• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LA: They Are Who We Thought They Were

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so say the LA charger experiment does eventually fail, what is their best rescue plan anaheim? return to sd? san antonio? st louis? other?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so say the LA charger experiment does eventually fail, what is their best rescue plan anaheim? return to sd? san antonio? st louis? other?

It seems like San Diego is really crabby at the Chargers organization and doesn't want them back (at least in the near future). I'm thinking St. Louis wouldn't be on the top of the list either, considering they've failed the NFL twice already.

It's probably more likely they give a city like Mexico City or Toronto a try.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chargers never should've moved without securing a proper temporary stadium. I'm not sure what can realistically be done at this point. Moving them out of LA, only to return in 2020 doesn't make sense either. If the Chargers get forced out, it has to be to a new permanent (or as permanent as things are in the NFL these days) residence.

I bet the Chargers would be warmly received back in San Diego with new ownership.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like San Diego is really crabby at the Chargers organization and doesn't want them back (at least in the near future). I'm thinking St. Louis wouldn't be on the top of the list either, considering they've failed the NFL twice already.

nfl and cfl have an agreement still for no canada teams and i cant imagine nflpa signing off on mexico city. london might be an option.......

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nfl and cfl have an agreement still for no canada teams and i cant imagine nflpa signing off on mexico city. london might be an option.......

Mexico City HAS to be a better option than London. The time difference would kill TV ratings and the jetlag would magnify poor play. Besides, the Jags seem to have the inside path to London.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mexico City HAS to be a better option than London. The time difference would kill TV ratings and the jetlag would magnify poor play. Besides, the Jags seem to have the inside path to London.
I don't know if the time difference would affect tv ratings. You could just play it at 6 PM London time and the game would start at 1 EST just like all the other games.

And does anyone know if the early London game does better than the 1 PM games? Since it's the only game on at the time?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

London

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if the time difference would affect tv ratings. You could just play it at 6 PM London time and the game would start at 1 EST just like all the other games.

And does anyone know if the early London game does better than the 1 PM games? Since it's the only game on at the time?

I know I love waking up to a full day of NFL football. I get all day Saturday then all day Sunday on London weeks. I love it.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which owner do you guys think is shitting his pants more?

Kroenke, who is actually funding the $3 billion dollar project but has 50+ years history in LA, including a move away from there because support was dwindling.

or Spanos, who has few fans outside of San Diego, is probably not even the top 5 favorite team in LA, and even though he tarps seats in a soccer stadium he can't fill it up. Returning to SD is not an option for him, as most SD fans would still not break their wallets out if he's still the owner.

My guess is Spanos. Kroenke could flush 3 billion down the toilet and still be wealthy. Spanos is a laughing stock and his NFL team is about 90% of his wealth.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kroenke, who is actually funding the $3 billion dollar project but has 50+ years history in LA, including a move away from there because support was dwindling.

or Spanos, who has few fans outside of San Diego, is probably not even the top 5 favorite team in LA, and even though he tarps seats in a soccer stadium he can't fill it up. Returning to SD is not an option for him, as most SD fans would still not break their wallets out if he's still the owner.

My guess is Spanos. Kroenke could flush 3 billion down the toilet and still be wealthy. Spanos is a laughing stock and his NFL team is about 90% of his wealth.
kroenke owns the whole complex surrounding the stadium and the nfl network is moving its operations there, crowds or not he is going to make money.....spanos is treading water holding cement blocks

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kroenke has a team with talent that could be good, and good teams will draw a crowd in LA. Spanos has pissed off his fanbase, fighting the Rams for fans, fighting USC for fans, and has a team that doesn't have a ton of young hope.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just send them off to Barrow, Alaska.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I imagine they do terribly on the West Coast, which is where any lingering Chargers fans would be.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Chargers move to London, that will throw a wrench in NFL divisional alignment. Chargers would need to be in the East. Miami would have to move to the South and Houston or Indy would have to move to the West.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Support was only dwindling in LA because Frontiere was driving the team into the ground and the team was terrible as a result. Rams were 2nd in home attendance in the NFL last year.

Spanos needs to sell the team and let them return to San Diego.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chargers move to London, that will throw a wrench in NFL divisional alignment. Chargers would need to be in the East. Miami would have to move to the South and Houston or Indy would have to move to the West.
It's a logistical mess no matter how the divisions are set up.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a logistical mess no matter how the divisions are set up.

Right, but it would certainly be high priority for all involved to minimize trips from the UK to the US west coast and vice versa.

And you can bet MIA is going to throw a fit if they get outed from their long-standing division rivalries.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but it would certainly be high priority for all involved to minimize trips from the UK to the US west coast and vice versa.

And you can bet MIA is going to throw a fit if they get outed from their long-standing division rivalries.
yeah miami isnt moving....probably have to do something akin to the montreal/miami mlb franchise trade to keep chargers on the west coast if spanos wanted a london team

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mexico City is the same as London. A stupid move. Players won't want to move to either.

Toronto has CFL. If they wanted American football, they shouldn't being playing with their meme rules.

Keep the NFL in the US or risk alienating fans even further. It's like they want to shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get.

"Hey we've botched a few relocations"
"but what if we move a team across the border or overseas?"

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just go west long enough and you will be in London :happy: