• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Letang, Despres, Maatta or...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that cap hit is catching up to them some low cap hit younger players need the playing time at some point.

Yep, not that there are any easy cap solutions other than Letang, Martin, and Scuderi leaving in a deal. But there is just no reason to bring in Steve Ott when you can just plug in Jayson Megna and develop him as a bottom six forward. Steve Ott isn't better than Megna, just a safer pick. Lower floor, lower ceiling.

It infuriates me watching Chicago develop young players, give them important minutes, and win the cup. While the Pens keep giving Craig Adams important minutes when they have had a better option, Joe Vitale for two years. That's how you get Kruger, Saad, and Shaw performances in the playoffs.

Same with Bennett, they don't trust him, why I have no idea. But they want to hold onto assets like Kobasew and now Pyatt because they are terrified that their young players.

The org has 10 guys who are NHL bottom six forwards right now. You have 4 guys in Malkin, Sid, Kunitz, and Neal who are all first line wingers on any team in the league. Plug and play the next guy in line that is playing best. Their allocation/management of resources is embarrassing, this is an RS problem too.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey Prospectus | GVT Listing

Also been looking into this GVT stat over at Hockey Prospectus, tries to put a goal value on each player. So if a guy is worth 10GVT, he is worth 10 to goal differential over the course of the season. Kind of like WAR in baseball.

If you look through the Pens, you get some interesting answers. Some are revelations, some are completely expected. If anyone is interested.

It goes back a few years too, so you can compare some historical data against historical perceptions as well.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, not that there are any easy cap solutions other than Letang, Martin, and Scuderi leaving in a deal. But there is just no reason to bring in Steve Ott when you can just plug in Jayson Megna and develop him as a bottom six forward. Steve Ott isn't better than Megna, just a safer pick. Lower floor, lower ceiling.

It infuriates me watching Chicago develop young players, give them important minutes, and win the cup. While the Pens keep giving Craig Adams important minutes when they have had a better option, Joe Vitale for two years. That's how you get Kruger, Saad, and Shaw performances in the playoffs.

Same with Bennett, they don't trust him, why I have no idea. But they want to hold onto assets like Kobasew and now Pyatt because they are terrified that their young players.

The org has 10 guys who are NHL bottom six forwards right now. You have 4 guys in Malkin, Sid, Kunitz, and Neal who are all first line wingers on any team in the league. Plug and play the next guy in line that is playing best. Their allocation/management of resources is embarrassing, this is an RS problem too.

Don't forget about Dupuis. That contact will be hurting them soon enough and they have to pay Adams 700,000 next year no matter what.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams should have been gone years ago. Dupuis is too damn dynamic and was a great signing. You can't rely on Bennett as he is a potato chip

Megna is fine but he's no Vitals. Kobescrew, Gilbert, Sill are all blah and replaceable

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams should have been gone years ago. Dupuis is too damn dynamic and was a great signing. You can't rely on Bennett as he is a potato chip

Megna is fine but he's no Vitals. Kobescrew, Gilbert, Sill are all blah and replaceable

They are all replaceable but Adams the Penguins are on the hook for which hurts.

Dupuis plays great with Crosby but if Crosby is out he is nothing but a third line forward. No issues with Dupuis but put it in this context. He will be making 3.75 million against the cap at the ages fo 35/36, 36/37 and 37/38. And he turns 35 shortly I wonder if that new contract will then be a +35 deal? If so then they are really screwed into that much money.

And Kunitz isn't that much younger so his deal could hurt them in a year or two.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our biggest problem with the forward group this year has been continuity. With all these injured players, it's been pretty hard to see what we have. I wish we would put some faith in younger players though. It is irritating to see Chicago have some young guy from their system step up and score 20 goals on the third or fourth line like literally every year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our biggest problem with the forward group this year has been continuity. With all these injured players, it's been pretty hard to see what we have. I wish we would put some faith in younger players though. It is irritating to see Chicago have some young guy from their system step up and score 20 goals on the third or fourth line like literally every year.

Can't do that if you don't play them. But yea, seeing them trust their young guys is maddening when you see the Pens not trusting theirs. No reason Vitale shouldn't be one of the top 4 pk'ers at this point in his career, while the Pens trot out Tanner Glass and Adams as part of their top 4 on a nightly basis.

Chicago is willing to take the chance on young guys and deal with their mistakes, Pens would rather play it safe with Adams and Glass, and then all we hear about is how the bottom six isn't good enough, doesn't score goals, well no shit Adams and Glass are 33% of the bottom six every single night.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't do that if you don't play them. But yea, seeing them trust their young guys is maddening when you see the Pens not trusting theirs. No reason Vitale shouldn't be one of the top 4 pk'ers at this point in his career, while the Pens trot out Tanner Glass and Adams as part of their top 4 on a nightly basis.

Chicago is willing to take the chance on young guys and deal with their mistakes, Pens would rather play it safe with Adams and Glass, and then all we hear about is how the bottom six isn't good enough, doesn't score goals, well no shit Adams and Glass are 33% of the bottom six every single night.

Agreed. Especially on Adams, he was a big part of the team's success a few years ago when they didn't have this abundance of bottom six forward types. But by this point, I think its obvious (to me at least) that Vitale can perform the job that Adams does better than Adams. Don't completely agree about Glass though. I think he actually brings some grit to the bottom 6 and actually leads the team in hits I believe, even though hits aren't that indicative as a stat.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with Glass so much either, but you can't have both him and Adams, then sprinkling Engo in there too, pick one. Glass has been decent after a terrible season last year.

Now the have that slug Pyatt out there, who is just horrendous, no idea what they see in him. And he's taking a roster spot and playing time from guys who actually have a future.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pyatt is a complete waste of a roster spot, even if we sent him down to the AHL.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I would literally rather have a slug playing out there over Pyatt. At least a slug won't be completely worthless AND take stupid penalties.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MiA...Sid Crosby

I'm fine with Sid being a complete non-factor as of late. We all know that's temporary. Hope it forces the back lines to step up. We're pretty much all Sidnitz & GeNealkinen as of late.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really deny Gibbons anymore, he can play on my team any day. Whether on Sid's wing or the third line he has been a quality player.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibbons provides us with speed which was what we were lacking last season.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still missing in action...Crosby. Just now, it's for team Canadada