• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kubiak Hosptalized

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to CNNSE on Patriots Monday, Gary Kudiak was hospitalized last night after the Broncos game with Atlanta. The diagnosis is a Complex Migrane. These headaches are extremely serious and the patient has to have darkness, quiet and heavy duty medication.

Reports are that Kubiak will not be on the sideline for the Chargers game Thursday Night. The Special Teams coach will fill in as interim coach.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he's ok ... speedy recovery ....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things are very nasty. Hope this doesn't cause him to have give up football for any exd.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
extended period of time..........

sorry

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBS Sports

When the Broncos get to San Diego for Thursday night's game against the Chargers, they won't have head coach Gary Kubiak on the sideline.

Broncos general manager John Elway announced on Monday that Kubiak will be taking the week off. The move comes just one day after Kubiak was hospitalized following the Broncos' 23-16 loss to the Falcons on Sunday.

"Gary's going to concentrate on Gary this week and everybody else will concentrate on figuring out how to get a win down in San Diego," Elway said.

Elway said that special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis will serve as the Broncos' interim coach in Kubiak's absence.

According to Elway, Kubiak actually started feeling under the weather before the Broncos took the field on Sunday.

"I was talking to him before the game, and he said wasn't feeling well," Elway said.

Kubiak was admitted to a local hospital about an hour after the game and spent the night there before being released on Monday.

According to the team, Kubiak was "diagnosed with a complex migraine condition that caused extreme fatigue and body weakness."

During this short stay in the hospital, Kubiak underwent several precautionary tests, including an MRI and a CT scan. Although both tests came back clean, Kubiak was still given some medication for his migraine issue.

A big reason that Elway and the Broncos are taking extra precaution with Kubiak's health is because the Broncos coach also had a health scare three years ago. Back in 2013, when he was coaching the Texans, Kubiak fainted on the sideline just before halftime of a game in Houston.

After being admitted to the hospital for that episode, doctors found that Kubiak had suffered a transient ischemic attack, or a mini-stroke.

The decision to go with DeCamillis as interim coach and not defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or offensive coordinator Rick Dennison revolved around the fact that Elway still wanted those guys to be able to handle their responsibilities for Thursday's game without worrying about the duties that a head coach has to worry about.

"It could've been anybody," Elway said of picking an interim coach. "With Wade concentrating on the defense and Rick on the offense, I think that it will be a seamless transition and the players feel great with it, too."

As for Kubiak, the fact that he's sitting out this week means he'll have extra time to rest before he would potentially coach again in Week 7. After the Broncos play on Thursday, they don't play against until Monday, Oct. 24 against the Texans.

Kubiak probably won't want to miss that game because it will be Brock Osweiler's return to Denver.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks, best wishes to Coach Kubiak on his recovery

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer. I wish for a speedy recovery for Gary.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't wish that on anyone, that sucks.

However, my mind has to go to Archer when Kreager says "Ha, she slapped you so hard you literally died" when a coach gets ill after a loss.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to CNNSE on Patriots Monday, Gary Kudiak was hospitalized last night after the Broncos game with Atlanta. The diagnosis is a Complex Migrane. These headaches are extremely serious and the patient has to have darkness, quiet and heavy duty medication.

Reports are that Kubiak will not be on the sideline for the Chargers game Thursday Night. The Special Teams coach will fill in as interim coach.

The special teams coach!? I would think it would be the offensive/defensive coordinator or something, but the special teams coach? Hmm.. perhaps I have underestimated what the special team coach has done for this long.

Hmmm....

*googles furiously*

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway said he'll be back after the Chargers game and he was doing fine today but they wanted to hold him out just in case.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The special teams coach!? I would think it would be the offensive/defensive coordinator or something, but the special teams coach? Hmm.. perhaps I have underestimated what the special team coach has done for this long.

Hmmm....

*googles furiously*

The Special Teams coach is the one who communicates directly with the head coach now and makes the calls on clock management, when to challenge a play, etc. Made sense to have him still be the "game manager", while leaving the coordinators free to call the offensive and defensive game plans.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope he gets better soon and back on the sideline

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best wishes, speedy recovery

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Special Teams coach is the one who communicates directly with the head coach now and makes the calls on clock management, when to challenge a play, etc. Made sense to have him still be the "game manager", while leaving the coordinators free to call the offensive and defensive game plans.

Was just about to write this. Throw in he has been around football for a very long time. He was hired by the Broncos in 1988 and has been coaching ever since. And like you said then this means that Phillips can focus on the defense alone and not have to do extra on a very short week. Same with Rick Dennison for the offense. No reason to try and put more on their plate on such a short week.

The only other guy I thought they might look at was Eric Studesville our RB's coach. He actually took over as interim coach a few years back so has a bit of experience taking over in that fashion.

AS for Kubiak this shouldn't end his coaching career. Migraines while debilitating can be somewhat controlled. The fact that this is the first one that I know of that has actually hospitalized him I would say this isn't a regularly occurring event in his life or one that he has been able to control for the most part. If this was a consistent issue I would be more concerned. Hoping he gets well this week and then can jump right back into things with a bit of rest.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best wishes to Kubiak for a speedy recovery.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heal fast coach. Migraines are wicked painful

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just about to write this. Throw in he has been around football for a very long time. He was hired by the Broncos in 1988 and has been coaching ever since. And like you said then this means that Phillips can focus on the defense alone and not have to do extra on a very short week. Same with Rick Dennison for the offense. No reason to try and put more on their plate on such a short week.

The only other guy I thought they might look at was Eric Studesville our RB's coach. He actually took over as interim coach a few years back so has a bit of experience taking over in that fashion.

AS for Kubiak this shouldn't end his coaching career. Migraines while debilitating can be somewhat controlled. The fact that this is the first one that I know of that has actually hospitalized him I would say this isn't a regularly occurring event in his life or one that he has been able to control for the most part. If this was a consistent issue I would be more concerned. Hoping he gets well this week and then can jump right back into things with a bit of rest.

You may be right about the migraines, but knowing his health record with a mini stroke, do you think it's worth the risk for a man that has won at almost every level and topped it off with a SB win last yr in his first yr as HC of the Broncos ?....I don't understand how someone could put their family at risk for nothing more than ego....
He should have retired over the off season for his family and his health...
I'm not buying the migraine crap, you don't have to take a week or 10 days off because of that, nor have I ever seen anyone be admitted to the hospital for it....And I've seen people with it so bad they they couldn't funtion right but after rest for a few hours, back up and running...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right about the migraines, but knowing his health record with a mini stroke, do you think it's worth the risk for a man that has won at almost every level and topped it off with a SB win last yr in his first yr as HC of the Broncos ?....I don't understand how someone could put their family at risk for nothing more than ego....
He should have retired over the off season for his family and his health...
I'm not buying the migraine crap, you don't have to take a week or 10 days off because of that, nor have I ever seen anyone be admitted to the hospital for it....And I've seen people with it so bad they they couldn't funtion right but after rest for a few hours, back up and running...
He was admitted to the hospital for "flu like symptons," but it was probably more precautionary due to his health problems in Houston a few years ago.

The man has some health issues, what do you want him to do, sit in a dark room the rest of his life? I don't think anyone says he's risking his life at this point, so if his doctors clear him, why shouldn't he go back to work doing what he loves?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was admitted to the hospital for "flu like symptons," but it was probably more precautionary due to his health problems in Houston a few years ago.

The man has some health issues, what do you want him to do, sit in a dark room the rest of his life? I don't think anyone says he's risking his life at this point, so if his doctors clear him, why shouldn't he go back to work doing what he loves?

Ever read up about stress, it doesn't care if you love what you're doing or not, it can kill you....And he has already had at least 1 warning from his body and maybe 2 with this one....Would you rather see him have a major stroke and be cripple the rest of his life or even die just so you could have a good HC that won you a SB ?
Try to remember, this is just a game, and people are just people, not robots....
I think of his kids and family that stand at risk of losing him when it is totally unnecessary....He's already lived his dream several times over, nothing left to gain and too much to lose IMO...