• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Letang, Despres, Maatta or...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Letang trying to the human highlight reel (aka Harlem Globetrotter) on defense it makes you wish Gonchar was still around. It makes you wonder if Letang even learned anything from him in the 3+ years watching another offensive d-man play?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how he kept sending those long outlets to Adams, Glass, & Engelland. Those are exactly the players I want to send those long outlets to.

You 'want to' or 'not want to'? I was thinking 'not want to'

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Letang trying to the human highlight reel (aka Harlem Globetrotter) on defense it makes you wish Gonchar was still around. It makes you wonder if Letang even learned anything from him in the 3+ years watching another offensive d-man play?

Yeah, I miss Gonch, although I think Gonch's game was similar to Paul Martin's game, smooth and controlled. Gonch obviously had a much better shot, and Martin is a better defender.

I think Letang would do well to model himself off of Duncan Keith, they are similar players with similar physical strengths and weaknesses, but Keith is much better at knowing when he can use those skills, and when it's best to play it safe.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You 'want to' or 'not want to'? I was thinking 'not want to'

I was being sarcastic. Those are the very last players on the team I would want to send long outlet passes to.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why some of you want to trade Letang so badly. He's our best "all around" D man and one year removed as a Norris trophy finalist.

Who would become our number 1 if Letang was traded? We have mostly guys on the other side of 30yrs old and others who are unproven.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why some of you want to trade Letang so badly. He's our best "all around" D man and one year removed as a Norris trophy finalist.

Who would become our number 1 if Letang was traded? We have mostly guys on the other side of 30yrs old and others who are unproven.

IMO...it has to do more with the contract than the player.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So far Martin & Niskanen have proven they could jump into Tang's role no problem. I'm sure Maatta and/or Pouliot will be able to ease into the role without a problem one day as well. I'm not too worried about replacing Tang, we've done it many times this season.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider (Craig Custance):

With the abundance of defensemen for the Penguins (Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang, Rob Scuderi, Olli Maatta, Matt Niskanen, Robert Bortuzzo, Simon Despres, Brian Dumoulin, Deryk Engelland, not to mention Derrick Pouliot and Scott Harrington a year away) it seems likely that a trade is imminent. Despres' name has been thrown around lately. What kind of return can the Pens fetch for Despres and/or a Despres package (i.e. Despres, pick, prospect)? Thanks!
Tim,
Pittsburgh, PA

It’s hard to say that a Penguins deal is imminent regarding Despres, considering teams that will look to spend to the cap aren’t necessarily eager to start adding salary right now. If you’re trading a player of value, you do it when there are the most possible suitors, and that’s going to be much closer to the trade deadline, most likely after the Olympic roster freeze is lifted.

As for his value, that’s a tough one. It’s safe to say he’s been passed by some of the other young Penguins defensemen, and Pittsburgh fans who might expect an Alex Goligoski-like return will be disappointed. To me, he’s more of an added value trade piece in a deal, rather than a guy you can build a trade around. Inquiring teams will certainly wonder why he’s lost the trust of Dan Bylsma, as colleague Rob Rossi has speculated. But he’s still just 22 years old with size (6-foot-4) and skill. That’s an attractive asset. He could be part of a package for a guy like Mike Cammalleri or closer to straight up for a forward you might play further down the lineup.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider (Craig Custance):

With the abundance of defensemen for the Penguins (Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang, Rob Scuderi, Olli Maatta, Matt Niskanen, Robert Bortuzzo, Simon Despres, Brian Dumoulin, Deryk Engelland, not to mention Derrick Pouliot and Scott Harrington a year away) it seems likely that a trade is imminent. Despres' name has been thrown around lately. What kind of return can the Pens fetch for Despres and/or a Despres package (i.e. Despres, pick, prospect)? Thanks!
Tim,
Pittsburgh, PA

It’s hard to say that a Penguins deal is imminent regarding Despres, considering teams that will look to spend to the cap aren’t necessarily eager to start adding salary right now. If you’re trading a player of value, you do it when there are the most possible suitors, and that’s going to be much closer to the trade deadline, most likely after the Olympic roster freeze is lifted.

As for his value, that’s a tough one. It’s safe to say he’s been passed by some of the other young Penguins defensemen, and Pittsburgh fans who might expect an Alex Goligoski-like return will be disappointed. To me, he’s more of an added value trade piece in a deal, rather than a guy you can build a trade around. Inquiring teams will certainly wonder why he’s lost the trust of Dan Bylsma, as colleague Rob Rossi has speculated. But he’s still just 22 years old with size (6-foot-4) and skill. That’s an attractive asset. He could be part of a package for a guy like Mike Cammalleri or closer to straight up for a forward you might play further down the lineup.

We'll probably end up trading all our prospects and sign Scud/Orpik to long term extensions.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuds is a waste of a Dman. Orpik is meh. Really waiting for Martin to come back, then move Letang to winger!

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO...it has to do more with the contract than the player.
While the cap continues to increase next season and will probably continue to do so, his contract will look fine.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far Martin & Niskanen have proven they could jump into Tang's role no problem. I'm sure Maatta and/or Pouliot will be able to ease into the role without a problem one day as well. I'm not too worried about replacing Tang, we've done it many times this season.

Huh?

You don't just replace a Norris trophy finalist. Pens don't need to ease anyone into Letang's role. They need to start making deep playoffs runs and another Cup with the talent this team has now!. None of the guys you have listed have the skating, speed, or offensive ability that Letang has.

Not sure if your even serious with your post.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, Letang stinks. plain and simple. He is nothing more than a risk-taking, turnover machine. He's got the talent to be great, but his constant lapses are just ridiculous and derail the continuity of the entire team. You just shouldn't trade a guy with his talent, but I'd think long and hard if someone offered up a legitimate, long term solution at top 6 wing in exchange. Personally, I have a very low Letang tolerance. I've seen it too much.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

You don't just replace a Norris trophy finalist. Pens don't need to ease anyone into Letang's role. They need to start making deep playoffs runs and another Cup with the talent this team has now!. None of the guys you have listed have the skating, speed, or offensive ability that Letang has.

I think you're overrating Tang's overall abilities & role with the team. Really all he does is set up the point on power plays. For a Norris finalist his defense is awful. Not trying to bash Tang here but there's no justifying his contract. Right now I would love to trade him just to dump that contract.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

Letang was a better defensive player when he came into the league than he is today, that's embarrassing.

He isn't even a PP-QB, just a complimentary piece on the PP. He isn't suited to be a #1 d-man.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, Letang stinks. plain and simple. He is nothing more than a risk-taking, turnover machine. He's got the talent to be great, but his constant lapses are just ridiculous and derail the continuity of the entire team. You just shouldn't trade a guy with his talent, but I'd think long and hard if someone offered up a legitimate, long term solution at top 6 wing in exchange. Personally, I have a very low Letang tolerance. I've seen it too much.

Yep, there is a difference between knowing when the system allows you to use your unique skills, and when you should just make the same play that Scuderi would make in that situation. Letang has no awareness of those circumstances.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of Tang's shortcomings would even be an issue if he didn't sign that contract IMO. Becoming overpaid is really what ruined him. I could live with all his faults & shortcomings when he wasn't the most overpaid dman in the league. Even if we moved him to winger he would still be overpaid. We shouldn't have given him that contract. $6 million was the absolute most he was worth.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of Tang's shortcomings would even be an issue if he didn't sign that contract IMO. Becoming overpaid is really what ruined him. I could live with all his faults & shortcomings when he wasn't the most overpaid dman in the league. Even if we moved him to winger he would still be overpaid. We shouldn't have given him that contract. $6 million was the absolute most he was worth.

Well, his contract doesn't kick in till next year so he is still 3.5 million against the cap this year.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep harping on it, make him a winger...problem solved on multiple fronts. Allows Despres and Borts some Dman time, while adding some dynamic skill to the top lines