• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS FIRE SCHWARTZ OFFICIALLY

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC players in general long busted in the NFL until Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing came into the league. Reports were the team and atmosphere was like a country club where players felt entitled, and when they got to the NFL, they couldn't adjust. Almost every other USC player under Pete Carroll fizzled out in the NFL which is why no one gave him a chance in Seattle at first.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus from what I know of Lovie, he's a conservative play caller. I can't take much more of that.

For real though, I hope our next HC/OC has better ideas for our beast WR than to play him like he's 5'7" Tavon Austin. I don't mind if we don't fake it to the RB from the shotgun every play, or do double fake hand off screens constantly. A little conservative smash mouth run game and throwing deep to Calvin when they stack the box sounds great to me.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why fix what isn't broken though? Lions get a CB or two, one more LB and the D is set. If Wis is the guy, I wonder if he'd keep Gunny and focus on the O.

It may not be broke but it hasn't been stellar either. If we can't get it done with a 4-3 then make a change. I have always thought get your best athletes on the field and for the defense that would be the LBs.

I like the 3-4 better than the wide 9. But I am a fan of a good defense regardless of what the schemes is. At best our defense has been average. The run defense has gotten better but again we still have not won shit!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually the only thing you can do to deal with him. Just move on man, not worth it.

Couldn't resist getting a shot in, even though it had nothing at all to do with you, hey?

Birds of a feather, I suppose...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see tp is already dropping down the law that no one can say anything negative on here anymore even though the lions disappointed again, he can say negative things about schwartz, but we arent allowed to have a negative opinion about anyone unless he does. This got old a long time ago. You would think finishing the season 1-6 and with a losing record would mean the lions have more problems than just the coaching staff, but I guess not.

What a bitch. Gotta protect your little buddy, hey? :bawling:

And what the fuck are you even rambling on about here, anyway? We're debating how good the o-line is, not how bad the team was or wasn't. Stop being a doucher and mind your business- you're surprisingly insightful when you stick to talking Lions and don't worry about what I'm up to...

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to pretend that I break down game film of the OL but I've never understood all of the Dom hate on this board aside from the fact that he acts like a tool at times. The guy seems to be at least an adequate center.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Dom is a decent center, but a major dick-hole. I can handle the dumb-shit attitude if his play can stay at the level it was this year for a couple more seasons.

I like Rodney Austin as the developmental kid behind Raiola, so if Dom can finish strong like a lot of centers seem to do then we should be in good shape at the position for the new coaching staff...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz new Browns DC, made thread about it. Hope they aren't attached to their headsets in Cleveland.

Did they hire a head coach that I missed? Guess I have some catching up to do...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the wide 9.

I believe and pray the wide 9 leaves w Schwartz. If Lovie is our guy, just do what he did in Chicago with the D line and we're good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could thumbs up my own post 10000 times I would. This imo leap frogs Lovie over anything Wisenhunt can throw together.

Lovie Smith/Leslie Frazier revenge tour with Suh, Fairley and Ansah leading the charge. Both get an O and a second chance to take down the Packers along with their ex employers. C'mon Mayhew!

Wait a sec! Didn't you totally shoot me down on the "Vikes Fire Frazier" thread when I suggested him as a candidate for D-coordinator? lol

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet. They want McDaniels per reports.

Wow, never heard of a team hiring a coordinator before the coach. Seems like a fucked up situation for a potential HC to walk into.

Can you imagine McDaniels and Schwatz coaching the same team?! Talk about discipline issues... those two would be in a fist-fight on the sidelines by week 4...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let's see TrustMe explain how and why he knows better than PFF, and that Riaola was "maybe a top 10 center, but certainly not top 5, and calling him THE best is going overboard."

I might have even just saved him the trouble of having to post...

I'm curious TP -- did you consider the Lions OL last year one the best in the NFL? They averaged more yards per carry last year and once again ranked near the top in sack to pass ratio. You could say they had less to work with in terms of running backs, as Mikel LeShoure wasn't very good, while Reggie Bush was a big upgrade.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still need a damn good O-coordinator to go along with them.

Agree 1000%. I'd like a HC who will instill some disicpline into the team, while having an OC who can be creative with the weapons the Lions have on offense.

If Detroit adds a solid #2 option to line up across from Calvin -- Detroit's offense would be so damn hard to stop with the right person calling the plays.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that LeShoure is viewed as less than Bell anyway? Is it the .2 YPC difference? I don't get it. Bell drops passes and fumbles at a pretty good clip. He's no Reggie Bush in either department, but he sure leaves me hoping the next regime doesn't want him to be all that involved in the offense.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can think of is the injury. Unless he's still snacking on pot nugs and the Lions are just waiting for his contract to expire.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey RobBase. I sort of figured this was going to happen sooner rather than later for you guys. I sensed ever since the Harbaugh incident that Schwartz' days were numbered. I never thought much of the guy especially having Linehan as his OC. After all of his initial promises when he took the job seem to dissipate, I knew he was not going to go anywhere significant with the Lions.

Lets hope the Lions finally get a head coach that can put together a strategy to get you guys to the bowl. Like the Rams, so many wasted drafts in Detroit. I hope things turn around for you guys. I'll be see 'ya on the boards.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can think of is the injury. Unless he's still snacking on pot nugs and the Lions are just waiting for his contract to expire.

Yeah, last year I kinda assumed his injury held him back some. Then figured he'd be part of a three man backfield rotation. Didn't happen obviously. But Bells production was no better than LeShoures last year. (100 or so more total yards. .2 better in YPC, no receiving TDs). He didn't have any long carries. (20 yard long compared to MLS' 16 last year). But people seem upbeat about Bell for some reason. Even when most of his rushing yards in 2012 came in the second half of games during passing situations when teams were playing umbrella/soft formations. Im pretty sure Mikel hit it with someone's wife.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Dom is a decent center, but a major dick-hole. I can handle the dumb-shit attitude if his play can stay at the level it was this year for a couple more seasons.

I like Rodney Austin as the developmental kid behind Raiola, so if Dom can finish strong like a lot of centers seem to do then we should be in good shape at the position for the new coaching staff...

Detroit Lions' Dominic Raiola named to Sports Illustrated 'Audibles' All-Pro team | MLive.com

Also wanted to add that per PFF, "Raiola was graded by the site as the second-best pass protector after allowing just 12 quarterback pressures and no sacks in 2013. He also ranked as the top screen pass blocker and finished 11th as a run blocker, a significant improvement from previous seasons".

Again, he's had a solid improvement this year, not sure why it took him so fucking long to add weight. I think that coupled with improved players alongside him on the O-line showed him to be a better C than he has been in his career.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe and pray the wide 9 leaves w Schwartz. If Lovie is our guy, just do what he did in Chicago with the D line and we're good.

No thanks to the Tampa two. Now that Lovie has aligned with Frazier that is what we would be looking at.

I am going to be greedy and say get both Whisenhunt and Caldwell. I don't even care which is HC and which is OC. I would also get Ray Horton as DC. Since shithead is the new DC in Cleveland then that means Horton is available.