• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kam Chancellor Hold out?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually winning, but a noticeable lack of Bam in run support and dump off passes would work just fine for Kam. Losing , but the defense played excellent , doesn't really help his cause. He wants to be missed, does not= hoping for Seahawks to lose.
I Actually pointed that out a few pages ago.
Seahawks win and the secondary looks good = WTF now Kam?
Seahawks win and secondary (or specifically SS is like meh) = Slight bit more leverage to push back on the team with.
Seahawks lose and SS is meh = More leverage.
Seahawks lose and SS is garbage = Kam and his agent asking for the moon (adding more to what they asked for the day before).

That's how these things work. It is how they have ALWAYS worked.

He needs the team to play badly to get what he's asking for. It really is the only thing he's moving forward for.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually winning, but a noticeable lack of Bam in run support and dump off passes would work just fine for Kam. Losing , but the defense played excellent , doesn't really help his cause. He wants to be missed, does not= hoping for Seahawks to lose.
You're right, but you're really just arguing semantics... So if you'd prefer, he doesn't necessarily want the team to lose, but he wants to see the defensive secondary struggle. So he wouldn't mind seeing the team be in a vulnerable situation that doesn't put them in the best spot to win... does that really sound any better?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen Kam Chancellor put his ass on the line and play some of the most physical ball we've ever seen in this city, he has left it all on the field every Sun day for my entertainment. If he wants the team to feel like they need him, so what? I don't take it personally, even if it is true. And what about all the reports about him working with teammates during his holdout? A couple weeks ago that was evidence that he was still a leader. Are those reports no longer credible because we're mad at him? Now he just wants them all to fail...
Nothing you said is wrong. In fact, the guy that's replacing him said on the radio a few days ago that Kam spoke to him after the last preseason game and gave him some pointers. No one suggested he hasn't done a lot for the team, nor that he wants his friends to succeed.

This isn't an either or, it's the grey area of real life. He is working hard AND needs the team to lose so he can come back with the business deal he wants.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, but you're really just arguing semantics... So if you'd prefer, he doesn't necessarily want the team to lose, but he wants to see the defensive secondary struggle. So he wouldn't mind seeing the team be in a vulnerable situation that doesn't put them in the best spot to win... does that really sound any better?
He wants to be missed, wouldn't all of us feel the same way, if we were in his shoes?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to be missed, wouldn't all of us feel the same way, if we were in his shoes?
I like to think if I were in his shoes I'd wait until it's appropriate to expect my contract be redone, and not be in this mess at all.

But yes I'd want to be missed. I'd want the team to be obviously not as good without me. Otherwise there's no point in holding out to begin with...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to think if I were in his shoes I'd wait until it's appropriate to expect my contract be redone, and not be in this mess at all.

But yes I'd want to be missed. I'd want the team to be obviously not as good without me. Otherwise there's no point in holding out to begin with...
It was a bad idea on Kams part, going to cost him some $ I think, although with all this talk of the Seahawks offering him something, I am not positive any more.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like next year? Hold out when there's practically no dead money and they would just cut him? The last two years of his deal, like a growing number of them, are hollow, and only exist so that the team could prorate the signing bonus. What do we fans always say when players sign long term deals? "They'll never see the end of it." Well guess what, players see it the same way.

People need to stop looking at these deals like one entire contract. A five year contract is more like five seperate contracts, evaluated in the offseasons by both sides, then either continued upon, or not.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like next year? Hold out when there's practically no dead money and they would just cut him? The last two years of his deal, like a growing number of them, are hollow, and only exist so that the team could prorate the signing bonus. What do we fans always say when players sign long term deals? "They'll never see the end of it." Well guess what, players see it the same way.

People need to stop looking at these deals like one entire contract. A five year contract is more like five seperate contracts, evaluated in the offseasons by both sides, then either continued upon, or not.
Yup, spot on.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can look at it as 5 separate contracts all you want, but it's not. He's about to miss at least one game, and how much is he on the hook for now?clearly not waiting isn't working out for him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can look at it as 5 separate contracts all you want, but it's not. He's about to miss at least one game, and how much is he on the hook for now?clearly not waiting isn't working out for him.
Carefull, because you never know how this will shake out.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he's doing makes no sense. He's already given up half a million in fines just for this week because of his lost game check and the portion of his signing bonus he will have to write a check back to the team for. Add in everything else for missing camp. All to move a few million from '17 to '16? And now that the team didn't give it to him he's going to push it into the season. If the team plays well and wins without him he's going to be out a LOT of money. They should hold his fines against him, or at least most of it. Make him lose and show others this shit isn't going to work. Don't sign contracts you aren't willing to play for. Pretty simple.

Agreed, which is why your "simple logic" thing doesn't really make an air tight argument that he's rooting for the team to lose. He's already doing things that don't make sense, so why are you then telling us what he MUST be rooting for based on what makes sense? It's just your opinion, and you should try a little harder to share your opinion without tossing vulgarities at anyone who doesn't see it the same way.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't the Seahawks release him and then he's free game?
Already mostly answered, but would like to add:

Players with > 4 accrued seasons don't go through waivers unless they're released after the trade deadline. Those with 4+ seasons are instantly free agents unless they get waived after the trade deadline during the season. And like another poster already said: all remaining prorated cap implications get accelerated to the current year if cut or traded. According to spotrac, this would be $5.5M for Kam right now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the information JMR!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he can fuck off like anyone else in a business situation.

Except that's not how business works in his world. I work in the entertainment biz. Stuff like Kam is pulling happens all the time.

Comparing him to regular joes doesn't make sense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that's not how business works in his world. I work in the entertainment biz. Stuff like Kam is pulling happens all the time.

Comparing him to regular joes doesn't make sense.
Yup, I think our life experience give us all a different out look.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool story
Didn't address the topic AT ALL :L

We all know what he wants. That's never been in question or dispute. YOU assert I'm off base in saying he needs the team to lose to get more leverage. You speak NOTHING about WHY he's pushing this into the season. What does he expect to gain by making this distraction drag on into the season? You can't answer that. You won't answer that.

Are you even reading any more? I posted EXACTLY why he's doing it, and how I don't think it's going to work.

Hey, paint him as a villain. It's all good. I just think you're off base with your questions about his character. I disagree with you on that.

The world still spins. We get to watch actual football on Sunday.

Get your blue and green voodoo Kam doll ready.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you even reading any more? I posted EXACTLY why he's doing it, and how I don't think it's going to work.

Hey, paint him as a villain. It's all good. I just think you're off base with your questions about his character. I disagree with you on that.

Yeah I don't see as villain myself, just had a lapse in judgement here. Poor business decision.

Go Seahawks!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yes it is. These deals are year to year. I think that for some reason, you just don't want to recognize it, but it's how both sides see it. Just ask any player who has been cut while under contract, or any team who has buckled to a players demands. Why do I get the feeling that if the Hawks cut an underperforming player under contract, you might sing a different tune about how these contracts are evaluated year to year?

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, which is why your "simple logic" thing doesn't really make an air tight argument that he's rooting for the team to lose. He's already doing things that don't make sense, so why are you then telling us what he MUST be rooting for based on what makes sense? It's just your opinion, and you should try a little harder to share your opinion without tossing vulgarities at anyone who doesn't see it the same way.
:L Because there's no reason to sit home if he doesn't want to push the team to give in and they WON'T unless their play is so glaringly in need of him that they are forced to.

This is NFL hold out 101 people. It's not new and it's not hard to figure out.

It "IS" simple logic. And as of yet, no one has presented even one cohesive argument otherwise. It's just no, you don't know what you are talking about, without any reasonable counter.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope, you haven't answered the question. And can't.