• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jose Quintana traded to Cubs

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're also ignoring the fact that he's tied to a
Yes, like I said. He's a good pitcher.

He's a #2 in a decent rotation, and a #3 in a truly top-level rotation.

He has a career 3.51 ERA and 115 ERA+ despite having some god awful defensive teams behind him.

Yes, exactly. He's solid. He's consistent. He's not great. He's a very good pitcher for 5-6 innings. I'd also be interested in seeing how his numbers stack up against some of the better offenses in baseball during his career. It sure seems like he makes his paycheck shutting down lesser offenses, and failing to rise to the occasion very often against the best offensive clubs.

... and... he's been downright poor this year. Which is something you're not accounting for. His trade value was down. Most of the talk surrounding the White Sox was that they wouldn't get much of anything for him at this stage.

The top two prospects in the Cubs organization, is a lot for a solid #2.

he's a #2 pitcher tied to a very friendly contract, under control for three and a half more years. That's one of the biggest reasons why he's been one of the biggest names tossed around in the rumor mill over the last year or so.

MLB Rankings

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're also ignoring the fact that he's tied to a

he's a #2 pitcher tied to a very friendly contract, under control for three and a half more years. That's one of the biggest reasons why he's been one of the biggest names tossed around in the rumor mill over the last year or so.

MLB Rankings

That's fine. Hopefully he suddenly improves on his command, or he won't even be worth that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a future move as well, people....

Arrieta wants a giant 6+ year deal with a ton of money, and someone will probably give it to him. Lackey is 38 and basically on retirement. They lose two starters next year and Quintana has 2 years of options at $10M, so they get him for 3 1/2 years and don't have to go SUPER hard in free agency next year.

Yes Jiminez is good and the Cubs gave up a bit of a premium, but he has really no spot in the outfield at the moment.

I'd give the edge/nod to the Sox in this deal, but it's not as lopsided as people are making it out to be. Again, Cubs are losing two starters next year... so it'll be Lester, Quintana, Hendricks, Butler/Montgomery and hole... Having two holes to solve for next season would be an issue.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? How could you possibly not say the White Sox?

#1 and #2 prospects in the Cubs organization... two additional prospects. For a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA.

The White Sox got the Chris Sale haul all over again, for an "okay #2" or "very good #3".

Like most quality current MLer for prospect trades both teams "won". The Cubs needed a quality arm NOW, the Sox needed quality prospects. That's how trading improves everyone. Same thing applies to the real world i.e. capitalism. Trades don't need to be zero sum with a winner and loser.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most quality current MLer for prospect trades both teams "won". The Cubs needed a quality arm NOW, the Sox needed quality prospects. That's how trading improves everyone. Same thing applies to the real world i.e. capitalism. Trades don't need to be zero sum with a winner and loser.

Oh, I agree 100%. It's not about "winning or losing". It's about getting better.

However, he was talking about if he was FORCED to pick one. With which, I'd have to say the White Sox. Simply because I feel that the assets acquired by the White Sox, are worth more than Jose Quintana is currently.

The Cubs got what they needed, and I probably would have made the same move. However, I do feel that just from a raw projection point of view. They overpaid.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? How could you possibly not say the White Sox?

#1 and #2 prospects in the Cubs organization... two additional prospects. For a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA.

The White Sox got the Chris Sale haul all over again, for an "okay #2" or "very good #3".
#1 & #2 prospects in the organization are not made equally. Their #2 was still about #70 overall. You wouldn't think the Tigers #1 & #2 was equal to say the Yankees #1 & #2, would you? Even though they're both technically #1's & #2's. And are you really gonna refer to Quintana as "a 4.50 ERA kind of pitcher"? So you're basing him more off of half a season than for several years worth of data. Plus he's controlled for several more years at a cheap price. And he's already begun to turn things back to normal this year.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brewers wouldn't give up talented young prospects.

if the price is right, Attanasio would pull the trigger

the difference now is that their farm system is loaded with talent so giving up a few of the prospects would not hurt them that bad

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can check the White Sox forum, and the year long thread. We had given up on getting anything for Q. Much less this haul the Cubs ponied up.

I don't think you understand that a week ago, if you would have said that the White Sox would get ONLY Cease for Q. We would have been happy. To get a top 10 prospect in all of baseball for him, AND Cease? Wow.

The only way I think this trade is even, is if you can convince Q is a #1. Which I don't think there is a case for.

I mean, it's fine... We always see this. Teams buying have to overpay a bit at the deadline for pitching, out of a little bit of desperation. It is what it is, the Cubs will 100% be okay. However, we need to call this what it is... IMO. The Cubs overpaying.

I don't think anyone is buying that you or any White Sox fan would've been happy to only get Cease in a trade for Jose Quintana. No way man.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox now with 9 of the Top 100 prospects

Trading Sale and Quintana has had the same effect as the Yankees trading Miller and Chapman last season

Well done

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox now with 9 of the Top 100 prospects

Trading Sale and Quintana has had the same effect as the Yankees trading Miller and Chapman last season

Well done
Also traded Adam Eaton. I hope that the Tigers are the next team to do this. Wilson, Martinez & Avila should definitely be traded at least. Kinsler, Verlander, Iglesias are possibilities as well. We need a restocked farm system as well!

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also traded Adam Eaton. I hope that the Tigers are the next team to do this. Wilson, Martinez & Avila should definitely be traded at least. Kinsler, Verlander, Iglesias are possibilities as well. We need a restocked farm system as well!

Oh yeah, the Tigers definitely need it as much as anyone......Catchers are hard to move, but they should be trying to sell high on Avila ASAP......Wilson is always a guy a team needs, and Kinsler would be a real good get for anyone......Think JV would have to be a salary dump, unless the Tigers picked up some money, maybe they can grab a few decent prospects

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, the Tigers definitely need it as much as anyone......Catchers are hard to move, but they should be trying to sell high on Avila ASAP......Wilson is always a guy a team needs, and Kinsler would be a real good get for anyone......Think JV would have to be a salary dump, unless the Tigers picked up some money, maybe they can grab a few decent prospects

Agreed! I'd personally rather see them eat JV's salary and get decent prospects, rather than just a salary dump. This would still be helpful, since they'd shed at least some salary even if they continued to pay part of it and get much-needed good prospects. They're not competing anytime in the near future anyway... Heard any specific rumors about Avila, Martinez or Wilson?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! I'd personally rather see them eat JV's salary and get decent prospects, rather than just a salary dump. This would still be helpful, since they'd shed at least some salary even if they continued to pay part of it and get much-needed good prospects. They're not competing anytime in the near future anyway... Heard any specific rumors about Avila, Martinez or Wilson?

I havent, other than they are "available" mostly.....But i think things really start heating up after this weekend

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the price is right, Attanasio would pull the trigger

the difference now is that their farm system is loaded with talent so giving up a few of the prospects would not hurt them that bad
I don't believe the Brewers wanted a high priced veteran pitcher for the cost of giving away good young talent.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the Brewers wanted a high priced veteran pitcher for the cost of giving away good young talent.

no, but someone who has been rumored that they may want to target is Sonny Gray of Oakland

a decent arm with a friendly contract through 2020 I believe

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but someone who has been rumored that they may want to target is Sonny Gray of Oakland

a decent arm with a friendly contract through 2020 I believe
Isn't Sonny 36 years old? Buyer beware.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Cubs outfield is pretty crowded for the foreseeable future (Almora, Schwarber, Heyward, Happ).

I love how Cub fans continue to believe that Schwarber is a viable excuse for an outfielder.