• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has declared for the draft like most expected. He is also expected to make a full recovery but will probably drop in the draft due to injury.
I bet he hopes he drops to the 2nd rd so he collects that 5 mill insurance policy. I can see a team like the Pats or seattle or Arizona taking him late in the 1st.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone please enlighten me. once he's declared, does he have to go through with it? if not ... once he's drafted, does he have to go through with it?

i'm curious whether he can change his mind if he's drafted much lower than everyone expects? like 3rd or 4th round. can he say "screw that! i'll go play another year in college and see if i can raise my stock again"?
i'm guessing there no going back at some point. where IS that point?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone please enlighten me. once he's declared, does he have to go through with it? if not ... once he's drafted, does he have to go through with it?

i'm curious whether he can change his mind if he's drafted much lower than everyone expects? like 3rd or 4th round. can he say "screw that! i'll go play another year in college and see if i can raise my stock again"?
i'm guessing there no going back at some point. where IS that point?

No if he enters the draft he can't go back on it if he doesn't get drafted where he would like. I think he would have to pull his name out before the deadline in 3 or 4 days. However if he hired an agent already he would be in trouble with the NCAA so I doubt he'll be changing his mind and at this point I can't blame him. Why sit out not get paid and not be able to focus only on getting healthy like he would have to if he came back. If he doesn't get drafted in the 1st round he'll get 5 million in insurance money so he won't have any money issues.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets just hope he doesn't get drafted in the late 1st rd so he can collect the 5 mill. The guy at least deserves that.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he doesn't get drafted in the 1st he took out an insurance policy that pays him 5 million which would likely be more than his signing bonus as a late first round pick.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't get drafted in the 1st he took out an insurance policy that pays him 5 million which would likely be more than his signing bonus as a late first round pick.

no, i know that.
i mean why do you care? is anyone afraid the man will be broke otherwise?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, i know that.
i mean why do you care? is anyone afraid the man will be broke otherwise?

I don't care I suppose it would be better for him to not get taken in the first than late in the first, personally I want the 49ers to draft him early in the 2nd so I hope he does fall.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hope the 49ers can nab him. Bowman and Smith would be great together. How do you feel the hire of Chip Kelly Poewelch? I personally like it because I think Kelly might be the only coach that can get something out of Kap. Regardless, he is an upgrade at Coach

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hope the 49ers can nab him. Bowman and Smith would be great together. How do you feel the hire of Chip Kelly Poewelch? I personally like it because I think Kelly might be the only coach that can get something out of Kap. Regardless, he is an upgrade at Coach

He is an upgrade, I'm hoping he learned from his mistakes as far as how he handled players as the coach. I think for him he just needs to coach and let someone else be the GM that is what got him in trouble in Philly. I think he really could do a good to great job with the 9ers. I torn as to when to draft Smith because I really want him but with his injury I'm not sure you take him at 7 perhaps they could trade back a few spots pick up more picks and take him then because him and Bowman would be sick.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he was a great student athlete for ND and worked hard. Got a freak injury last game of the year and was suppose to be a Top 10 player. So as a human I hope it works out for him and he gets drafted 2nd rd so that he can at least collect the 5 mill. I hope not one of the late 1st rd teams select him and he gets screwed.

This is just my opinion. Im a J. Smith fan and I would like to see the silver lining in this.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a fan of it. Big up grade for 49ers. The best part is he wont have any power like he had with the Eagles. Chip is a good coach just a bad GM.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he was a great student athlete for ND and worked hard. Got a freak injury last game of the year and was suppose to be a Top 10 player. So as a human I hope it works out for him and he gets drafted 2nd rd so that he can at least collect the 5 mill. I hope not one of the late 1st rd teams select him and he gets screwed.

This is just my opinion. Im a J. Smith fan and I would like to see the silver lining in this.

I agree, J. smith was a great player for ND. I hope and expect that he will make a full recovery, but there are no guarantees. It's possible that he never recovers the way we would all like to see. So since that scenario still exists, I think it's fair to hope that he gets drafted in a way that will maximize the money he would earn from playing football.

While I understand the logic in hoping he goes late in the first round to ensure he plays on a good team, I'm not sure why any ND fan would question the desire to see an ND player maximize his earning potential.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, J. smith was a great player for ND. I hope and expect that he will make a full recovery, but there are no guarantees. It's possible that he never recovers the way we would all like to see. So since that scenario still exists, I think it's fair to hope that he gets drafted in a way that will maximize the money he would earn from playing football.

While I understand the logic in hoping he goes late in the first round to ensure he plays on a good team, I'm not sure why any ND fan would question the desire to see an ND player maximize his earning potential.

really? let me try to explain. think about it. forget football and "your team" for a moment. do you know this guy? do you have a stake in his future? do you think somebody had wished aaron hernandez got his millions? your values are all screwed up imo. being a fan is fine. rooting for your team is fine. but to go to the extreme of 'hoping" they get millions and millions of dollars from whatever team they end up on is fucked UP! and all just because they played for notre dame? sheeesh!

i am a fan of notre dame football ... once the players leave the team (unless they go to the chicago bears) i couldn't care much less about them. i can't for the life of me understand why you would.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My loyalties run deeper in the fact that indeed I hope for the Notre Dame players to succeed. That's just me but that's how I roll. I wish the best for Jaylon Smith and for all the Notre Dame players. Someone is going to make millions, why not them. After all I've only rooted for them about a half a century. I couldn't give a rat's ass what some University of Miami fan rooted for or roots for. To this day I still root for the vast majority of the Notre Dame grads playing in the NFL right now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? let me try to explain. think about it. forget football and "your team" for a moment. do you know this guy? do you have a stake in his future? do you think somebody had wished aaron hernandez got his millions? your values are all screwed up imo. being a fan is fine. rooting for your team is fine. but to go to the extreme of 'hoping" they get millions and millions of dollars from whatever team they end up on is fucked UP! and all just because they played for notre dame? sheeesh!

i am a fan of notre dame football ... once the players leave the team (unless they go to the chicago bears) i couldn't care much less about them. i can't for the life of me understand why you would.
Im sorry but this is one of the worst posts in the history of this board. Just stop man. It looks bad.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To each his own, but I want our players to succeed at the next level. It bolsters the strength of the program, and top recruits will view ND as a viable path to the NFL, with one hell of a backup plan with an ND degree. There's no downside to have a rooting interest in their future.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own, but I want our players to succeed at the next level. It bolsters the strength of the program, and top recruits will view ND as a viable path to the NFL, with one hell of a backup plan with an ND degree. There's no downside to have a rooting interest in their future.
your 'rooting' for them has absolutely NO affect on what they do or where they go. therefore there is no upside.
as players from notre dame succeed it is a natural effect that the strength of the program will be positively affected. and this has NOTHING to do with hoping some kid makes $5M or $500M during his pro career.
all of you who hate my post are way too twisted up in fandom. in fact, i believe you are what's wrong with sports in general today. athletes are taking you for billions .... and you're rooting for them to do it! it'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My loyalties run deeper in the fact that indeed I hope for the Notre Dame players to succeed. That's just me but that's how I roll. I wish the best for Jaylon Smith and for all the Notre Dame players. Someone is going to make millions, why not them. After all I've only rooted for them about a half a century. I couldn't give a rat's ass what some University of Miami fan rooted for or roots for. To this day I still root for the vast majority of the Notre Dame grads playing in the NFL right now.

why not just wish for the best for all players? everywhere? what does them happening to choose ND have to do with anything? i can honestly say i have rooted for nd longer than you have, but i remain aware that these aren't local kids. we don't know them. they vary in moral respect about the same as any other group .. maybe worse because they're mostly spoiled. who are fans to decide what they deserve?
again, i root for the team. the kids come and go.