• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If offered, what's in it for Tech to join the SEC?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW: ESPN is reporting that A&M is set to announce its departure from the BIG12 in the next week.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.... And? Who cares about tamu? All that matters is the 14th team.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW lately the VT to SEC rumblings have gotten a lot more convincing... MUCH more so than a month ago when aTm first broke. BUT don't expect any concrete stuff for awhile. Many things are going to be considered (finances #1) and probably wont become clear until after the season. Coaches don't want any distractions. :peace2:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46, I agree that the road to the NCG will be easier thru a revamped ACC but I dont see the ACC getting revamped to help us. If FSU leaves we are the only legit team and the ACC will have no respect. If we do go to the SEC it may take a couple more years before we can compete for the conference championship but we will also have a chance to make it to the NCG as a 1 loss team which we will not be able to in the ACC. Ideally all the conferences would stay they same and I think we would be in the NCG in the next 4 years but I don't see that happening. I am for VT going to the SEC because I would rather not be the one left behind winning the mediocre ACC.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think that FSU or Clemson have any shot of going to the SEC, FWIW.

If I had to guess right now it would be Missouri and aTm in the west and VT and NCSt in the east.

Other than us, they're adding a whole lot of blah there. The other super conference scenarios are a lot more intriguing - Texas to B1G, Oklahoma, OSU to PAC12 with Boise and Fresno.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than us, they're adding a whole lot of blah there. The other super conference scenarios are a lot more intriguing - Texas to B1G, Oklahoma, OSU to PAC12 with Boise and Fresno.

Maybe so, but they are already pretty loaded. They are adding two competitive, tradition rich teams (VT, aTm) one team that will immediately dominate a good football market for TV and recruits (NCSt) and well....yeah....Missouri is meh.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think that 4 16-team "BCS" conferences will lead to a playoff? The issue would be what would happen with the other conferences like the WAC,CUSA,Subelt, etc for bowls. There would be the argument that they won't have a team really good enough to make it to the BCS since their best teams will be now be in the super conferences.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think that 4 16-team "BCS" conferences will lead to a playoff? The issue would be what would happen with the other conferences like the WAC,CUSA,Subelt, etc for bowls. There would be the argument that they won't have a team really good enough to make it to the BCS since their best teams will be now be in the super conferences.

I think that we are headed in that direction. There will be two tiers that develop out of this as well. I think some smaller, less competitive schools will use this as an opportunity to back out of the game a big. vanderbilt is the most likely one of those as they have had scholly reductions etc. recently that hint at them not being huge fans of the SEC game. Each conference will essentially be two conferences with some cross conference play. OOC games will drop to maybe 2 per season, and the conference title games will serve as a first round of an 8 game playoff.

If I had to guess at alignment right now it would be:

SEC(minus Vandy) + VT, NCSt, Mizzou, aTm, Kansas
Big Ten + ND, Oklahoma, Ok State, Rutgers
Pac 12 + BYU, Texas, TT, TCU
ACC(minus VT NCSt) + Pitt, WVU, Cuse, UCONN, USF, Cincy

Some teams (K State, Louisville, Boise State etc...) will get left out.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what happens to the "left out" teams? That is what I see holding a lot of this up. It would have to be a bigger playoff. 16 team because they would be facing the same critiques they already face and that is smaller schools not getting a shot at it. I also see the B1G taking Pitt over Rutgers.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what happens to the "left out" teams? That is what I see holding a lot of this up. It would have to be a bigger playoff. 16 team because they would be facing the same critiques they already face and that is smaller schools not getting a shot at it. I also see the B1G taking Pitt over Rutgers.

It is going to be interesting. If these 64 teams decide to come together and separate from the NCAA, mayhem could ensue. It may end up having to be some sort of tiered system, like it is now, with one more tier.

Pitt is more coveted by the B1G than Rutgers but Pitt has tied themselves to WVU (for now) and the B1G will not take them. The ACC, however, may.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we are headed in that direction. There will be two tiers that develop out of this as well. I think some smaller, less competitive schools will use this as an opportunity to back out of the game a big. vanderbilt is the most likely one of those as they have had scholly reductions etc. recently that hint at them not being huge fans of the SEC game. Each conference will essentially be two conferences with some cross conference play. OOC games will drop to maybe 2 per season, and the conference title games will serve as a first round of an 8 game playoff.

If I had to guess at alignment right now it would be:

SEC(minus Vandy) + VT, NCSt, Mizzou, aTm, Kansas
Big Ten + ND, Oklahoma, Ok State, Rutgers
Pac 12 + BYU, Texas, TT, TCU
ACC(minus VT NCSt) + Pitt, WVU, Cuse, UCONN, USF, Cincy

Some teams (K State, Louisville, Boise State etc...) will get left out.

I'm not sure that any team would leave a power conference of their own accord 46, and I'm really not sure if a power conference would try to "get rid of the dead weight". I agree that because of high academic standards, teams like Vandy, Duke, Northwestern (to a degree), and Stanford (not so much lately) will not be consistently competitive over the course of time. But still, most of them are charter members of their respective conferences and they won't willingly walk away IMO. I could certainly see some shuffling and it will be a domino effect as many have said. Some WILL get left out, but that will be because they are left behind when the Big 12 and Big East eventually falls. This is what I could see...

Texas
SEC + VT, NCSt, aTm, Kansas
Big Ten + ND, Rutgers, Pitt, Mizzou
Pac 12 + BYU, Texas, Oklahoma, OK St.
ACC(minus VT NCSt), Cuse, UCONN, Louisville, WV or Cinci or USF---(This may become very strong basketball league!!!)

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's going on over here?

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say fuck the SEC you guys don't need that shit, your doing just fine without docking up at the death star.

Also when we say Missouri you have to make a little poop sound right after

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lloydd.gif