• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Letang, Despres, Maatta or...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have a feeling Matt Moulson will be with the team that drafted him come trade deadline time. I know Shero said no rentals but unless Letang goes I don't see how they could afford a 3-4 million dollar winger. Especially with Dupuis contract after this season.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about bret connolly for Despres my lightning need help on D would that help ?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about bret connolly for Despres my lightning need help on D would that help ?

Might as well. Way we're handling Depres we'll probably get a 3rd round pick in return.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Brett Conolly sucks...he's a dime a dozen player. Pass

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather give Despres a chance to prove his worth on the team but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a worse D pairing than Letang with Scud's?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was rushed to the NHL initially also being loaned to the Canadian national U20 team during his rookie year probably didn't do much for his development.

To be honest I wouldn't mind the deal since it seems Despres has no future with the Penguins.
Also being a top 6 type it would be interesting to see how much time he truly played with the likes of Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke in how we've handled Despres. We really should be ashamed of ourselves for this.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke in how we've handled Despres. We really should be ashamed of ourselves for this.

Mind numbing isn't it! You know looking back when was the last time they developed a forward through they system? Not a first rounder that comes right to the NHL but one that comes through the system and actually contributes. The only one on the team is Joe Vitale and prior to that Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot.

Then in general since the Staal draft this the leading games played for Penguin draft picks as Penguins:

1. Jeffrey - 100
2. Despres - 69
3. Maatta - 52
4.Bortuzzo - 51
5. Bennett - 38

Now here is the scary one:
6. Caputi - 9

Defense bolded.
That is the last 7 drafts. So if the focus was on D and I know it takes longer for D to develop lets hope that time is soon.
Also with the team being a cup contention signing and trading for top wingers worked so far for the Penguins but at some point the cap hit will catch up to them. I think that time is coming next season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind numbing isn't it! You know looking back when was the last time they developed a forward through they system? Not a first rounder that comes right to the NHL but one that comes through the system and actually contributes. The only one on the team is Joe Vitale and prior to that Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot.

Then in general since the Staal draft this the leading games played for Penguin draft picks as Penguins:

1. Jeffrey - 100
2. Despres - 69
3. Maatta - 52
4.Bortuzzo - 51
5. Bennett - 38

Now here is the scary one:
6. Caputi - 9

Defense bolded.
That is the last 7 drafts. So if the focus was on D and I know it takes longer for D to develop lets hope that time is soon.
Also with the team being a cup contention signing and trading for top wingers worked so far for the Penguins but at some point the cap hit will catch up to them. I think that time is coming next season.

I'm still bummed we gave away Letestu for nothing. Why do we even have a farm system other than to toy with our emotions :gaah:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Despres the best for whatever team he plays for. Saw a lot of potential in him. I'm sure we'll be kicking ourselves for letting him go for next to nothing. Oh well, such is life being a Pens fan I guess. Maybe we could trade him for some over the hill winger that will only be with us for half a year like we did with Joe Morrow.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Despres the best for whatever team he plays for. Saw a lot of potential in him. I'm sure we'll be kicking ourselves for letting him go for next to nothing. Oh well, such is life being a Pens fan I guess. Maybe we could trade him for some over the hill winger that will only be with us for half a year like we did with Joe Morrow.

Trading Joe Morrow last season doesn't really bother me. He was stuck behind guys like Despres and Bortuzzo at the time, and looking at how this season has progressed with Olli Maatta forcing himself into the lineup and skating top four minutes in a lot of games, Morrow never had a chance of making this lineup as a regular. They can't even get ice time for Despres and Bortuzzo as it is!

And besides, Dallas traded him after the season was over, and Morrow is now languishing in Boston's minor league system while guys like Krug, Bartkowski and Hamilton are all playing above him. IMO, Morrow never lived up to his first rd. draft status.

And don't give up on Despres, yet. One thing you have to remember is that Orpik and Niskanen are both UFA's at the end of this season, and I can't see how either of them makes their way back onto this roster for the 14-15 season unless they take way less than what they are worth.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Morrow trade didn't bother me that much. If Despres is dealt it will bother me more. He seems to have much more potential than Morrow ever had.

That reason alone that Orpik and Niskanen could be gone is the reason I hope they don't deal him. To be honest Orpik is playing so poorly right now I doubt a 3million per year contact is worth it. And how well Niskaknen is playing right now he won't be worth 3 million per year in the long run.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can keep one of Niskanen or Orpik, but yeah I really don't see a need to trade Despres at all. The team is short probably 1 forward, but they just don't need to trade Despres to get that forward. Or you know, you could start playing Megna, Harry Z, Vitale, Bennett in more important roles.

Anyway, all the deadline deals have done nothing the past 4 years, the team doesn't need anymore veterans.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can keep one of Niskanen or Orpik, but yeah I really don't see a need to trade Despres at all. The team is short probably 1 forward, but they just don't need to trade Despres to get that forward. Or you know, you could start playing Megna, Harry Z, Vitale, Bennett in more important roles.

Anyway, all the deadline deals have done nothing the past 4 years, the team doesn't need anymore veterans.

True that cap hit is catching up to them some low cap hit younger players need the playing time at some point.