• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which coaches need some help in 2017, to stay off the hot seat in 2018?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the top of my head, I think the following teams have coaches whose seats will get hot in 2018 if the following things happen in 2017:

Notre Dame: Brian Kelly has had A LOT of success since he was brought to Notre Dame, but the past 4 seasons have had some bumps. He's lost 20 games over the past four seasons, and had a disastrous 4 win season in 2016. I honestly think that Kelly may be looking to exit ND (just a feeling I get from seeing some of his pressers...obviously those mostly came from losses last year). He's got a fat contract from what I understand, so ND isn't likely to fire him anytime soon, but if he has a bad 2017...it wouldn't be a reach to see him let go after the 2018 season if he struggles. With a resurgence of talent in South Beach, Miami could be tough this year. USC looks like they may be back to top 10 strength as well. An early test from Georgia, and the season could start off pretty rocky for ND. My prediction: Notre Dame loses 4-5 games next year, and patience begins to wear thin in South Bend which will put Kelly on the hot seat in 2018.

Michigan: Harbaugh has put up some great numbers in Ann Arbor, but if he were to lose again to OSU in 2017, I think his shine would begin to fade, making 2018 a MUST WIN against Ohio State. It would take A LOT to get Harbaugh fired, but if he starts to gain the characteristics of John Cooper (i.e. can't beat his rival), then Michigan fans may begin to turn on him. I'm not sure if Harbaugh's khaki's aren't teflon tough, but he really needs a big win against his rival in the next two seasons. My prediction: Harbaugh wins his first Ohio State game in 2017.

Auburn: Gus had an amazing first season at Auburn in 2013, but since then the best season he has had is an 8 win season. He's managed to drop 3 in a row to his rival Alabama too. IMO, he can't lose another game to Alabama, especially if he is only winning 7-8 games a season. My prediction: Gus loses again to Alabama, and wins less than 10 games. He will be on the hot seat in 2018...if he makes it that far.

Tennessee: Butch Jones has done a great job bringing new life back to Tennessee. They have spent the greater part of the decade in the dumps, with their last 10 win season happening in 2007. He brought back some big recruiting classes, and seemed to have finally got them to respectability with the talent they put on the field...only to disappoint and not live up to expectations during the big games. If he fails to win some key games in 2017, his rear end will be on fire in 2018 (if they don't dump him before that). With tough games against GT, @ Florida, Georgia, and @ Alabama all taking place in the first 7 games, the season could be over before Halloween. My prediction: Butch doesn't make it through 2017 to be on the hot seat in 2018.

Georgia: Even though it is only Smart's second year, if he loses to Florida AND Georgia Tech again, as well as not win the SEC East. I think Smart's 3rd season in 2018 will make those games MUST WINS. I'm not saying that he is in any danger right now, but he really needs to win those rivalry games...and really should win the SEC East next year IMO. My prediction: Smart beats both the Gators and the Yellow Jackets and goes to the 2017 CCG (and loses by 3 TD's)

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one I would disagree with is Harbaugh. IMHO Michigan aint gettin a better coach/fit than Harbaugh and I think the Michigan brass knows it. He has a looooooong leash.

Bret Bielema might start feelin some serious heat if Arkansas has a down year this year.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sumlin is not going to make it if we have another losing skid second half of the season

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuts on Harbaugh.

A. Harbaugh is NOT beating Ohio State in 2017. Didn't the entire Michigan starting team go NFL or use up their eligibility?
B. Harbaugh has at least three more years at Michigan

Hugh Freeze Mississippi, Todd Graham AZ State, Kingsbury Texas Tech, Sumlin Texas A&M, Lovie Smith Illinois, Dana Holgorsen West Virginia(it just seems WV doesn't really like him),

Numero Uno - gets fired first
Addazio Boston College

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia isn't going to fire Smart after 2 years.

Butch Jones is done stick a fork in him.
Sumlin is in trouble.

Gus just went to the Sugar Bowl, if he wins 9 games then goes to a decent bowl he is fine.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus just went to the Sugar Bowl, if he wins 9 games then goes to a decent bowl he is fine.

Auburn going to keep a guy who has lost to Alabama 4 years in a row?

I think he's done if Alabama wins again this year.

The rest I agree with you on.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn going to keep a guy who has lost to Alabama 4 years in a row?

I think he's done if Alabama wins again this year.

The rest I agree with you on.
You can't pin a guy's future on one team. It's not like anyone else is having great success with Alabama. Auburn and Ole Miss are doing the best against them and LSU is the team that has a real bama issue.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgerson is going to get his shit pushed in this year and go 6-6.
But it won't get him fired, but that seat will be red hot on his ass.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia isn't going to fire Smart after 2 years.

You failed to read my post, it would be after the 2018 season. If Smart loses to both Florida and GT this season (2017), then he has to win those games in 2018 IMO or they may begin looking elsewhere. He has WAY too much talent to not with those games and the SEC East in the next 2 seasons. Again, my prediction is that he probably beats both of them and wins the SEC East in 2017.

Butch Jones is done stick a fork in him.
Sumlin is in trouble.

I agree with that!

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one I would disagree with is Harbaugh. IMHO Michigan aint gettin a better coach/fit than Harbaugh and I think the Michigan brass knows it. He has a looooooong leash.

Bret Bielema might start feelin some serious heat if Arkansas has a down year this year.
I think people forget that Cooper was at OSU like 12/13 years before he was fired for not beating Michigan. Not 3. As long as Harbaugh keeps winning 10 or so games he's golden for another 3-4 years until those criticisms really build up. As long as he doesn't lose to both MSU/OSU often in the same year, he has a lot of wiggle room.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgerson is going to get his shit pushed in this year and go 6-6.
But it won't get him fired, but that seat will be red hot on his ass.

Just extended him, he can go out and win 4 games this year and he will still be safe. Fans would be ready to burn his house down (especially if he loses to this years sh*tty OU team) but he would still be safe as far as keeping his gig. DH is pretty much a lock through the 2019 season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just extended him, he can go out and win 4 games this year and he will still be safe. Fans would be ready to burn his house down (especially if he loses to this years sh*tyy OU team) but he would still be safe as far as keeping his gig. DH is pretty much a lock through the 2019 season.

Didn't they do the same thing with Bill Stewart right before they fired his ass.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting this. As to Harbaugh, he's had a good few seasons with Michigan. Still if they don't get to the playoffs this year I think he may get let go.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could see Dave Doeren's seat getting warm if things don't get better in Raleigh.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting this. As to Harbaugh, he's had a good few seasons with Michigan. Still if they don't get to the playoffs this year I think he may get let go.
You are highly under-estimating how much Jimmy Jam Juice they are chugging in Ann Arbor. He's got a good 4-5 years before his seat gets the tiniest touch warm if he keeps winning 9-10 games a year. This is a rebuilding year for Michigan so it's not a make or break season Harbaugh.