• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Letang, Despres, Maatta or...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still missing in action...Crosby. Just now, it's for team Canadada

Eh, I think it is exaggerated with how much criticism Sid gets in this type of tournament. This isn't team Canada with Lemieux or Gretzky. Different era of the sport, and obviously different players, and two who are likely the two best of the modern era of hockey. Goaltending is light years better both in skill and pads, and the rules of the game have changed, as have the playing style with a focus on team defense, and a commitment to the trap style defense (team Switzerland). Which many team's in these olympics are employing. All scoring is down, and it's not just Sid and/or Canada.

Tavares and Nash have yet to reach the scoresheet, and Toews has two assist's in three games, Sid has the same. From what I've seen, Sid's defense and commitment to back checking has been good. Also, I've seen him set up multiple guys with opportunities that they haven't finished. We'll see what happens, still some gems to go.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you boys have been watching my boy Maatta, kid is a beast.

He has been great, Johnny. Maatta still has some rookie miscues, though. I think I saw Getzlaf skate right through him on the way to the net, yesterday, but Maatta is still impressing. Doing this all at age 19 is even more impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I think it is exaggerated with how much criticism Sid gets in this type of tournament. This isn't team Canada with Lemieux or Gretzky. Different era of the sport, and obviously different players, and two who are likely the two best of the modern era of hockey. Goaltending is light years better both in skill and pads, and the rules of the game have changed, as have the playing style with a focus on team defense, and a commitment to the trap style defense (team Switzerland). Which many team's in these olympics are employing. All scoring is down, and it's not just Sid and/or Canada.

Tavares and Nash have yet to reach the scoresheet, and Toews has two assist's in three games, Sid has the same. From what I've seen, Sid's defense and commitment to back checking has been good. Also, I've seen him set up multiple guys with opportunities that they haven't finished. We'll see what happens, still some gems to go.

C'mon, he has been non existent for awhile in the NHL and it has carried over to team Canadada

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, he has been non existent for awhile in the NHL and it has carried over to team Canadada

Your definition of non-existent must be very different from mine. Sid leads the league in points in the NHL this season. He has an eleven point lead on the next closest player in Ryan Getzlaf. He's averaging 1.3 points per game through 58 games played.

In 4 games in this tournament, Sid has two points and is a +2 while averaging about 10 minutes less per game in time on ice than what he normally plays in the NHL. That Getzlaf guy has three points, one more than Sid. If you're a box score warrior, the case can be made that everyone not named Shea Weber(3G 2A) and Drew Doughty (4G 2A) are under performing for team Canada. Those guys are both defensemen, and both also lead team Canada in TOI. The box score only tells you half the story, though. Team Canada has yet to lose, and tomorrow they play team USA for a trip to the gold medal match. We'll see what happens.

If you want to talk about a guy underperforming in these Olympics, look no further than Geno Malkin. Team Russia won't even have a chance to play for a medal and Malkin will be back in Pittsburgh before Crosby and Kunitz are.

Instead of focusing on the negative, Scouty, look at how well other Penguin players are doing in these Olympics. Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik are playing a shut-down role for team USA and HC Bylsma has them one win away from a chance at a gold medal.

Then you have Jussi Jokinen(1G 2A) and Olli Maatta(2G 2A). Maatta is having an Olympics of a lifetime, and he's getting recognition from around the world right now for his great play. They also have their team within a win for a chance to play for the gold medal.

There are a lot more positives to take away from this than negatives if you're a fan of the Pens.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, Sid was my comments focus. To state he hasn't been lighting it up recently is not incorrect. To spout off on tangents about Malkintent, Coach Bylsma and Oprik/Martin, Jussi/Matta, has no bearing on my comment. I expect and demand more from Sid...certainly more than one fucking shot when they peppered Latvia with almost 60 shots on goal.

Being a passionate fan doesn't mean I can't cite the lulls and valleys, as well as the disappointment, as they occur.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I missed the memo where you can't like players off your team. :rollseyes:

Funny, you're the only person to complain about me coming in here. :suds:

You call him your boy...I appreciate you recognize his talent, but he isn't your boy. That's the problem Ranger stain:gaah::laugh3:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You call him your boy...I appreciate you recognize his talent, but he isn't your boy. That's the problem Ranger stain:gaah::laugh3:

I can say what I want. I enjoy watching him play and i'm a huge fan of his. Sorry I respect talent no matter what team they're on. Even if it is Shittsburgh ;)

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say what I want. I enjoy watching him play and i'm a huge fan of his. Sorry I respect talent no matter what team they're on. Even if it is Shittsburgh ;)

Being a fan of the teams I see near your avatar, you can't be a fan of talent!:suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouty, I could vouch for Johnny, he's a cool dude. Ease up on him. If we went on the Rangers board he would be more than welcoming.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouty, I could vouch for Johnny, he's a cool dude. Ease up on him. If we went on the Rangers board he would be more than welcoming.

C'mon, it's poking fun to keep the thread going. Just poking the bear

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, it's poking fun to keep the thread going. Just poking the bear

I know you mean nothing by it Scouty, you guys are both cool dudes, hope you can get along. Have fun chatting with both of ya. Anyways, how ya been man?