• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9ers vs. Cowboys... the (regular season) rubber match

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we are, week 5.... the 9ers square off against the Cowboys at home. I personally think there's way more pressure on the Cowboys to win versus the 9ers. They are preparing like it's a playoff game - when you look at their schedule for the rest of the year, it may just as well be. The 9ers, riding high on a 4-game win streak to start the season, have yet to score less than 30pts in a game. The Cowboys have been dominant on Defense and Special Teams thus far, but haven't had to showcase what Dak, Pollard and Cee Dee can bring to the table. Should be an epic game! The winner will probably be atop the power rankings for every pundit next week.

My take: The 9ers have put a lot on film these last several weeks... the one main-stay has been a healthy dose of CMC to set everything else up. I don't expect that to change. I can see them running at the Cowboy's strength on the d-line to soften things up. I hope they mix in more than just CMC, but either way, I think they are gonna run a lot to start the game. When it comes to the passing game, I wouldn't be surprised if Kittle is the focus for the game-plan. If they are successful in bringing the LBs and Safeties close to the line in anticipation of the run, that should open up the middle of the field. We haven't leveraged Kittle much this year, so why not feed him the ball in that situation? I'm guessing that Deebo and Aiyuk will get a lot of attention given history and the first few weeks of results. For the Cowboys, I'm almost thinking that McCarthy is gonna go against tendencies and ask Dak to move around in the pocket and make plays with his feet. He hasn't done that much since the injury, but that is the 9ers achilles heel. If they can get Cee Dee (or others) matched up on Ambry and create extra time for Dak, that's their best chance. I don't see Pollard having much luck running the ball (unless the Cowboys deploys some exotic formations that we haven't see yet this season), but he will have some opptys as an outlet and with designed plays.

On paper, the 9ers should win this game. However, I think it's more meaningful for the Cowboys, so they may come out with more intensity. Let's be honest, if Dallas loses this game, it's as big a mental blow that a team can have this early in the season. Not so much for the 9ers, I think. Would be great to completely deflate Dallas before we even get to 8 games on the year, lol. This will definitely be closer than previous games this season, but I still like the 9ers 27-13.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dallas has the edge on Defense. Particularly in the pass rush. The Niners Oline must have one of their best games this season for the Niners to win. And our coaches will have to be mindful enough to protect Purdy and give McKivitz a lot of help on the day--let's hope Shanny learned from last year's games against Dallas and Philly. I expect Dan Quinn to slow down the Niner offense, put 8 in the box to stop the run and dare the Niner passing offense to play against the ferocious pass rush and the man coverage behind it.

Can the Niner offense consistently move the ball against Dallas? The offense will have to run a lot of misdirection and mix up the pass and the run to keep the Dallas defense off balance and to slow down that pass rush. Arizona beat Dallas by running the ball and not turning the ball over, and that is what the Niners offense has been all season.

Making Dallas have slow, methodical drives isn't really what Dak does well, so I expect Dallas to run the ball a lot, but that goes right at what the Niners do well. I still expect McCarthy to go to the ground anyway. Then again, the weakness of the Niners defense is the secondary, particularly Thomas, so we could see Dallas go air raid and try to hit big plays down the field, where we've seen some of our CBs get beat and give up DPI flags.

The Niners are by far the best offense Dallas has played all season. And the Dallas defense is the best defense the Niners have seen all season by far. So this one will be interesting and I expect a relatively low scoring game.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dallas has the edge on Defense. Particularly in the pass rush. The Niners Oline must have one of their best games this season for the Niners to win. And our coaches will have to be mindful enough to protect Purdy and give McKivitz a lot of help on the day--let's hope Shanny learned from last year's games against Dallas and Philly. I expect Dan Quinn to slow down the Niner offense, put 8 in the box to stop the run and dare the Niner passing offense to play against the ferocious pass rush and the man coverage behind it.

Can the Niner offense consistently move the ball against Dallas? The offense will have to run a lot of misdirection and mix up the pass and the run to keep the Dallas defense off balance and to slow down that pass rush. Arizona beat Dallas by running the ball and not turning the ball over, and that is what the Niners offense has been all season.

Making Dallas have slow, methodical drives isn't really what Dak does well, so I expect Dallas to run the ball a lot, but that goes right at what the Niners do well. I still expect McCarthy to go to the ground anyway. Then again, the weakness of the Niners defense is the secondary, particularly Thomas, so we could see Dallas go air raid and try to hit big plays down the field, where we've seen some of our CBs get beat and give up DPI flags.

The Niners are by far the best offense Dallas has played all season. And the Dallas defense is the best defense the Niners have seen all season by far. So this one will be interesting and I expect a relatively low scoring game.
Agreed. Something like 20-17.
The thing I think gives Dallas an edge compared to last year is that they aren't turning the ball over nearly like last year.
Should be a great game

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't mean to snake you starting the weekly thread @Niner Outlaw... I'm just giddy about this game, lol

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think controlling Parsons is a key for us, I believe how we handle Lawrence on the DL will determine the rate of success for the Niners. Parsons has had minimal impact in our previous two games with them. If we can control the interior, our running game can flourish. I expect some Mason runs early to help try to soften the interior, then more outside zone runs with CMC as the game progresses. DAL doesn't have an answer for Kittle so i expect Kittle to be huge both in the run and passing game. Purdy's short pass and check down game has been tight all year so I anticipate more of the same with SF daring DAL DBs to tackle near the LOS and Kittle to open up the middle of the field if/when they do.

Defensively, I am hoping to see more 5 man fronts and allow Kinlaw, Hargrave, AA, Bosa, Drake/Clelin to work. Bc Dak has some mobility and Warner probably going to cover Pollard, I don't anticipate seeing this often but I have had fun watching it the few times the Niners have unleashed it.

30-24 Niners.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think controlling Parsons is a key for us, I believe how we handle Lawrence on the DL will determine the rate of success for the Niners. Parsons has had minimal impact in our previous two games with them. If we can control the interior, our running game can flourish. I expect some Mason runs early to help try to soften the interior, then more outside zone runs with CMC as the game progresses. DAL doesn't have an answer for Kittle so i expect Kittle to be huge both in the run and passing game. Purdy's short pass and check down game has been tight all year so I anticipate more of the same with SF daring DAL DBs to tackle near the LOS and Kittle to open up the middle of the field if/when they do.

Defensively, I am hoping to see more 5 man fronts and allow Kinlaw, Hargrave, AA, Bosa, Drake/Clelin to work. Bc Dak has some mobility and Warner probably going to cover Pollard, I don't anticipate seeing this often but I have had fun watching it the few times the Niners have unleashed it.

30-24 Niners.
Very good point. In the playoff game, the Oline had no answer for Lawrence. He was a one-man wrecking crew.

This is my comment on him from the playoff game:
"--The Oline just about could not block D.Lawrence. He had 4 solo tackles, a sack, 2 QB hits, and 2 TFL and the guy blew up 2 other plays."

We'll have to do a much better job this time if we want to have a chance.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but I think Dallas has the edge on Defense and the Oline, and because of that, I think Dallas pulls out a close win here.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but I think Dallas has the edge on Defense and the Oline, and because of that, I think Dallas pulls out a close win here.
That DAL defense couldn't stop the ARZ running game...I don't give them the edge defensively.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That DAL defense couldn't stop the ARZ running game...I don't give them the edge defensively.
That's a valid point b/c the Niner running game is very good, but I think Dallas overlooked Arizona. They are not overlooking the Niners.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a valid point b/c the Niner running game is very good, but I think Dallas overlooked Arizona. They are not overlooking the Niners.
Dallas absolutely overlooked Arizona. We sat three of our starting OL against them in spite of two of them being healthy enough to play. We got cocky and knocked around. Don't expect that type of sloppiness against the team that beat us two years in a row.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas absolutely overlooked Arizona. We sat three of our starting OL against them in spite of two of them being healthy enough to play. We got cocky and knocked around. Don't expect that type of sloppiness against the team that beat us two years in a row.
Well, based on that admission, give us the coaching edge as well
Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not be overlooking the Niners but the Niners defense hasn't overlooked anyone and are just as stout, if not more. The Niners defense has made adjustments. DAL could not/would not make adjustments vs. ARZ. Advantage SF IMO.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not be overlooking the Niners but the Niners defense hasn't overlooked anyone and are just as stout, if not more. The Niners defense has made adjustments. DAL could not/would not make adjustments vs. ARZ. Advantage SF IMO.
Dallas made adjustments defensively against you guys last year in the playoffs. You guys scored a grand total of 19 points, and averaged 3.5 yards a carry. If Dak doesn't throw 2 INTs and Pollard doesn't break his leg, you guys never even make it to Philly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the 49ers don't turn it over, they'll win. There might be a few bad penalties and maybe a bad zebra call, but still think we win in the absence of turnovers.

Agree with the above opinions, we'll lean to the run starting off this game. We need to test Parsons and Lawrence defending our run game. Our passing game will lean to over the middle routes, shorter routes to Kittle vice medium length dig routes. Jennings will be back to his "3rd and Jauan'.

We also don't want Purdy to take hits, so starting off with shorter routes makes sense.

No doubt their pass rush will affect our offense but IF our run game is effective, keep leaning on it. Makes for a boring and closer game, but we're facing the #1 D and must adjust.