• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Goff on the Dan Patrick show

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I will never buy they gave up 6 top draft picks for a guy that they thought wouldn't beat out Keenum and to ride the bench the first year.
Yes you are absolutely right coug, Fisher NEVER drafted projects he fell in love with high in the first round. :rolleyes2:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you are absolutely right coug, Fisher NEVER drafted projects he fell in love with high in the first round. :rolleyes2:

That's quite a reach. If the Rams were picking at 1 I could maybe see that. But come on they gave up 6 picks. they had to think he was going to be an impact player from the start. They never said he will need time or he was a project when they drafted him. If they did what do you think the fan and media reaction would've been.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's quite a reach. If the Rams were picking at 1 I could maybe see that. But come on they gave up 6 picks. they had to think he was going to be an impact player from the start. They never said he will need time or he was a project when they drafted him. If they did what do you think the fan and media reaction would've been.
All they had to think was that he would be a Franchise QB. Your statement is true about most other positions in regards to drafting or trading up for an impact player from the start, but a lot of Franchise QB sat on the pine to start their careers.

This has been pointed out just recently here on the Rams boards. (Forget the thread)

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Mannion when he went in for Goff, that guy can't even run to the bathroom.:nono:

Other than the pick 6, I thought he looked better than Goff did, he actually made some nice throws? I didn't expect much sitting on the bench for 2 years and never even getting a chance?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All they had to think was that he would be a Franchise QB. Your statement is true about most other positions in regards to drafting or trading up for an impact player from the start, but a lot of Franchise QB sat on the pine to start their careers.

This has been pointed out just recently here on the Rams boards. (Forget the thread)

You are correct, Goff will be given every chance to win or lose this job, hopefully win, and it only makes sense to at least give him that opportunity, you can't do a Mannion with him. To not even use Mannion is telling us you threw that pick away?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could go along with that if we would have had a decent starter already in place and Goff would eventually replace him. Farve, Rodgers situation. But I'm pretty sure no franchise has ever given up picks to move up to have that guy sit behind a career back up QB.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To not even use Mannion is telling us you threw that pick away?
Well, the QB spot is a volatile one. Saying it helps with depth is not the same with other positions.

Let's face it, when was the last year the Rams started the same QB for an entire season?

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Smed that Mannion's throws might have be better but look unless you have the Cowboy's line in front of him, he is a Bulger back there.:eek: Goff showed he could roll out and escape a rush at times.:bolt: He will improve his talent with McVay and Olsen and will (with fingers :hope:crossed) work out well at some point.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Smed that Mannion's throws might have be better but look unless you have the Cowboy's line in front of him, he is a Bulger back there.:eek: Goff showed he could roll out and escape a rush at times.:bolt: He will improve his talent with McVay and Olsen and will (with fingers :hope:crossed) work out well at some point.

I also saw Goff throw many passes into the ground on sideline throws, they looked horrible. I really hope he succeeds, we gave up a butt load for him, which I did not agree with! Obviously we have to stick with him, I just feel if he wasn't really ready like they say, Mannion should have gotten more paying time! I like Mannions size more than Goffs, like some just said, Goff needs to put on some weight, preferably muscle!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the QB spot is a volatile one. Saying it helps with depth is not the same with other positions.

Let's face it, when was the last year the Rams started the same QB for an entire season?

I know, but the guy came out of the PAC with all the records, he came from the same style offense that the Rams run, you took him with a 3rd round pick because you saw something in him. We had plenty of games in the past 2 years where the game was over early, why not see what you ave in Mannion, maybe he would have looked good and we dont have to make the Goff move and we are much further ahead then we are now?
You can always find a journeyman backup and draft other needs, to me that was just throwing that pick away?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I will never buy they gave up 6 top draft picks for a guy that they thought wouldn't beat out Keenum and to ride the bench the first year. Who does that? What happened was he wasn't smart enough to call the plays in the huddle. Did they plan on that too ?

Most rookie QBs perform horribly, even the all-time greats. Marino is the notable exception. Add in the huge disadvantage that modern day QBs have in most cases (coming from spread offenses), and these guys are set up to fail by their schools. Then add in Fisher's insistence to force a square peg into a round hole (spread QB into an ultra-conservative run-based offense). A square peg into a round hole does one of two things; it breaks the corners of the larger square peg off (damages the offense) or it leaves large gaps between the larger circle and smaller peg (big gaps in offensive performance).

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus H Christ....Ripping into Goff(a rookie) after having quite possibly the worst offensive coaching staff in NFL history, really???? The hell did some of you expect?

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As disappointed in Goff's play as I was I'm still cutting a huge slice of slack pie. But I would short leash him next season though.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that gets me is the fact they praised him up and down for being a smart guy.

They were obviously blowing sunshine because he is not smart if you can't pick up on a crappy offensive playbook.

Manning was on the field calling his own plays his rookie season. That's the kind of guy you give up 6 picks for, not some guy you have to "sell" to your fans only for them to find out you were lying the whole time.

Now, if the report is true and Snisher didn't want to do the trade and draft him, then obviously they are in a position where they have to sell him.

But, if they really wanted that trade cause Goff was as good as they claimed, he should've been starting day 1 regardless and showing more on the field than he did.

I just don't think the guy is as smart as they claimed and I'm really hoping he doesn't end up as a J. Russell 2.0

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have good reason to worry about the kid....I keep watching his highlights from Cal thinking where was that guy?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that gets me is the fact they praised him up and down for being a smart guy.

They were obviously blowing sunshine because he is not smart if you can't pick up on a crappy offensive playbook.

Manning was on the field calling his own plays his rookie season. That's the kind of guy you give up 6 picks for, not some guy you have to "sell" to your fans only for them to find out you were lying the whole time.

Now, if the report is true and Snisher didn't want to do the trade and draft him, then obviously they are in a position where they have to sell him.

But, if they really wanted that trade cause Goff was as good as they claimed, he should've been starting day 1 regardless and showing more on the field than he did.

I just don't think the guy is as smart as they claimed and I'm really hoping he doesn't end up as a J. Russell 2.0

Did you see what it took to call a simple play in Hard Knocks? Boras was an idiot...A simple playcall took like 15 words to call...it was unnecessarily complicated. A guy who is trying TOO hard to do a job that's over their head... Goff had a TON to get used to this year, more than most coming into the NFL, he was also 21 years old....Not sure about you guys, but I wouldn't have been able to run an NFL team at 21...With a REAL mentor/coach he'll likely be just fine...

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see what it took to call a simple play in Hard Knocks? Boras was an idiot...A simple playcall took like 15 words to call...it was unnecessarily complicated. A guy who is trying TOO hard to do a job that's over their head... Goff had a TON to get used to this year, more than most coming into the NFL, he was also 21 years old....Not sure about you guys, but I wouldn't have been able to run an NFL team at 21...With a REAL mentor/coach he'll likely be just fine...

All NFL teams have complicated play calls.

They do that to keep teams from figuring out what they are running.

There were way too many question marks about Goff for them to be sold on him as the #1 QB.

How would he transition from the spread to a pro style offense? How would he handle transitioning to playing under center? Are his hands big enough to hold onto the ball when getting sacked ( aka Rodgers )?

Way too many question marks to sell the farm to move up and take him. Especially when Prescott could've been had with any of their original top 4 picks.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All NFL teams have complicated play calls.

They do that to keep teams from figuring out what they are running.

There were way too many question marks about Goff for them to be sold on him as the #1 QB.

How would he transition from the spread to a pro style offense? How would he handle transitioning to playing under center? Are his hands big enough to hold onto the ball when getting sacked ( aka Rodgers )?

Way too many question marks to sell the farm to move up and take him. Especially when Prescott could've been had with any of their original top 4 picks.

No they don't...Keenum, a vet of many years now struggled to get the play calls down and yet you all expect a rookie with ZERO playcalling experience to come in and be Joe Montana??? Get real...again, we had perhaps the WORST offensive coaches in NFL history, but you all expected a rookie (Goff) to flourish without a running game and without an o-line? Yeah sure...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think there was anything special about Goff or any of the top rated QBs coming out last year. But we won't know what we really have until next year. That's when you will see either a much improved 2nd year QB or a deer in headlights.

He's gonna need some help and the Rams are going to have to hit on ALL free agents and draft picks on the offensive side of the ball to make it happen next year

Last edited:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, someone posted a Kurt Warner playbook on here a few days ago, I'd like someone to find me where simple play calls were 10 to 15 words long...Martz ran one of the most complicated offenses out there and yet somehow his play calls were shorter? Again, we had a SHIT coach who made things more complicated to make it seem like he was so smart and "with it"...He wasn't...