• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kubiak Hosptalized

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever read up about stress, it doesn't care if you love what you're doing or not, it can kill you....And he has already had at least 1 warning from his body and maybe 2 with this one....Would you rather see him have a major stroke and be cripple the rest of his life or even die just so you could have a good HC that won you a SB ?
Try to remember, this is just a game, and people are just people, not robots....
I think of his kids and family that stand at risk of losing him when it is totally unnecessary....He's already lived his dream several times over, nothing left to gain and too much to lose IMO...

I can agree with this line of thinking. Ultimately, every man has to take his own path. I'm sure that Kubes and his family have had this discussion many times. At some point in the near future, he may decide to hang up the ole play-sheet.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right about the migraines, but knowing his health record with a mini stroke, do you think it's worth the risk for a man that has won at almost every level and topped it off with a SB win last yr in his first yr as HC of the Broncos ?....I don't understand how someone could put their family at risk for nothing more than ego....
He should have retired over the off season for his family and his health...
I'm not buying the migraine crap, you don't have to take a week or 10 days off because of that, nor have I ever seen anyone be admitted to the hospital for it....And I've seen people with it so bad they they couldn't funtion right but after rest for a few hours, back up and running...

Few things...

1) This was more than just migraines. From the sound of it he might have had the flu on top of having migraines. As @Broncos6482 hinted towards any time a person has had a stroke and his having major headaches (which is a sign of a stroke possibly coming on or actually in the process) they will take precautions and take them to the hospital. He stayed overnight for observation and was sent home the next day. So I wouldn't say that this was some crazy thing that should just end his career.

2) We have no clue on how often migraines are actually a problem for him. On top of that they have done a ton of studies on the connections between migraines and strokes because the symptoms are actually so close and both have been misdiagnosed as the other. They have found no link between the two. So him having a migraine doesn't increase his chances of having a major stroke later on in life. Migraines though can be monitored and helped with medicine. Again though since this is the first I'm hearing of Migraines being a problem for him (and believe me we as Bronco fans have had a long history with Kubiak so good chance we would have heard about this before now) I'm guessing this isn't a consistent issue for him.

3) Maybe you don't take a week off just for a Migraine but when you combine that with other things and this being a short week then yes it makes sense for him to rest up and be ready for the next week. When the doctor's orders are for him to stay home and get rest with lots of fluids then he is not helping the team showing up on the last day not having been around the game plan and what the team wants to do.

4) Just so you know there are people with severe Migraines that never get back up and running. WE have a family friend that she can only stand maybe 2 hours a day of being in light. She has had multiple surgeries to try and help. She has had devices put in her that send electrical pulses to try and help the problem with very little success. When we go visit we have to speak quietly and can only stay for so long because too much exertion will trigger migraines that drop her to the ground. This is a daily battle for her. So while yes many will have one for maybe a few hours or a day and then get back to regular living there are others that they spend more time having a migraine than without one.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just a quick note. I do know for a fact that Kubiak and his family have had the talks about him going back to coaching after having his stroke. His family was divided but left the decision up to him. He loves coaching. I wouldn't blame him for walking away at this point as you pointed out Oldschool he has nothing left to prove. At the same time when you love something it is very difficult to give up. I live in a farming community and there is nothing worse than watching a farmer have to give it up. They will go sit in a pick up watching others cut corn for hours because they just love it that much.

For many of these coaches coaching is all they know. They have spent countless hours doing nothing else but coaching. This is a huge part of who they are. So I support Kubiak no matter what he decides. I appreciate all he has done for the Broncos and their fans. I hope he keeps coaching as he has done an incredible job with this team.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever read up about stress, it doesn't care if you love what you're doing or not, it can kill you....And he has already had at least 1 warning from his body and maybe 2 with this one....Would you rather see him have a major stroke and be cripple the rest of his life or even die just so you could have a good HC that won you a SB ?
Try to remember, this is just a game, and people are just people, not robots....
I think of his kids and family that stand at risk of losing him when it is totally unnecessary....He's already lived his dream several times over, nothing left to gain and too much to lose IMO...
I'm not pretending that I know more about him and his health than his doctor does. If they clear him, and he wants to keep coaching, why shouldn't he? I think you're really getting into some reckless speculation.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not pretending that I know more about him and his health than his doctor does. If they clear him, and he wants to keep coaching, why shouldn't he? I think you're really getting into some reckless speculation.

Well of course the decision is totally his, I can't see any good reason for him to go on that doesn't say selfish ego and reckless abandon....And although he is the exact twin of a friend of mine, he doesn't know or care what I think....I hope for his and his family's sake, he makes an informed and rational decision...The Broncos will survive without him.....
By the way, why do you have a pic of a gay guy in your avi, did you lose a bet or something ? :eek:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course the decision is totally his, I can't see any good reason for him to go on that doesn't say selfish ego and reckless abandon....And although he is the exact twin of a friend of mine, he doesn't know or care what I think....I hope for his and his family's sake, he makes an informed and rational decision...The Broncos will survive without him.....

Well I can think of one. First time ever having had this migraine before and shows no signs of this being something that will continue to hurt him if he keeps coaching. This was brought on by him having the flu not having a tendency towards migraines. So essentially he would be leaving coaching because he is worried about getting the flu. To me that would be the reckless abandon. I'm sure right now he has the best doctors giving him very informed information on the lasting effects that this event will have. IF there are no future issues because of this sickness then no reason he shouldn't resume his coaching. If this is something that will effect him in the future then yes I will agree with you.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if he loves what he's doing and doctors clear him, why shouldn't he continue to coach?

I do agree that the Broncos will survive without him.
By the way, why do you a pic of a gay guy in your avi, did you lose a bet or something ?
64138815.jpg

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with this line of thinking. Ultimately, every man has to take his own path. I'm sure that Kubes and his family have had this discussion many times. At some point in the near future, he may decide to hang up the ole play-sheet.
might be his best call. He's made enough money...had some fame, should be about family and quality of life.

I know it seems so easy saying what others should do, but that would be what I'm selling if I'm in his inner circle.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I can think of one. First time ever having had this migraine before and shows no signs of this being something that will continue to hurt him if he keeps coaching. This was brought on by him having the flu not having a tendency towards migraines. So essentially he would be leaving coaching because he is worried about getting the flu. To me that would be the reckless abandon. I'm sure right now he has the best doctors giving him very informed information on the lasting effects that this event will have. IF there are no future issues because of this sickness then no reason he shouldn't resume his coaching. If this is something that will effect him in the future then yes I will agree with you.

You are negating the most important fact in the picture, "he has already had a mini stroke" that puts him at a higher risk of having another stroke in and of itself....
I'm sure if you stop and think, you understand the enormous amount of stress that a HC has to deal with on a daily basis....There have been others that had to leave the game because of the effects of it on their health..
It's not a new thing, and Kubes is really pushing the envelope IMO...

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if he loves what he's doing and doctors clear him, why shouldn't he continue to coach?

I do agree that the Broncos will survive without him.

64138815.jpg

:lol: He needs to put his shirt on before he blinds somebody !!!

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heal fast coach. Migraines are wicked painful

I hear ya. Had a few that have just ruin my whole day. I did nothing but sleep, eat, and have a conversation with my buddy ralph. Good guy, wish he call more often.

Haven't had a day killer in about 3-5 years.

Weird thing. They usually come with triggers( or they do with me). Lack of sleep, eating unhealthy and lack of water are my 3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are negating the most important fact in the picture, "he has already had a mini stroke" that puts him at a higher risk of having another stroke in and of itself....
I'm sure if you stop and think, you understand the enormous amount of stress that a HC has to deal with on a daily basis....There have been others that had to leave the game because of the effects of it on their health..
It's not a new thing, and Kubes is really pushing the envelope IMO...

If you stop and think though strokes can happen whether he is coaching or not. Yes you can point to the stress of the job as maybe a big time trigger but I doubt somebody like Kubiak is just going to go live in a bubble. He is a very active person that wants something to do. It actually could be just as bad for him to stop as huge changes to your life and your daily functions can be an issue as well.

I would highly recommend reading an article in the magazine called "Stroke Smart." They talk about all the lifestyle changes that Kubiak has made to help make sure another stroke does not happen. He has also changed how he coaches to help take some of the stress off of his plate. So he has done plenty to help prevent future issues. If you look at his life right before the stroke you understand a lot more of why this kind of thing happens.

They are plenty manageable. I've seen plenty of people continue with a very full life after having a mini-stroke. Have to remember it wasn't even a regular stroke that he had. They call them TIA's. They are usually more of a warning sign of possible future events IF things don't change in the lifestyle you are living. He made the proper changes though so future issues while still a concern they would be whether he was coaching or not.

My guess is you are not a doctor or connected with the medical field in any way. So this is just you spouting an opinion not based in much. Again this is why I respect whatever decision Kubiak comes to because my guess is he has the best minds that actually understand all of this telling him of the risks involved with him continuing to coach. So my guess is he doesn't coach unless he has full approval by the doctors and Broncos to continue.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Had a few that have just ruin my whole day. I did nothing but sleep, eat, and have a conversation with my buddy ralph. Good guy, wish he call more often.

Haven't had a day killer in about 3-5 years.

Weird thing. They usually come with triggers( or they do with me). Lack of sleep, eating unhealthy and lack of water are my 3

Sounds like me. I get one that screws up my day every year or so.

Comes in the morning after a night of poor sleep and/or bad food.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you stop and think though strokes can happen whether he is coaching or not. Yes you can point to the stress of the job as maybe a big time trigger but I doubt somebody like Kubiak is just going to go live in a bubble. He is a very active person that wants something to do. It actually could be just as bad for him to stop as huge changes to your life and your daily functions can be an issue as well.

I would highly recommend reading an article in the magazine called "Stroke Smart." They talk about all the lifestyle changes that Kubiak has made to help make sure another stroke does not happen. He has also changed how he coaches to help take some of the stress off of his plate. So he has done plenty to help prevent future issues. If you look at his life right before the stroke you understand a lot more of why this kind of thing happens.

They are plenty manageable. I've seen plenty of people continue with a very full life after having a mini-stroke. Have to remember it wasn't even a regular stroke that he had. They call them TIA's. They are usually more of a warning sign of possible future events IF things don't change in the lifestyle you are living. He made the proper changes though so future issues while still a concern they would be whether he was coaching or not.

My guess is you are not a doctor or connected with the medical field in any way. So this is just you spouting an opinion not based in much. Again this is why I respect whatever decision Kubiak comes to because my guess is he has the best minds that actually understand all of this telling him of the risks involved with him continuing to coach. So my guess is he doesn't coach unless he has full approval by the doctors and Broncos to continue.

I don't need to read a book about it, I had a mother and brother who both died from strokes and a Pastor younger than me that had 1 a yr ago and still can't walk without a cane or use his 1 arm for anything...
He seemed healthy, hard worker, always on the go, no signs til it hit him. (stress)....I know enough to know this, it can change or take a life very quickly, and if you are high risk, it's russian roulette to keep putting yourself in a position to have another one...And your analogy verifies mine that it's simply selfish on his part to continue on under those conditions....

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need to read a book about it, I had a mother and brother who both died from strokes and a Pastor younger than me that had 1 a yr ago and still can't walk without a cane or use his 1 arm for anything...
He seemed healthy, hard worker, always on the go, no signs til it hit him. (stress)....I know enough to know this, it can change or take a life very quickly, and if you are high risk, it's russian roulette to keep putting yourself in a position to have another one...And your analogy verifies mine that it's simply selfish on his part to continue on under those conditions....
BS. You're not his doctor, you have no qualifications whatsoever to judge his health and well being and whether or not he should continue to coach. And it seems like the current situation is completely unrelated to his mini stroke in Houston a few years ago.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry to hear of your loss in your brother and mother to strokes. I've had family, friends, and people I work with taken by them as well.

And while I will agree there is risk involved in him coaching I guess I just see the fact that there would be risk with everything he does. He had a TIA which is different than an actual stroke. It is more of a warning sign that things need to change or something worse is coming. Again if you read the article you would realize all the changes he has made to his lifestyle and even the way he coaches to make sure that an actual stroke does not happen. Doesn't mean it won't happen just means he has done a lot to make sure it doesn't.

And like I said I"m sure he has received the best medical advice that money can buy. I don't think a doctor would tell him to go back to coaching unless he thought he could handle it. I'm sure he has told him there are risks involved and he needs to make sure to keep eating healthy, exercising, taking breaks, and not working as many hours. All things he has done. I guess to me I just don't consider it selfish for a person to keep doing what they love. I have farmers all the time that have said they would rather die in the tractor than in a nursing home. And the families fully understand that because farming is a huge part of who they are. Yes they don't want to lose their loved one earlier than they have to but I have seen plenty of farmers that just months after quitting farming die anyway. They have studies that show that people who retire earlier in life actually have a shorter life span than those who work longer into life. So you could say it is a risk either way.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS. You're not his doctor, you have no qualifications whatsoever to judge his health and well being and whether or not he should continue to coach. And it seems like the current situation is completely unrelated to his mini stroke in Houston a few years ago.

Thank you for your view, Blind Bartimaeus !!!!!:rolleyes2:

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry to hear of your loss in your brother and mother to strokes. I've had family, friends, and people I work with taken by them as well.

And while I will agree there is risk involved in him coaching I guess I just see the fact that there would be risk with everything he does. He had a TIA which is different than an actual stroke. It is more of a warning sign that things need to change or something worse is coming. Again if you read the article you would realize all the changes he has made to his lifestyle and even the way he coaches to make sure that an actual stroke does not happen. Doesn't mean it won't happen just means he has done a lot to make sure it doesn't.

And like I said I"m sure he has received the best medical advice that money can buy. I don't think a doctor would tell him to go back to coaching unless he thought he could handle it. I'm sure he has told him there are risks involved and he needs to make sure to keep eating healthy, exercising, taking breaks, and not working as many hours. All things he has done. I guess to me I just don't consider it selfish for a person to keep doing what they love. I have farmers all the time that have said they would rather die in the tractor than in a nursing home. And the families fully understand that because farming is a huge part of who they are. Yes they don't want to lose their loved one earlier than they have to but I have seen plenty of farmers that just months after quitting farming die anyway. They have studies that show that people who retire earlier in life actually have a shorter life span than those who work longer into life. So you could say it is a risk either way.

Well the decision is his to make and he will either way....We'll just have to wait and see..I wish him well !!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the decision is his to make and he will either way....We'll just have to wait and see..I wish him well !!

Exactly it is his decision and yes I think all Bronco fans will respect whatever he does. I just don't think we should be calling it selfish for him to stay and keep coaching. Especially when this latest health scare sounds more and more like he just had a really bad flu that brought on a migraine. Which hey dehydration is part of what can bring on the flu and dehydration can also be what brings on migraines. So it could be just as simple as when he gets healthy him drinking some more fluid. I wouldn't say that is enough to say he is selfish for wanting to continue to coach.