• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kubiak Hosptalized

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly it is his decision and yes I think all Bronco fans will respect whatever he does. I just don't think we should be calling it selfish for him to stay and keep coaching. Especially when this latest health scare sounds more and more like he just had a really bad flu that brought on a migraine. Which hey dehydration is part of what can bring on the flu and dehydration can also be what brings on migraines. So it could be just as simple as when he gets healthy him drinking some more fluid. I wouldn't say that is enough to say he is selfish for wanting to continue to coach.

You keep bypassing the mini stroke that puts him at high risk though....And what could he possibly add to his already successful career by doing that ?...You said, he's doing what he loves to do, not what he has to do, that makes it selfish or for his own need....Not his family's need...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep bypassing the mini stroke that puts him at high risk though....And what could he possibly add to his already successful career by doing that ?...You said, he's doing what he loves to do, not what he has to do, that makes it selfish or for his own need....Not his family's need...

I'm not bypassing it at all. I've said there is risk because of that. I'm saying though because he has made the necessary changes to his life to help prevent it from becoming something more I feel much better about the chances of that not happening to him.

And I don't think he can add much more to his career. Sometimes though you just keep doing what you love long past your prime. What did Joe Montana have left to prove in his career after winning 4 Super Bowls? Yet he kept playing. What does John Harbaugh have left to prove with his career after winning a Super Bowl? These guys keep doing this because they love the game that much.

And I guess I'm not sure why doing something you love beyond when you have to do it makes it selfish. During the spring I help coach our local high school golf team. Every day I see men way past their prime out golfing. They don't need to be out there and are much worse than they were even 10 years before. They do it because they love it. I see farmers all the time farming way past their prime. I see them needing help getting into the tractor but they continue to do it because they love it and the family supports them because they know how much it means to them. My wife is not a big football fan but since she married me she watches the Broncos with me. She puts our daughter in a Broncos outfit every Sunday. She does this because she knows how much I love it and supports me in that. This is what families do sometimes.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bypassing it at all. I've said there is risk because of that. I'm saying though because he has made the necessary changes to his life to help prevent it from becoming something more I feel much better about the chances of that not happening to him.

And I don't think he can add much more to his career. Sometimes though you just keep doing what you love long past your prime. What did Joe Montana have left to prove in his career after winning 4 Super Bowls? Yet he kept playing. What does John Harbaugh have left to prove with his career after winning a Super Bowl? These guys keep doing this because they love the game that much.

And I guess I'm not sure why doing something you love beyond when you have to do it makes it selfish. During the spring I help coach our local high school golf team. Every day I see men way past their prime out golfing. They don't need to be out there and are much worse than they were even 10 years before. They do it because they love it. I see farmers all the time farming way past their prime. I see them needing help getting into the tractor but they continue to do it because they love it and the family supports them because they know how much it means to them. My wife is not a big football fan but since she married me she watches the Broncos with me. She puts our daughter in a Broncos outfit every Sunday. She does this because she knows how much I love it and supports me in that. This is what families do sometimes.

C'mon cd, non of that stuff even scratches the surface of the stress a HC in the NFL has to deal with every day...
But I can see, you are leaning to the hope so side and that's ok....I see it as much more serious than you do, obviously....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon cd, non of that stuff even scratches the surface of the stress a HC in the NFL has to deal with every day...
But I can see, you are leaning to the hope so side and that's ok....I see it as much more serious than you do, obviously....

Yes I have more hope than you in this but it is based around the idea that he is talking to people much more in the know and much more intelligent than you and me on this issue. I can promise he has spoken to plenty of doctors as well as his family listening to these doctors. If they say he is good to go and this isn't something he should worry about for the long-term then I don't see a reason he shouldn't keep coaching. If they tell him that there are future issues then I have no problem with him walking away from the game right now even if that means hurting the Broncos in the short term. My point of view is that he listens to his doctors not somebody on here speculating about what actually happened. If this was just him having the flu then I just don't see the issue and why you are making this to be such a huge deal. If it is more than the flu then yeah I can agree with you. We just don't know all the details so I think you are jumping to some wild conclusions without much information.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was admitted to the hospital for "flu like symptons," but it was probably more precautionary due to his health problems in Houston a few years ago.

The man has some health issues, what do you want him to do, sit in a dark room the rest of his life? I don't think anyone says he's risking his life at this point, so if his doctors clear him, why shouldn't he go back to work doing what he loves?

The fact that they sat him down for a week and he's had other health scares (maybe unrelated) makes me think it's more than just...go back to work in a week and everything will be all good.

I'm not saying he should stop coaching, but there maybe some lifestyle things that he needs to change on going to protect his well being.

Kubiak wouldn't be the only HC that left the game due to health reasons...Madden, Dan Reeves come to mind.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly it is his decision and yes I think all Bronco fans will respect whatever he does. I just don't think we should be calling it selfish for him to stay and keep coaching. Especially when this latest health scare sounds more and more like he just had a really bad flu that brought on a migraine. Which hey dehydration is part of what can bring on the flu and dehydration can also be what brings on migraines. So it could be just as simple as when he gets healthy him drinking some more fluid. I wouldn't say that is enough to say he is selfish for wanting to continue to coach.
Well, you're wrong. Oldschool knows more about this situation than Kubiak, his family, or his doctors all know combined. If he says it's selfish, you can bank on it.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Dr. Oldschool, where did you get your medical degree from?

I'll bet you were also the same kind of person that said Manning should retire after his neck surgeries, too.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they sat him down for a week and he's had other health scares (maybe unrelated) makes me think it's more than just...go back to work in a week and everything will be all good.

I'm not saying he should stop coaching, but there maybe some lifestyle things that he needs to change on going to protect his well being.

Kubiak wouldn't be the only HC that left the game due to health reasons...Madden, Dan Reeves come to mind.
He's taking a week off to recover from being sick. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I usually take it easy when I'm sick, too.

As for lifestyle changes, he made a bunch of changes to his coaching philosophy after he went to Baltimore and learned from Harbaugh. He's much more hands off now than he was before. And yes, coaching is stressful, but there's probably not a coach in the league with more job security than Kubiak. He just won a Super Bowl, his best friend is his boss, he's got ties to the Broncos going back 33 years, and the fans love him. He's not exactly coaching for his job here.

Call me crazy, but I think Kubiak is a smart guy and will do what's best for him based on what his doctors tell him, and not what a bunch of arm chair posters on a message board who get all of their medical knowledge from WebMD think.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's taking a week off to recover from being sick. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I usually take it easy when I'm sick, too.

As for lifestyle changes, he made a bunch of changes to his coaching philosophy after he went to Baltimore and learned from Harbaugh. He's much more hands off now than he was before. And yes, coaching is stressful, but there's probably not a coach in the league with more job security than Kubiak. He just won a Super Bowl, his best friend is his boss, he's got ties to the Broncos going back 33 years, and the fans love him. He's not exactly coaching for his job here.

Call me crazy, but I think Kubiak is a smart guy and will do what's best for him based on what his doctors tell him, and not what a bunch of arm chair posters on a message board who get all of their medical knowledge from WebMD think.

WELL!

I'm sure SOMEBODY (SportsHoopla) likes us arm chair posters! :nod:

Get well Kubiak!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be more worried if it wasn't for the fact that we are playing on Thursday. That seems to be a detail being left out here. He stayed in the hospital over night for observation and was home the next day. If he was dehydrated (which is usually something associated with both the flu and migraines) then it would take a day or two to get his body back to normal. Throw in with the flu most teams actually tell players and coaches to stay away from the facilities for a day or two. We see this happen way too often that one person comes in sick and then it goes through the whole team.

My guess is if this was a Sunday game then yes Kubiak would be our coach. With this being a Thursday game though quick turn around makes it difficult if he even misses one day from the facility. Another reason the Broncos might be giving him extra time is the Broncos have the most experienced coaching staff in the NFL right now with Wade Phillips having 25 years experience just as a coordinator. Joe DeCamillis with 24 years of experience, and Rick Dennison with 13 years experience as a coordinator. So they can survive a few days without the coach.

Listen I understand this situation is heightened by the fact that this is the 2nd time now that Kubiak has been taken to the hospital. And as I have said I would understand if he walked away from coaching today. At this time though we have very little information on the seriousness of the situation. They are giving him a few days and at least to me I'm not going to worry until he maybe misses the next week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to keep in mind when thinking it must be more serious than some think because he is missing the game this week. He went into the hospital Sunday night, was released Monday I think early afternoon. So he had already missed a whole day worth of prep for the game since the team is playing on Thursday. So he would have only had Tuesday at the facility and them traveling on Wednesday to San Diego. And again if he had the flu that would mean him in close quarters with the coaches and players most likely still in the contagious time frame.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more worried if it wasn't for the fact that we are playing on Thursday. That seems to be a detail being left out here. He stayed in the hospital over night for observation and was home the next day. If he was dehydrated (which is usually something associated with both the flu and migraines) then it would take a day or two to get his body back to normal. Throw in with the flu most teams actually tell players and coaches to stay away from the facilities for a day or two. We see this happen way too often that one person comes in sick and then it goes through the whole team.

My guess is if this was a Sunday game then yes Kubiak would be our coach. With this being a Thursday game though quick turn around makes it difficult if he even misses one day from the facility. Another reason the Broncos might be giving him extra time is the Broncos have the most experienced coaching staff in the NFL right now with Wade Phillips having 25 years experience just as a coordinator. Joe DeCamillis with 24 years of experience, and Rick Dennison with 13 years experience as a coordinator. So they can survive a few days without the coach.

Listen I understand this situation is heightened by the fact that this is the 2nd time now that Kubiak has been taken to the hospital. And as I have said I would understand if he walked away from coaching today. At this time though we have very little information on the seriousness of the situation. They are giving him a few days and at least to me I'm not going to worry until he maybe misses the next week.

You could be spot on about Thurs vs Sun, but imo it made sense just to give him the week off. This being his 2nd health scare was probably a factor as well.

I trust his doctors are doing the best by him and his family, Broncos family are all attentive to what the doctors want to see happen.

I think Elway would've had a different message in his presser if Kubiak was told this was more serious.

My position is you have to pay attention to health scares...I had a neighbor...33 y/o in good shape that loved to drink beer and smoke a good cigar. Had a minor health scare...blurred vision and shortness of breath for about 5 mins...went and got checked out and Dr didn't find anything major...continued with his same lifestyle...about 3 yrs later was traveling on biz and playing in a charity tournament his company was involved in...collapsed on the golf course, in the hospital for 2 days...had to cut out the cigars and cut way back his miller lites.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Kubiak does the right thing when it's all said and done.

which reminds me of a song verse
Old men sit around and talk about the weather while old women sit around and talk about old men

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be spot on about Thurs vs Sun, but imo it made sense just to give him the week off. This being his 2nd health scare was probably a factor as well.

I trust his doctors are doing the best by him and his family, Broncos family are all attentive to what the doctors want to see happen.

I think Elway would've had a different message in his presser if Kubiak was told this was more serious.

My position is you have to pay attention to health scares...I had a neighbor...33 y/o in good shape that loved to drink beer and smoke a good cigar. Had a minor health scare...blurred vision and shortness of breath for about 5 mins...went and got checked out and Dr didn't find anything major...continued with his same lifestyle...about 3 yrs later was traveling on biz and playing in a charity tournament his company was involved in...collapsed on the golf course, in the hospital for 2 days...had to cut out the cigars and cut way back his miller lites.

Oh I get that any kind of health scare with Kubiak needs to be taken seriously. I just do not agree with Oldschool that if Kubiak comes back to coaching that he is being a selfish person especially towards his family. Because he has already had a TIA yes it increases his chances of a major stroke later on and yes stress is a factor in that happening. I just know also though retiring early increases health risks just as much as him continuing at a stressful job. They have linked early retirement to anxiety, depression, dementia, and cardiovascular disease. So to me if his doctors say that it is safe to return to work then I would say go for it if that is what he wants and his family is ok with it. There are people much more in tune with the situation than any of us here who are making a lot of assumptions based on very little. I'm just going to trust whatever he decides is in the best interest of him and his family.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get that any kind of health scare with Kubiak needs to be taken seriously. I just do not agree with Oldschool that if Kubiak comes back to coaching that he is being a selfish person especially towards his family. Because he has already had a TIA yes it increases his chances of a major stroke later on and yes stress is a factor in that happening. I just know also though retiring early increases health risks just as much as him continuing at a stressful job. They have linked early retirement to anxiety, depression, dementia, and cardiovascular disease. So to me if his doctors say that it is safe to return to work then I would say go for it if that is what he wants and his family is ok with it. There are people much more in tune with the situation than any of us here who are making a lot of assumptions based on very little. I'm just going to trust whatever he decides is in the best interest of him and his family.

I did like Oldschool's post, but I don't agree he's being selfish or whatever...now if he's been given some lifestyle changes and he's not following them...that's a different story, but we don't know that.

Early retirement...I've heard that...ironically I live in a development with several retirees...idk how long many of these guys have been retired, but they do make it a point to stay active...my mother-n-law (a young 71) complains about her job, she doesn't need the money, but she refuses to quit because she fears getting old faster.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like Oldschool's post, but I don't agree he's being selfish or whatever...now if he's been given some lifestyle changes and he's not following them...that's a different story, but we don't know that.

Early retirement...I've heard that...ironically I live in a development with several retirees...idk how long many of these guys have been retired, but they do make it a point to stay active...my mother-n-law (a young 71) complains about her job, she doesn't need the money, but she refuses to quit because she fears getting old faster.
Well I do know there have been a lot of studies on early retirement and it has not done well for people's health. Some thrive in it staying active and finding things to do but others that is a tough adjustment when you have been working for 50 years.

As for lifestyle changes this is again where I recommend reading the article written on Kubiak geared towards just him and how he has handled his TIA. He has made lifestyle changes and has completely changed up how he coaches the team. Pretty much doctors told him he had to learn how to give up some of that control and that was part of why he loved Baltimore so much. He could focus on the offense and nothing else. He also saw how Harbaugh and the team operated with having a lot of trust in the Coordinators to do their job (not so much right now with them just firing their OC but when Kubiak was there that was the case). I think that was also why the Broncos brought in so many people that Kubiak has worked with before and trusts them to know what they are doing. He doesn't interfere in anything that DeCamillis and Phillips are doing and works very closely with Dennison in figuring out the offensive game plan. He doe give input to the others but still gives them complete veto power if they don't agree with him. So again he isn't working as much just trusting those guys to do their job. He also takes breaks throughout the day to go exercise instead of continuing to work. He is willing to shut down earlier in the day to make sure he gets plenty of sleep. He takes vacations during the off season. And maybe his two biggest changes are that he no longer takes sleep aid medicine to help him sleep and has completely changed his diet to help keep him healthy.

So at least when I read those kind of things it makes me think that Kubiak has done plenty to show he took the TIA seriously and has done a lot to keep it from turning into a major stroke. Doesn't mean it won't happen but I think it could happen just as much from quitting as it could from him continuing to work.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his doctor clears him to coach hell yes, go ahead and coach. Paterno had multiple huge health scares when he coached and died within a year of his retirement. You see that all the time where a guy is doing well until he retires and he quits the activity and he's gone.

So yeah, it is only selfish if his family tells him no and he disagrees with them or his doctor tells him no and he does anyways.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I have more hope than you in this but it is based around the idea that he is talking to people much more in the know and much more intelligent than you and me on this issue. I can promise he has spoken to plenty of doctors as well as his family listening to these doctors. If they say he is good to go and this isn't something he should worry about for the long-term then I don't see a reason he shouldn't keep coaching. If they tell him that there are future issues then I have no problem with him walking away from the game right now even if that means hurting the Broncos in the short term. My point of view is that he listens to his doctors not somebody on here speculating about what actually happened. If this was just him having the flu then I just don't see the issue and why you are making this to be such a huge deal. If it is more than the flu then yeah I can agree with you. We just don't know all the details so I think you are jumping to some wild conclusions without much information.

Mini Stroke = High Risk, unless he is not of the human species....Work on that FACT, and then maybe you can get past your own biased opinion....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Dr. Oldschool, where did you get your medical degree from?

I'll bet you were also the same kind of person that said Manning should retire after his neck surgeries, too.

The same place you got your blind homer glasses.....And no I wanted to see PM succeed to show Irsay for the drunken idiot he is and make him suffer....
Unfortunately he happened to do that by dragging the Donkeys out of obscurity and make them relevant again even if only for a little while before their drunken GM drags them right back down again...
You don't need a medical degree to tell you what common sense does....Breaking News : Red light means STOP....
Well at least to people that have an I.Q above that of a frog...:rolleyes2: