• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Lebron James and his all time ranking

Where does Lebron James Rank all time in NBA history?

• Best NBA player of all time, hands down

• He's top 1 or 2..not sure which

• He's top 5

• He's outside the top 5 all time, but in the top 10

• Put some Sprite in that potato salad

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much sense as "I wanted to do what was best for me and my family."

I see what you're saying, and with that quote isolated, I totally agree.

But he also said right before that. "I wanted the best possible chance for me to win and for me and my family to ultimately be happy."

The context of the quote when he went 3rd person was Jim Gray asked him about what advice his friends told him, and when you listen to it in that context it doesn't sound that out of place or atypical to me.

Last edited:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course no one would notice if he wasn't a great player. Being a great player is also why Kobe being an asshole was noticed and why anyone even cared.

Why is it so difficult for you Lebron apologists to accept that there are many fans who can dislike him and still acknowledge that he's an all time great player?

Heck, I'm openly hoping that he chooses to come to the Lakers next season because he's a great player. But I still won't like him. He'll basically become just like Kobe for me. I won't like him, but I'll enjoy the heck out of the wins and, hopefully, another title or 2 so we can finally catch and pass those green bastards in Boston.

lol, what gave you an indication that it is "so difficult for me to accept that there are many fans who can dislike him".

That's not difficult at all for me. I accept it, and like I just said, I can see why that is the case.

Last edited:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI

you really look like a ridiculous homer here. you've never been in lebrons living room. stop acting like he is passing you the brie.

# 3 is a quote calling himself in third person! it wasnt for the king thing. keep up kid.

I don't really know you that well. I'm definitely a LeBron fan and constantly admit that my view is biased in that direction.

I've also shown that I'm not afraid to call him out when he does something stupid, that I'm not irrational about his place in NBA history, and that I at least try to inject some objectivity into my opinions.

You think that the fact that I refute that LeBron "goes around calling himself the King" is just because I'm being a homer. I couldn't disagree more. The reason I refute it is because its just not true. He doesn't go around calling himself the King.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, what gave you an indication that is "so difficult for me to accept that there are many fans who can dislike him".

That's not difficult at all for me. I accept it, and like I just said, I can see why that is the case.

But you also said that him being a great player is part of it. It's only part of it in the sense that, if he wasn't a great player, no one would no who he is.

My point is, his being a great player isn't the reason folks don't like him. It's the reason that folks know who he is enough to not like him.

As for the nickname, 3rd person stuff. Really don't care. I don't care how he got it, I don't care if refers to himself as The King or in the 3rd person. I've seen a lot of star players do it. Even ones that I like. Heck, I can recall Magic doing it a time or 2 and he's my all time favorite player of any sport.

I don't even care that Kobe came up with his own nickname. Heck, at least it's a cool one. lol

I remember MJ calling his teammates his "supporting cast." It seems they all do it at some point.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you also said that him being a great player is part of it. It's only part of it in the sense that, if he wasn't a great player, no one would no who he is.

My point is, his being a great player isn't the reason folks don't like him. It's the reason that folks know who he is enough to not like him.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much agreeing. I do think that there's also an element of the fact that his greatness brings a certain level of scrutiny that things get overblown and over-analyzed.

There is such thing as a hater just as much as there is such thing as a homer. Homers see things through rose colored glasses, haters see things through darkly-colored glasses. A lot of people think they are objective, impartial middle-ground people, but those are pretty rare in my opinion. I lean homer, as do most if not all Cavs fans. A lot of people lean hater, even if they don't want to admit it.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think we're pretty much agreeing. I do think that there's also an element of the fact that his greatness brings a certain level of scrutiny that things get overblown and over-analyzed.

There is such thing as a hater just as much as there is such thing as a homer. Homers see things through rose colored glasses, haters see things through darkly-colored glasses. A lot of people think they are objective, impartial middle-ground people, but those are pretty rare in my opinion. I lean homer, as do most if not all Cavs fans. A lot of people lean hater, even if they don't want to admit it.
btw

The Psychological Case for Talking in the Third Person

LeBron James has earned immense fame for how he carries himself on the court. He's also earned some fame, but much less praise, for how he talks about himself in interviews. The 6-foot-8-inch Cleveland Cavalier speaks in the third person, a tendency that has contributed to his being characterized as narcissistic, self-obsessed and detached from reality.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, a true homer is someone who can't even acknowledge his flaws. You're not in that category. You do "lean homer" but I've seen you criticize some of the stuff he does (like the passive aggressive tweets, etc.).

I also think that a true hater, is someone who can't acknowledge how good he is. I probably lean hater, but not too far as I acknowledge how great he is and would welcome him on the Lakers.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course no one would notice if he wasn't a great player. Being a great player is also why Kobe being an asshole was noticed and why anyone even cared.

Why is it so difficult for you Lebron apologists to accept that there are many fans who can dislike him and still acknowledge that he's an all time great player?

Heck, I'm openly hoping that he chooses to come to the Lakers next season because he's a great player. But I still won't like him. He'll basically become just like Kobe for me. I won't like him, but I'll enjoy the heck out of the wins and, hopefully, another title or 2 so we can finally catch and pass those green bastards in Boston.

Those green bastards in Boston?

:exploding:

That's it, now I'm really angry.

untitledsaddsa.png

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Tom Brady.
i01bdy5.gif

he will end up being brought up on charges by the FTC, like his trainer/partner/guru/snake oil salesman has been in the past.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure top 5. But his career is not over yet.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, the notion of LeBron being a self-proclaimed King and referring to himself as the King is a very common one. Its often repeated and just treated as fact.

It stems from the fact that he had "The Chosen One" tattooed on himself when he was a kid (a title given to him by Sports Illustrated) and the phrase used by Dan Gilbert in his embarrassing letter.

In reality though, its just not true. He didn't give himself any nickname, and he doesn't refer to himself as the King or in the 3rd person. The dude gives hours upon hours of interviews every year and I'd be shocked if you came up with a single clip of him referring to himself as the King.

The closest thing was during the decision when he said "I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James". No nickname, and the 3rd person actually makes sense in this case.
Found this lil gem for ya to ponder on. :D

Did LeBron James Call Himself 'King James' In Free Agent Pitch?

Quick question: if he doesn't refer to himself as King then why is his name kingjames on IG?

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nba_g_james2b_395.jpg

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the same one Rock already linked.

Might be true, but I'm very skeptical of that story - especially coming from an anonymous player through a local wizards beat writer.
Ok, then what about his "chosen" IG handle kingjames? That's a fake also?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then what about his "chosen" IG handle kingjames? That's a fake also?

There's a HUGE difference - imo - between using your nickname on monikers and "going around referring to yourself by your nickname".

Lets say all my friends call me Gman. If I go around referring to myself as Gman - that's kinda insane and cringey and embarrassing.

If I make my SportsHoopla acount gman83... that's just normal shit that everyone does.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a HUGE difference - imo - between using your nickname on monikers and "going around referring to yourself by your nickname".

Lets say all my friends call me Gman. If I go around referring to myself as Gman - that's kinda insane and cringey and embarrassing.

If I make my SportsHoopla acount gman83... that's just normal shit that everyone does.
But if you use the name on SportsHoopla isn't that what you're asking to be referred to? So, because you don't have to say it out loud is the difference to you? come on Gordo...that is a very tight rope you're walkin.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you use the name on SportsHoopla isn't that what you're asking to be referred to? So, because you don't have to say it out loud is the difference to you? come on Gordo...that is a very tight rope you're walkin.

Yeah, that's honestly a huge difference to me. Is it not to you?

Isn't calling your friend and saying "Hey, Joe, Its LadyKilla, wanna go get some lunch?" like 1,000 times cringier and laugh-out-loud funny than using LadyKilla99 as an online account name??

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's honestly a huge difference to me. Is it not to you?

Isn't calling your friend and saying "Hey, Joe, Its LadyKilla, wanna go get some lunch?" like 1,000 times cringier and laugh-out-loud funny than using LadyKilla99 as an online account name??
No. There is no difference if that is what you're asking people to refer to you as - and IMO there certainly isn't a HUGE difference.

If hearing it out loud makes one cringe then seeing it documented in print should be even worse!