• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm sorry B1G fans, I'm not convinced the conference is the best

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all just agree that the one thing we know is that we don't know yet.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry; I am no longer a believer in Big ten basketball. Both the ACC and the Big12 are better. Ohio State at Wisconsin was an example of just how bad supposedly good Big10 teams play.

Those are bad examples because those two teams started their spiral in Conference play..

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think it's great for CBB in general. It's wide open.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is looking through extremes... most logical people aren't implying your conference "stinks" as you put it.

But on the flip side, I think what people are saying is enough with the B1G is the best.

Right now, I think the BigXII and the ACC could be as good... we don't know yet.

So nobody is saying the B1G is bad... but the initial thoughts about the B1G being the strongest conference by far are starting to shift after watching Pitt, Duke Virginia, Kansas, etc..

I think there are a number of teams that could got the distance this year.

Thats fair. As has been pointed out no b10 basketball fan actually thought the league would be better this year than it was last year with all the talent the league lost. People started saying it was because of the great starts,by msu, iowa, wisky, osu and illinois. Now that 3 of those teams are struggling in conference the perception has changed. Im simply saying dont judge a league because teams the media propped up are now losing in league. Everyone knew illinois sucked and that osu couldnt score so the only actual surprise is sconnir but michigan has more,than made up for the badgers

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen I get the theory on the b10 not bring as good as we thought but lets think about WHY people are saying that. Mostly its because of the drop off of wisky and osu right? Maybe illinois too. But how do you take 3 teams that eent 42-1 ooc and consider their league bad because those teams are losing IN conference?? Im sorry that makes zero sense. Maybe you are turned off by msu's recent struggles but the spartans are 19-3 and havent had a full roster most of the year. I get the sentiment, hell I started a thread about it earlier but teams dominating ooc then losing in league doesnt mean your league stinks. Just saying

Well, if people are trying to suggest that the B1G is bad, that's just silly. If they're trying to suggest the conference is weak because Wisky lost to OSu, that's kinda dumb.

The problem arises though when you start seeing teams like Wisky losing on their home floor. And losing to bad teams on their home floor.

I think a few B1G teams racked up gawdy record against weak competition that resulted in inflated rankings/perceptions. It's one thing when the top of the conference is beating each other up. That's to be expected. But OSU and Wisky have lost some head scratchers. Sometimes the easiest conclusion to draw is they were overrated to begin with. I still think the B1G is a tough conference, just not as good at the top as I thought earlier in the season.

I'm definitely not giving up on MSU. When they're healthy they'll be a contender for sure.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno Wisky had about as good as a resume you could have OOC.. Same with Iowa.. OSU probably was overrated though.. But I still stand by the fact that teams like Indiana and Purdue need to be better.. Especially the former..

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is starting to sound oddly familiar.... SEC football anyone?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry; I am no longer a believer in Big ten basketball. Both the ACC and the Big12 are better. Ohio State at Wisconsin was an example of just how bad supposedly good Big10 teams play.

Neither one of these teams is playing well right now. To say either one is playing top 25 ball right now is a stretch. It's the lower half of the BIG that has shocked everyone. Nebraska and PSU ended up being way better than expected. Neither team back-doored their way to wins against us. They played hard and made tough shots to stay on top.

I guess I would say that the BIG and Big 12 are the two best, but the ACC has some teams coming back to life as well. Duke played a great game against SU last night... the AAC also has some fun teams to watch.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither one of these teams is playing well right now. To say either one is playing top 25 ball right now is a stretch. It's the lower half of the BIG that has shocked everyone. Nebraska and PSU ended up being way better than expected. Neither team back-doored their way to wins against us. They played hard and made tough shots to stay on top.

I guess I would say that the BIG and Big 12 are the two best, but the ACC has some teams coming back to life as well. Duke played a great game against SU last night... the AAC also has some fun teams to watch.

That's true; however, we have been fed a steady diet of just how vastly superior the Big Ten is to the rest of the field. Hopefully, we shall see an end to that given the recent performances. It is my opinion, and it's just an opinion, that the ACC and the Big12 each have at least two teams that should be ranked above anything in the Big ten. Haven't looked, however definitely like Kansas(even though they lost) and Arizona(same) along with Syracuse and Duke as stronger teams. Could even include Kentucky and Florida in there as well, however the bottom of the SEC is abysmal. We are coming down to the end and I suspect there will be no undefeated teams other than Wichata St.; who has a schedule that is conducive for a clean run out. Imagine Wichata St. ranked NR 1...Yikes. In spite of last Night's performance, IMO, MSU, when healthy is the team that will do the best in the NCAA. Like them as a final 8 and with a great game, a final 4 team. Rest of the Big Ten; sorry, just not feeling it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I think the B1G has 10, maybe even 11 tournament capable teams, the league is just that deep. However, it's almost impossible for the league to get that many teams in because somebody has to finish 10-12 in the league. IMO, it's the deepest league, and it does have teams capable of getting to a Final Four. I'd say Michigan, MSU, and Iowa are all capable of getting there.

The B1G has 9 teams who finished the non conf. in the top 50 of the RPI and all 12 teams finished in the top 70 in non conf. RPI. That is just an insanely deep conference. As it currently stands ALL 12 teams are in the top 100 of the RPI. It all comes down to what you deem important, in terms of overall conference strength. The bottom of the league is far better than any other BCS conference leagues, and it has 6 teams in the top 35 of the RPI so it also has good teams at the top.

IMO, there is no way anybody can argue the ACC is better than the B1G. The ACC has 6 teams outside the RPI 75, compared that to the B1G with only 3. They have 4 100+ RPI teams, the B1G has 0.

I wouldn't even take the ACC over the Pac 12 at this point.

IMO it's:

1. Big 12/B1G
3. Pac 12
4. ACC
5. SEC

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the top half of the B12 has some very good teams but nothing elite. They still get my vote, by a hair, for the best conference currently but it's not by much:

Picking up a W vs. Kansas, in one's own building, is very possible. Kansas is good but not elite (5 losses already). Okie State lost again yesterday...4th loss in 3 weeks? Iowa State? Very tough at home but very beatable away from the Hilton (Michigan and Iowa both beat ISU on a neutral court right now). 25th ranked Texas, with a RPI of 21 and one decent OOC win against a 7 loss, inconsistent UNC squad? Maybe. Oklahoma has zero wins against a top 50 RPI opponent, OOC. Yeah zero (the Sooners won't be ranked come Monday).

Sprinkle in a few Baylor and K-State wins and there ya have it. The best college hoops conference. :suds:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 will sit around and argue about who is the best.

Meanwhile the ACC, Big East, and SEC will lift yet another championship banner team.....usually by beating the Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 12 in the title game.

Not surprisingly, you rarely hear any of this junk from the 3 leagues who have flat out dominated the titles (BE, ACC, SEC).

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true; however, we have been fed a steady diet of just how vastly superior the Big Ten is to the rest of the field. Hopefully, we shall see an end to that given the recent performances. It is my opinion, and it's just an opinion, that the ACC and the Big12 each have at least two teams that should be ranked above anything in the Big ten. Haven't looked, however definitely like Kansas(even though they lost) and Arizona(same) along with Syracuse and Duke as stronger teams. Could even include Kentucky and Florida in there as well, however the bottom of the SEC is abysmal. We are coming down to the end and I suspect there will be no undefeated teams other than Wichata St.; who has a schedule that is conducive for a clean run out. Imagine Wichata St. ranked NR 1...Yikes. In spite of last Night's performance, IMO, MSU, when healthy is the team that will do the best in the NCAA. Like them as a final 8 and with a great game, a final 4 team. Rest of the Big Ten; sorry, just not feeling it.

Who is saying this? I have heard people mention they are one of the stronger conferences, but superior...? For sure not this year.

I agree, I don't see Wichata St. losing. SU will lose eventually.. at least they should. It's just too hard in a conf. like that to go undefeated. And it'll probably be at the hands of an unlikely team that catches them off guard.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno Wisky had about as good as a resume you could have OOC.. Same with Iowa.. OSU probably was overrated though.. But I still stand by the fact that teams like Indiana and Purdue need to be better.. Especially the former..

Indiana lost 2 top 5 NBA draft picks.

Now, Indiana is one of the youngest teams in basketball. How good did you expect them to be? Let's be realistic here.

Next year, when Indiana adds another good recruiting class, they'll be back to playing for a B1G title.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana lost 2 top 5 NBA draft picks.

Now, Indiana is one of the youngest teams in basketball. How good did you expect them to be? Let's be realistic here.

Next year, when Indiana adds another good recruiting class, they'll be back to playing for a B1G title.

Indiana had one of the best recruiting classes last year.. So I expected them to be where they were 2 years ago atleast..

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the argument that if a team from your conference wins the title your whole conference is superior. To rate the best conference you judge all teams in it. So if Florida wins the title this year that makes the SEC the best conference or means the Big 12 or Big 10 are garbage? 1 great team can't make up for the other 10 or 12 in your conference that aren't great or good.
When I am judging a conference I am looking at top to bottom what conference has the best teams. How many teams get in the tourney. How many have good or deep runs in the tourney. What conference is the deepest. Not who is top heavy and has more bottom feeders or who has that one team that wins it all while the rest of the conference does nothing in the tourney.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't think anybody ever thought the Big Ten was head and shoulders above all other conferences but they are a strong conference one of the top 2 or 3 in the country

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow great analysis in this thread. Let's try to keep this mind set when CFB starts up again.