the media isn't a crime. But depending on what the lie is about and what level of scrutiny/embarrassment it brings on the university, it can be a fireable offense.
What's "this"? The investigation? Or the social media shitstorm?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Meyer fucked up. He brought bad press to the university and is paying the price.

Yeah — if he had just been straightforward in his response and said it was reported to the proper school officials — OSU May have caught some bad press that Smith had a job thru all of that, but this whole investigation wouldn’t be happening, IMO.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lied to a group of reporters about his knowledge of incidents concerning his coach and domestic violence. He didn't lie about what his wife made for dinner. He's on leave and quite possibly be suspended for a game or two so I'd say people with brains do think him lying is a big deal. Not criminal but a big deal.

I don't think he'll even be suspended for one game. This paid leave will be time served IMO.

Per Zach Smith he was called back off of a Florida recruiting trip by AD Gene Smith. That means it got higher than URBs. Whether that is because it was reported by Urbs doesn't really matter as it got higher than he in the pecking order.
The only reason Urbs would be in trouble is IF it's proven he influenced the Powell PD into not pursuing the domestic violence incident. If that even happened, you'll never get the Powell PD, Urbs, or Gene Smith to admit that.
The secret is safe.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah — if he had just been straightforward in his response and said it was reported to the proper school officials — OSU May have caught some bad press that Smith had a job thru all of that, but this whole investigation wouldn’t be happening, IMO.
The nature of the report would dictate the investigation would have still happened. It simply wouldn't have been the massive shit storm it turned into. It might have even taken longer as there wouldn't be a push to end it to not leave Meyer hanging before the season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll even be suspended for one game. This paid leave will be time served IMO.

Per Zach Smith he was called back off of a Florida recruiting trip by AD Gene Smith. That means it got higher than URBs. Whether that is because it was reported by Urbs doesn't really matter as it got higher than he in the pecking order.
The only reason Urbs would be in trouble is IF it's proven he influenced the Powell PD into not pursuing the domestic violence incident. If that even happened, you'll never get the Powell PD, Urbs, or Gene Smith to admit that.
The secret is safe.
I'm not even able to definitively say Zack was called back and all of that. I mean it's highly likely they were telling the truth, but it's at least possible they were CYA in the early moments of this thing breaking as well.

It's all gotten so freaking muddled and crazy I'm full wait and see on 100% of it anymore.

The most likely conclusion to me is those two were correct in those details and it was discussed and was in the AD's hands fairly quickly. Further, McMurphy's reports were based on what he thought he had as facts and is at worst guilty of jumping the gun, shoddy editing, not deep enough fact checking, and just showing he should NEVER go full indy as he HAS to have a support group to function. Also most likely is Zack did have some abuse, but she also probably did some back and embellished, if not fabricated some of the extent out of retribution.

I too would guess Meyer is back at the office by early next week and most of this blows over fairly quickly. I have no guess at all about how the AD's office handled what they actually knew at the time and whether or not there's any potential fallout there, but that won't have any real impact on the football team/season either way.

I really don't expect to find any police tampering or more deeper issues. I think 90% of this was a blown to hell way too much up shit storm over what should have been a footnote story. My expected losers really are just Courtney, Zack, and possibly the AD or whoever was supposed to handle that stuff at the school. I doubt McMurphy, Meyer, or even the Powell PD suffers much when it's over.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post @WizardHawk - I mostly agree

For you other pitchforkers - how will this saga continue once the season starts? Whether Urban is suspended, fired, or cleared... Do you envision this being brought up throughout the season? I mean, after 11/24 --will this be the Wolverine battle whimper?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't expect to find any police tampering or more deeper issues. I think 90% of this was a blown to hell way too much up shit storm over what should have been a footnote story. My expected losers really are just Courtney, Zack, and possibly the AD or whoever was supposed to handle that stuff at the school. I doubt McMurphy, Meyer, or even the Powell PD suffers much when it's over.

We'll never know as this committee doesn't have authority to investigate what happened within the Powell PD. They have no more access to the hidden records than a reporter IMO. That would be the jurisdiction of the Ohio State Patrol I believe.
The committee's hands are bound by what info the Powell PD gives them, which I'm sure is little if anything more than what Chief Vest has already provided publicly (an amended/redacted report provided July 24th 2018).
Chief Vest would be a fool to admit the PD was influenced 'not to pursue' by someone within OSU. That would cost him and others within the dept their jobs.

“He was never arrested, never handcuffed, never brought in and never charged in a court of law here in 2015,” Vest told the website. “There were never any charges filed in the court process. So the word ‘arrest’ was simply checked on a box that shouldn’t have been checked.” - Chief Vest

I still don't get how a proper domestic violence investigation is conducted without having at least a sit-down/eye-to-eye with the accused. One doesn't have to be under arrest for that to happen.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know as this committee doesn't have authority to investigate what happened within the Powell PD. They have no more access to the hidden records than a reporter IMO. That would be the jurisdiction of the Ohio State Patrol I believe.
The committee's hands are bound by what info the Powell PD gives them, which I'm sure is little if anything more than what Chief Vest has already provided publicly (an amended/redacted report provided July 24th 2018).
Chief Vest would be a fool to admit the PD was influenced not to pursue by someone within OSU. That would cost him and others within the dept their jobs.

“He was never arrested, never handcuffed, never brought in and never charged in a court of law here in 2015,” Vest told the website. “There were never any charges filed in the court process. So the word ‘arrest’ was simply checked on a box that shouldn’t have been checked.” - Chief Vest

I still don't get how a proper domestic violence investigation is conducted without having at least a sit-down/eye-to-eye with the accused. One doesn't have to be under arrest for that to happen.

Same way you have a guy with this kinda past still having a job at a major university.
59a4a82d9d0ca3f300288503e9f9d7d1.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have no right to haul him in when there are no charges and no signs of abuse. I already educated you on this but I see that tin foil hat is still squarely on your head.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another day of Across The Field unhinged with his Bullshit and Facepalm emogis.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have no right to haul him in when there are no charges and no signs of abuse. I already educated you on this but I see that tin foil hat is still squarely on your head.

That is a fucking laugher.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The secret is safe.
I agree. There is a huge question no one seems to be addressing. Why was Zach Smith not arrested despite being accused of Domestic Violence and Felonious Assault in a mandatory arrest state?

I don't think Urban Meyer wants anyone looking for an answer to that question, and I think that is why he lied about his knowledge of events in 2015 on media day.