• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its time for Chicago to pull the plug

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell the truth
is Fields your fantasy QB?

just seems unusual amount of. interest in Fields today.

i feel ya. I have Fields on one of my teams

No, I have Hurts. I was just commenting on the thread started by someone else. QB's are always going to be talked about more, especially when they aren't living up to their draft status. I thought he would take a leap before the year, but that clearly hasn't happened.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hot take here

That they might be the worst team in the league or Maye being a better prospect? I think it's pretty consensus that Maye is a better prospect by most who do this for a living. But, we won't know for a couple years anyway.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand this notion. However, he has played two games now into year 3. In Allen's first two games of his year 3, he had over 800 yards of total offense, 7 TD's and 0 INT's on 70% completion. I think if Fields would have started that way this year, there wouldn't be these questions.
Personally, I think one has to consider malpractice in this kid’s development. There are varying opinions about Fields, but I think one place everyone is on the same page is the agreement that when you draft Fields you are drafting a developmental QB. I think the kid still has a a chance to be pretty good. I’m walking back my belief that he could be a top 5-10 QB in the league. I think the chance of him being that is gone. If he had that, he would have demonstrated greater progress than he’s shown. I think he can be a competent starter though that if you can build around him, he can take a team to the playoffs with “good enough” QB play.

I’m saying, give yourself his whole rookie contract years to see if he can develop. Then make your decision. I will admit that there’s a chance that the timetable needs to be sped up. Bears have draft capital with two picks likely to be top 10 to make a move up for a QB that has top 5 in the league potential in 2024.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again looking over video it's not just the OL its like half the time the guys just don't execute simple shit. Like Claypool on his screen blocks. if you're running screens 20 percent of the time you damn better block your man.

But even more egregious is only running the ball 11 times with your backs for.an average 6 a carry and running virtually zero play action and not a single designed run of any effect for Justin.

Justin off PA did well last year so you just basically scrap it?

The Colts are building their offense around AR. But his passing stats thus far are hardly anything amazing. But his impact is felt because the offense is tailored to him. The Bears are forcing a square peg in a round hole.
Great points. This is what I referenced when I talked about malpractice in my post.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many guys were given a 4th year if they've done nothing in the first 3 years though? I don't think Getsy is a bad OC. Fields has missed a lot of plays, and that was just in the game yesterday. Also, given who's coming into the league, the Bears would be dumb to not take a QB in 2024 if he keeps playing like this.

Fields will not be starting for us in 24......
Its not 100% his fault,oline and playcalling something to do with that too......
Hell we may have another headcoach too.....

But one thing is for certain,we will have two top 5 picks next season......
Williams or Maye will be at the helm......

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be in a position to take Williams. But I think Maye is an overall better prospect, so I would take him and start over. And yes the Oline isn't great, but Fields hasn't gotten better at accuracy or getting rid of the ball on time. Outside of running the ball, Fields has shown little as a passer in his career.
Yeah we will see. I think Zona is the clear worst team in the NFL and Houston isn't far behind. Chicago can definitely get a top 3-5 pick though. Yeah if he continues to not improve then Maye is definitely an upgrade

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields will not be starting for us in 24......
Its not 100% his fault,oline and playcalling something to do with that too......
Hell we may have another headcoach too.....

But one thing is for certain,we will have two top 5 picks next season......
Williams or Maye will be at the helm......
Arizona and Chicago could both end up with TWO top 5 picks.

I think Carolina, Houston, Arizona and Chicago might be the 4 worst teams in the league. Pretty crazy

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think one has to consider malpractice in this kid’s development. There are varying opinions about Fields, but I think one place everyone is on the same page is the agreement that when you draft Fields you are drafting a developmental QB. I think the kid still has a a chance to be pretty good. I’m walking back my belief that he could be a top 5-10 QB in the league. I think the chance of him being that is gone. If he had that, he would have demonstrated greater progress than he’s shown. I think he can be a competent starter though that if you can build around him, he can take a team to the playoffs with “good enough” QB play.

I’m saying, give yourself his whole rookie contract years to see if he can develop. Then make your decision. I will admit that there’s a chance that the timetable needs to be sped up. Bears have draft capital with two picks likely to be top 10 to make a move up for a QB that has top 5 in the league potential in 2024.

If he progresses like he did at the end of last year towards the end of the year, I'd say sure give him a 4th year, but when the draft class is as loaded as it's ever been in 2024, you have to take one of those guys IMO. I think there is still some potential, given his athleticism, but man he just hasn't progressed in accuracy the way you'd hope him too.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we will see. I think Zona is the clear worst team in the NFL and Houston isn't far behind. Chicago can definitely get a top 3-5 pick though. Yeah if he continues to not improve then Maye is definitely an upgrade

Yeah, AZ is definitely the worst team IMO. Houston probably is worse too, and I would guess the Cards might take a QB but who knows? It'll be interesting to see what happens to teams like Tennessee, Denver and LAR, and if they are in position to take a QB.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, AZ is definitely the worst team IMO. Houston probably is worse too, and I would guess the Cards might take a QB but who knows? It'll be interesting to see what happens to teams like Tennessee, Denver and LAR, and if they are in position to take a QB.
Yeah all those teams you listed are capable of being competitive.

Tennessee finds ways to compete.
LAR aren't as bad as people originally thought and they get Kupp back Week 5.
Denver has too much invested in Wilson and no way out. Plus they gave up 3 picks for Payton.

We could see Chicago (if Fields has a bad year) and Zona (Kyler on PUP and the relationship broken) competing to draft Caleb and the other one will get a nice consolation prize with Maye possibly. Both teams could end up having two top picks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we will see. I think Zona is the clear worst team in the NFL and Houston isn't far behind. Chicago can definitely get a top 3-5 pick though.
Those definitely look like the bottom 3 rosters right now imo. I think with Houston and Arizona you're seeing some decent QB play and they're still struggling so I suspect they'll be bottom 2.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Fields has been kinda bad so far this season but the Bears also have some real issues, too. There is a really, really good chance Fields will never be a top 10 QB but those guys dont exactly grow on trees.
This might be more of the problem. Fields is definitely a talented guy but there are only so many franchise quarterbacks in existence. For about 2/3rds of the teams in the league, they have to make do with a serviceable guy who does just enough to not lose the game every week.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he progresses like he did at the end of last year towards the end of the year, I'd say sure give him a 4th year, but when the draft class is as loaded as it's ever been in 2024, you have to take one of those guys IMO. I think there is still some potential, given his athleticism, but man he just hasn't progressed in accuracy the way you'd hope him too.
I’d love for it to seemingly not work out and then the Eagles offer like a 4th or 5th after the Bears draft the next guy. Would love to see him get developed as a back up to Hurts. With QBs that have these games you need a competent back up that can run an offense uniquely catered to a QB that can put pressure on the defense with his legs and arms. You know that QB is going to miss 2-3 games even in a good year. You know they’ll get nicked up and you want to err on the side of caution.

Sorry to everybody who gets pissed off when I try and make it about the Birds. You’re not wrong. It just took me a few posts to work up to it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting though

There are amazingly still a few peeps out there who think Fields is good

So do you try to take advantage of that by trading him now? If you go 4-13 again this year with him putting up a 80 QB rating again its going to be tough for even the most fervent Fields supporters to continue believing in him so you may totally lose ANY real possible comp for him
These are tv people, not football people.

Rush's quote about mcnabb applies here. Amazing it can still be true 20 years later.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be more of the problem. Fields is definitely a talented guy but there are only so many franchise quarterbacks in existence. For about 2/3rds of the teams in the league, they have to make do with a serviceable guy who does just enough to not lose the game every week.
A lot of these serviceable guys have been studs at some point in college or the pros, too, so its a fine line. Sam Howell is doing well in Washington. Went in the 5th round. I remember in college people thought he might have been a stud QB prospect. Howell does have good WRs, though. He is operating EBs offense well but I think the highlights I saw...80% were slants down the middle where WRs have to be pretty brave and screen passes which require an offensive line and skill players all on the same page. Howell gets the ball out quickly and the whole thing equates to winning football games.

I dont think there is an organic path for Fields to develop the same way. Fields is a great athlete with a cannon. He has to process. If he starts reading defenses at a high level, he'll be good. If not, he is a backup. There might be a win/win situation with Fields leaving the team and finding a better spot for his fit.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of players are going to fail for the misfortune of being on the Bears rather than on organization that has it together with a good front office and a coaching staff that knows how to develop players while also having some great schemes to keep things a float until the pool of players learns.