• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim and Johnny Buss tried to strip Jeanie of her power

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I am pretty sure dad meant her to be in complete control. I have seen companies I've audited set up like that and expect they wanted to test her power to see what they could pull. But behind that beautiful a$$ is a really smart lady
thats just what i dont understand...why would they do this manuever if they knew they couldnt pull it off? i mean was he just an impulsive numbskull? wouldnt he have at least gone to his attorney and had him look at it and got some advice- i am sure he can pay for a good attorney.... i gotta think him and his brother just concocted this scheme, filed their motion, and then when Jeanie laid the hammer down, they just withdrew their motion...i mean, its comical. Its total amateur hour.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elder brothers were stopped, and from everything I read, it's somewhat of a foregone conclusion that they'll lose again on the next court hearing
What a close knit family. Thanksgiving dinner ought to be a hoot this year.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats just what i dont understand...why would they do this manuever if they knew they couldnt pull it off? i mean was he just an impulsive numbskull? wouldnt he have at least gone to his attorney and had him look at it and got some advice- i am sure he can pay for a good attorney.... i gotta think him and his brother just concocted this scheme, filed their motion, and then when Jeanie laid the hammer down, they just withdrew their motion...i mean, its comical. Its total amateur hour.
Why do your kids try to pull things over you as a parent? Same answer - they are testing you to see how far they can go.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over yet - they go back to court where you can be pretty sure they will try something

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only real questions are

Did Dr Jerry Buss say that Jeannie Buss should always be the controlling governor and on the board of trustees

or Did he make it binding - huge difference in him stating is wishes in comparison to making it binding

I am going to bet that Jeannie has complete power and it is binding - I never vote against what a woman can do:lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a lawyer yet as i have not taken the bar- but most of my work is done in estate planning and trusts- and even if they have the advantage as trusttes- if the trustee specifically names Jeanie as the controlling owner of hte lakers than thats pretty clear.

i have no clue why the buss brothers would file a motion before exploring that- they had to know they would lose--- they file it- and then withdraw it? that is so freaking stupid i cant even imagine. How can you possibly file that motion unless you know you are going to win?

Well then stop arguing with Heat fans and go take the damn bar!!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only real questions are

Did Dr Jerry Buss say that Jeannie Buss should always be the controlling governor and on the board of trustees

or Did he make it binding - huge difference in him stating is wishes in comparison to making it binding

I am going to bet that Jeannie has complete power and it is binding - I never vote against what a woman can do:lol:

This is what needs to be answered and hasn't been in the reports released so far. Like I said earlier, the one excerpt I saw seemed to address the desire for the trustees to vote her in upon his death but it makes no mention of it being a lifelong position. If its not a permanent type thing and its a situation where the Trust has to vote her in every so often, what's to stop them from voting someone else? It'd be kinda dumb to have a situation where there's a vote that can only be one way. There just isn't enough info out there for any of us to get a reasonable guess one way or the other

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what needs to be answered and hasn't been in the reports released so far. Like I said earlier, the one excerpt I saw seemed to address the desire for the trustees to vote her in upon his death but it makes no mention of it being a lifelong position. If its not a permanent type thing and its a situation where the Trust has to vote her in every so often, what's to stop them from voting someone else? It'd be kinda dumb to have a situation where there's a vote that can only be one way. There just isn't enough info out there for any of us to get a reasonable guess one way or the other
The news media makes it sound as if it was a desire, but Jeanie's actions indicate she has the power and the Buss men don't have the authority to take it away - but that being said - I have a feeling that there is a remedy to remove her in the event that it became unacceptable for her to represent the family - something so egregious that would take a complete vote of no confidence or going to court - Jim and Johnny caved pretty quick if you ask me, so I think they were testing her

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what it means as far as the trust, probate court, etc. but it looks like the NBA backs Jeanie on this.

From NBA spokeman Mike Bass: "Jeanie Buss is the sole Governor of the Los Angeles Lakers and under league rules, she has control over the team."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over yet - they go back to court where you can be pretty sure they will try something
well it looks like jeanie filed a motion for declaratory judgment so she doesnt have to deal with this again--- she basically just wants the court to confirm her in her rights. I am sure Jim will make his case at hte hearing- but the hearing is being done upon motion by Jeanie's attorney's.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it looks like jeanie filed a motion for declaratory judgment so she doesnt have to deal with this again--- she basically just wants the court to confirm her in her rights. I am sure Jim will make his case at hte hearing- but the hearing is being done upon motion by Jeanie's attorney's.
The only thing about those hearings, is that you never know when some lunatic judge will modify the controlling governor's rights. If this judge were to decide that Jeanie's rights shouldn't be or aren't absolute, it could spell the beginning of the end for her control.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT WILL HAPPEN THOUGH, and still believe that she has a permanent seat on the board of directors and that it is the remainder of the Buss children that have to be elected or re-elected once a year.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Phil, he went from a coaching genius to losing Jeannie and becoming an terrible gm.

Quite personally, I think that hot ass of Jeanie's would have been much better than New York - but Phil earned another 40 million since then and the greed for money will overcome most people. I might be one of them too:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what it means as far as the trust, probate court, etc. but it looks like the NBA backs Jeanie on this.

From NBA spokeman Mike Bass: "Jeanie Buss is the sole Governor of the Los Angeles Lakers and under league rules, she has control over the team."
If Jim and Johnny had been allowed to elect a new board of directors/trustees for the family that did not included Jeanie, then she would not have been allowed to remain the controlling governor and they would have been able to remove her from that position. That is why she took it to court and decided to settle it quickly and permanently