• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your 'rooting' for them has absolutely NO affect on what they do or where they go. therefore there is no upside.
as players from notre dame succeed it is a natural effect that the strength of the program will be positively affected. and this has NOTHING to do with hoping some kid makes $5M or $500M during his pro career.
all of you who hate my post are way too twisted up in fandom. in fact, i believe you are what's wrong with sports in general today. athletes are taking you for billions .... and you're rooting for them to do it! it'd be funny if it weren't so sad.
What the fuck are you talking about? I am not saying that my "rooting" for them affects any outcome. I am asking why do you care if others wish them success. Them succeeding is good for ND and its future. As a fan that's a good thing. Enjoy being a miserable fucking malcontent I guess.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck are you talking about? I am not saying that my "rooting" for them affects any outcome. I am asking why do you care if others wish them success. Them succeeding is good for ND and its future. As a fan that's a good thing. Enjoy being a miserable fucking malcontent I guess.
what the fuck are YOU talking about?? i never said you said that. i simply stated your rooting for them doesn't have an upside either (in answer to your suggesting it doesn't have a downside). if you're asking why i care .... other than in a general way ... i don't! you can wish whatever you want. and i'm not arguing that their success isn't good for notre dame. in fact .. nothing you've said speaks to anything i've tried to say. maybe you should think about what you read? but gee, i'm sure glad you got that last thing off your chest. enjoy whatever the hell you are too. ... i guess.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the fuck are YOU talking about?? i never said you said that. i simply stated your rooting for them doesn't have an upside either (in answer to your suggesting it doesn't have a downside). if you're asking why i care .... other than in a general way ... i don't! you can wish whatever you want. and i'm not arguing that their success isn't good for notre dame. in fact .. nothing you've said speaks to anything i've tried to say. maybe you should think about what you read? but gee, i'm sure glad you got that last thing off your chest. enjoy whatever the hell you are too. ... i guess.
Well you seem to be saying that people shouldn't root for ND alums to do well in the NFL because rooting for them has no impact, a point nobody made, btw. Which if can be boiled down to its essence, nobody should root for anything unless it affects the outcome (then why be a fan at all). Other than that I can't discern what it is you're bitching about now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you seem to be saying that people shouldn't root for ND alums to do well in the NFL because rooting for them has no impact, a point nobody made, btw. Which if can be boiled down to its essence, nobody should root for anything unless it affects the outcome (then why be a fan at all). Other than that I can't discern what it is you're bitching about now.
not my fault you can't comprehend english very well. i never "seemed to be saying" any such thing. you want to wish great riches for a player .. or anyone else for that matter you go right ahead. my whole point was ..... when did we start rooting for players' wealth? my comment was about the absurdity of hoping smith gets rich. never had anything to do with his performance or his success in the nfl. some were actually hoping he didn't go late in the first round just so he'd get his insurance money! maybe you don't see how ridiculous that is but i do. maybe it's my age. sports was never about money when i was a kid. maybe today that's actually more important than the games themselves? we should root for players we like to get super rich! in any event, i don't feel guilty for putting my 2 cents into the discussion.
sorry you can't grasp what i'm "bitching" about but it doesn't surprise me. you only see what you want to see .. but maybe if you tried reading my posts without your preconception of me you'd find i actually make sense most of the time.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not my fault you can't comprehend english very well. i never "seemed to be saying" any such thing. you want to wish great riches for a player .. or anyone else for that matter you go right ahead. my whole point was ..... when did we start rooting for players' wealth? my comment was about the absurdity of hoping smith gets rich. never had anything to do with his performance or his success in the nfl. some were actually hoping he didn't go late in the first round just so he'd get his insurance money! maybe you don't see how ridiculous that is but i do. maybe it's my age. sports was never about money when i was a kid. maybe today that's actually more important than the games themselves? we should root for players we like to get super rich! in any event, i don't feel guilty for putting my 2 cents into the discussion.
sorry you can't grasp what i'm "bitching" about but it doesn't surprise me. you only see what you want to see .. but maybe if you tried reading my posts without your preconception of me you'd find i actually make sense most of the time.
The players that "do well" tend to get paid more. Seems that correlation has passed you by. But no, I'm the one with comprehension problems. Lol. Perhaps it's a symptom of your advanced age. Then again, some of my other elders around here seem to get it so, maybe it's just you being a malcontent again.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players that "do well" tend to get paid more. Seems that correlation has passed you by. But no, I'm the one with comprehension problems. Lol. Perhaps it's a symptom of your advanced age. Then again, some of my other elders around here seem to get it so, maybe it's just you being a malcontent again.
no jj, that fact has not passed me by. and yes, you ARE the one with comprehension problems. apparently you have nothing more to say so you wrap it up trying to claim some kind of high ground here and throw in an "age' jab while you're at it.
too bad you've got the cart before the horse. you've got your correlation backwards. sounds it now like you're suggesting the more money they make the better players they'll be ... so it's fine to root for them to be richer and richer. a rather ignorant point of view imo.
and let me say this again so that maybe even YOU can understand and not twist it. i never wished anyone ill will. what i said was, once they're gone from notre dame it no longer matters to me what they do, unless they go to the bears (then i continue to root for them). is there something wrong with that? or am i bound by some fan thing to root for their continued success and riches?

you should have shut up after your initial response to my post. "to each his own" at least made sense ... tho apparently you don't really believe that.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no jj, that fact has not passed me by. and yes, you ARE the one with comprehension problems. apparently you have nothing more to say so you wrap it up trying to claim some kind of high ground here and throw in an "age' jab while you're at it.
too bad you've got the cart before the horse. you've got your correlation backwards. sounds it now like you're suggesting the more money they make the better players they'll be ... so it's fine to root for them to be richer and richer. a rather ignorant point of view imo.
and let me say this again so that maybe even YOU can understand and not twist it. i never wished anyone ill will. what i said was, once they're gone from notre dame it no longer matters to me what they do, unless they go to the bears (then i continue to root for them). is there something wrong with that? or am i bound by some fan thing to root for their continued success and riches?

you should have shut up after your initial response to my post. "to each his own" at least made sense ... tho apparently you don't really believe that.
I don't care what you do. But your critique of what others do makes no sense other than to be a miserable crank. And FTR you're the one who keeps throwing your age out there, as if it's relevant to the discussion, ergo it's fair game. I didn't bring your age up. You did. Own it.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what you do. But your critique of what others do makes no sense other than to be a miserable crank. And FTR you're the one who keeps throwing your age out there, as if it's relevant to the discussion, ergo it's fair game. I didn't bring your age up. You did. Own it.

that's just ignorant. someone else said they've been a fan for 50 years so i replied in kind. ftr you've been wrong on just about everything you've said here yet you keep coming back. you bored?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's just ignorant. someone else said they've been a fan for 50 years so i replied in kind. ftr you've been wrong on just about everything you've said here yet you keep coming back. you bored?
No this is fun. You're easily agitated (another symptom of advanced age). Keep fighting the good fight though.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? let me try to explain. think about it. forget football and "your team" for a moment. do you know this guy? do you have a stake in his future? do you think somebody had wished aaron hernandez got his millions? your values are all screwed up imo. being a fan is fine. rooting for your team is fine. but to go to the extreme of 'hoping" they get millions and millions of dollars from whatever team they end up on is fucked UP! and all just because they played for notre dame? sheeesh!

i am a fan of notre dame football ... once the players leave the team (unless they go to the chicago bears) i couldn't care much less about them. i can't for the life of me understand why you would.

I am a fan of the university of Notre Dame. That's why I support the football team, I don't consider myself a fan of the football team first (although I love the fact that there are fans out there that love the team more than the university). Once the players leave, I still support them. I am a Bears fan, but when they play the Vikings, I will cheer for the Vikings because Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Robert Blanton and John Sullivan play there. While I still like the Bears, I lost some interest when they dumped Clausen (even though I was never a huge Clausen fan). When I watch most football games, and someone asked who I wanted to win, the number of ND players on the team is always an important consideration. (I became a Sox fan when they got Samardjia, and for no other reason)

As jjc2009 stated on this thread, ND players doing well and making millions help getting top player to come to the school. I'm a fan of the Bears because I live in the Chicago area. Geography is my only connection to the team. I am a fan of ND because I spent a lot of time there, sent two kids there and met some of my best friends there. A much stronger connection to the Irish than the Bears.

In the same way, when I hear that one of my daughter's friends is making a huge salary, I'm very happy for her, not because I know her (I probably don't) but because it helps prove the value of an ND education.

The bottom line is that I would like to see every ND player be successful, as I would like to see all ND students do well. I don't know why this is an issue for you.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No this is fun. You're easily agitated (another symptom of advanced age). Keep fighting the good fight though.

i enjoy it too. you're easily manipulated (a symptom of low self esteem). hey! i can do that too! :)

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a fan of the university of Notre Dame. That's why I support the football team, I don't consider myself a fan of the football team first (although I love the fact that there are fans out there that love the team more than the university). Once the players leave, I still support them. I am a Bears fan, but when they play the Vikings, I will cheer for the Vikings because Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Robert Blanton and John Sullivan play there. While I still like the Bears, I lost some interest when they dumped Clausen (even though I was never a huge Clausen fan). When I watch most football games, and someone asked who I wanted to win, the number of ND players on the team is always an important consideration. (I became a Sox fan when they got Samardjia, and for no other reason)

As jjc2009 stated on this thread, ND players doing well and making millions help getting top player to come to the school. I'm a fan of the Bears because I live in the Chicago area. Geography is my only connection to the team. I am a fan of ND because I spent a lot of time there, sent two kids there and met some of my best friends there. A much stronger connection to the Irish than the Bears.

In the same way, when I hear that one of my daughter's friends is making a huge salary, I'm very happy for her, not because I know her (I probably don't) but because it helps prove the value of an ND education.

The bottom line is that I would like to see every ND player be successful, as I would like to see all ND students do well. I don't know why this is an issue for you.

it's NOT an issue. it was an observation concerning this whole thread. i understand and believe what you say here about it being more about the players individually for you, so i guess i'm not talking to or about you. i'd also guess your in the minority. for most fans it's about the team no matter who is on it, just as they won't care about all the players who MAY attend ND ... only the ones who do. i'm also doubting that most fans actually give a damn about what players make. they follow their teams and when their players are traded or whatever they move on and hope they get a good replacement.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's NOT an issue. it was an observation concerning this whole thread. i understand and believe what you say here about it being more about the players individually for you, so i guess i'm not talking to or about you. i'd also guess your in the minority. for most fans it's about the team no matter who is on it, just as they won't care about all the players who MAY attend ND ... only the ones who do. i'm also doubting that most fans actually give a damn about what players make. they follow their teams and when their players are traded or whatever they move on and hope they get a good replacement.

Even if it's just about the team, isn't it better for the ND football team if their players make a ton of money when they get to the NFL. If they don't pan out in the NFL due to injuries, wouldn't it be good if the player received a significant amount from insurance. ND could use that in the recruiting process to show how they look out for the long term interests of the player even after they leave the team. It seems that whether your primary interest is the team, the individual player or just the school, maximizing the player's (or student's) earnings would be a good thing.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it's just about the team, isn't it better for the ND football team if their players make a ton of money when they get to the NFL. If they don't pan out in the NFL due to injuries, wouldn't it be good if the player received a significant amount from insurance. ND could use that in the recruiting process to show how they look out for the long term interests of the player even after they leave the team. It seems that whether your primary interest is the team, the individual player or just the school, maximizing the player's (or student's) earnings would be a good thing.

no. there i disagree. earnings are so far out of wack now it's ridiculous. i imagine there are many who can't even go to games because of prices and all that money starts with how much a player can demand .. and they can demand it because they know a franchise will pay it ... and they'll pay it because they know that people with nothing better to do with their money will fork it over just to watch them and so on and so on. i do understand it's the free market system but frankly i think it blows big chunks! and now it's to the point where we (the poor saps paying thru the nose) are still hoping they get more and more. frankly, it's insane.
football is not important! that nd is caught up in the insanity is not an excuse. and it's a slippery slope. soon college players will be paid, and at some point so will high school kids. (i am not exaggerating either. already high schools recruit and have actually helped families move into their districts ... it happens here).
do you really think the priorities are straight here?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. there i disagree. earnings are so far out of wack now it's ridiculous. i imagine there are many who can't even go to games because of prices and all that money starts with how much a player can demand .. and they can demand it because they know a franchise will pay it ... and they'll pay it because they know that people with nothing better to do with their money will fork it over just to watch them and so on and so on. i do understand it's the free market system but frankly i think it blows big chunks! and now it's to the point where we (the poor saps paying thru the nose) are still hoping they get more and more. frankly, it's insane.
football is not important! that nd is caught up in the insanity is not an excuse. and it's a slippery slope. soon college players will be paid, and at some point so will high school kids. (i am not exaggerating either. already high schools recruit and have actually helped families move into their districts ... it happens here).
do you really think the priorities are straight here?

OK, so now this comes down to the fact that you don't like the free market system. That's a whole different issue. If you don't like the fact that football players make a lot of money, stop being a Football fan. ND being caught up in the insanity is why ND has an endowment in excess of $8 billion (top 20 in the country). You think a small catholic school in northern Indiana gets that if it wasn't for the football team. I don't want players getting paid, any more than the $62,000 they get to cover tuition and room and board, And I honestly don't think that they are headed in that direction. But if they do become employees, we will see how it affects the school.

With respect to the pros, I don't care if a top QB can earn $20 million per year. If the owner is worth $5 billion, and he wants to pay it, I don't care. Any more than I care that a CEO may make $50 million a year. And Honestly, my priorities have nothing to do with football. Football is a release from dealing with my real priorities.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a release from dealing with my real priorities.

ok, i get that. just not sure i understand how rooting for money for jaylon smith has anything to do with 'sports' and tension relief. i doubt some 17 year old kid is going to care what smith makes or doesn't make. they know that if they're really good they can make a fortune playing football once out of college no matter what team they choose to be on. i know you're trying to tie it all up in the grand overall welfare for notre dame players but i just can't make sense of that tbh. for me one has nothing at all to do with the other. they're people, they play, they move on. the constant for me is the team. i don't care where they come from or where they go. i don't have the time or the inclination to get more personally involved with the players.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, i get that. just not sure i understand how rooting for money for jaylon smith has anything to do with 'sports' and tension relief. i doubt some 17 year old kid is going to care what smith makes or doesn't make. they know that if they're really good they can make a fortune playing football once out of college no matter what team they choose to be on. i know you're trying to tie it all up in the grand overall welfare for notre dame players but i just can't make sense of that tbh. for me one has nothing at all to do with the other. they're people, they play, they move on. the constant for me is the team. i don't care where they come from or where they go. i don't have the time or the inclination to get more personally involved with the players.

Whether a 17 year old cares about how much money Smith is going to get probably depends on how good the ND recruiter is. Hopefully they can sell the success and the money that the ND players can make, and make those top players want to come to ND to have the same success. When those great high school players come to ND, we have the success that helps make ND football a great tension release.

It is obvious that you are correct when you say that you "can't make sense of it", and that for you "one has nothing at all to do with the other". Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to explain that to you (so I won't try). Let's just say that it is the difference between having a good team and having a great program.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A daughter that went to Notre Dame, you say?

I am currently single, just throwing that out there. . . .

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think that idseer is just some kind of act. Some of the shit he says, and then the arguments that follow. It's almost comical. I really do laugh under my breath when I read some of his posts.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, To the San Fran Guys. This is ND board. Let's keep all NFL hatred between our teams out of it (I know it can be tough at times)

Second. Huge Bad break for such a talented kid. I hope that he falls out of the 1st and goes to a team that can make him a starter and a star. That what he deserves.