• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If offered, what's in it for Tech to join the SEC?

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good article about the possible SEC expansion and how it might affect Tech:

SEC's delay of expansion means nothing - The Memphis Edge

oooh crap... my Asian massage metaphor was off... I guess this was like going to the dentist and finding out I don't have any cavities when I thought I would need a root canal.

For the record... I do NOT want to be in the SEC. Nor the Big T(w)e(lve)n. I like the ACC. I think we match up with those teams better than any other conference realignment scenario. If the super conferences are unavoidable, I'll take Pitt, UConn and then pick'em for the rest.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id rather be in a power football conference to be honest...id go to the big 10 or SEC, no preference, if given the option.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id rather be in a power football conference to be honest...id go to the big 10 or SEC, no preference, if given the option.

I would agree. In the end I would prefer SEC. I think we could have advantages come November home conference games when UGA or UF has to come up to the cold mountains to play. We would have nothing like that in the Big 10 but if we can't get the SEC the Big 10 would be a good fit as well.

That was a good article posted and VT makes so much more sense that the other schools for the SEC to come after. If we accept that will be a different story but a big bump in TV revenues will be tough. A big question would be IF we do go to the SEC, does VT start drawing up plans to expand Lane Stadium? Close in the North and/or connect the south with the east and west. We are loud but adding 15k seats will make us just as loud as any school in the country.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to have to be a package deal with UVa? Why would the VA State legislature let us leave the ACC (potentially with a lot of its members - Clemson, FSU, GT? - for all intents and purposes gutting it) without bringing along UVgAy?

Are we no longer tied to each other?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
State may allow it because VT would bring in more money and thus bring in more money for the state.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
State may allow it because VT would bring in more money and thus bring in more money for the state.

But wouldn't it hurt the money coming into UVA (Charlottesville, not Wise) enough to hold us back?

Part of me doubts that UVA (C-ville) would want to jump to the SEC and would probably be happy to be rid of us as a constant conference L on their schedule... but if SEC just guts the ACC (taking three of the four of FSU, Clemson, both Techs), the leftover Big Least and ACC would have to form a Frankenstein conference that would have a weak case to remain an AQ bid... even worse if the B1G sweeps in and takes Pitt, Maryland and others.

That would kill the UVA (C-ville) program. More so than our being left behind in the Big Least had Syracuse gone over instead of us.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours after the Weaver post below, Virginia Tech associate vice president for university relations Larry Hincker e-mailed me this statement, written after he consulted with Tech president Charles Steger:

"Virginia Tech is exceedingly pleased with our membership in the ACC. It is the perfect conference for us. The university administration has no interest in any discussion concerning affiliation with any conference other than the ACC."

Teel Time: Hokies have "no interest" in departing ACC for SEC or any other conference - dailypress.com

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wouldn't it hurt the money coming into UVA (Charlottesville, not Wise) enough to hold us back?

Part of me doubts that UVA (C-ville) would want to jump to the SEC and would probably be happy to be rid of us as a constant conference L on their schedule... but if SEC just guts the ACC (taking three of the four of FSU, Clemson, both Techs), the leftover Big Least and ACC would have to form a Frankenstein conference that would have a weak case to remain an AQ bid... even worse if the B1G sweeps in and takes Pitt, Maryland and others.

That would kill the UVA (C-ville) program. More so than our being left behind in the Big Least had Syracuse gone over instead of us.

The SEC will most likely not be taking Clemson,FSU, and/or GT because they gain nothing by adding them. VT is the only school in the ACC that would be a gain for them because of the DC markets. UVA will not go nor be offered. They have their academics set in the ACC and their other sports fit better in the ACC. The only way I see Clemson or FSU going is if the SEC really wants to add A&M and VT declines to go. They will be forced to find the next best suitor in the east and have to take the hit of that team to gain the Texas markets.
I also don't see the SEC jumping to 16 teams right away. I think they will go to 14 if they add on. That will give them 6 in division games, 2 cross division, 4 OOC. Possibly making it 3 cross division and 3 OOC

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC will most likely not be taking Clemson,FSU, and/or GT because they gain nothing by adding them. VT is the only school in the ACC that would be a gain for them because of the DC markets. UVA will not go nor be offered. They have their academics set in the ACC and their other sports fit better in the ACC. The only way I see Clemson or FSU going is if the SEC really wants to add A&M and VT declines to go. They will be forced to find the next best suitor in the east and have to take the hit of that team to gain the Texas markets.
I also don't see the SEC jumping to 16 teams right away. I think they will go to 14 if they add on. That will give them 6 in division games, 2 cross division, 4 OOC. Possibly making it 3 cross division and 3 OOC

Cool. Not sure what to root for here.

I guess the good news is, I have no say, weight or influence at all on the discussion. I just have to sit back and wait for our decision makers to make the choice and hope it turns out for the best.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said. I would ultimately prefer all the conferences to stay as they are except for the Big 12 to add a couple schools to get back to 12 and have a CG. Big 12 should add Boise and BYU (not likely though) Or even SMU. They will be getting better under June Johnson

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said. I would ultimately prefer all the conferences to stay as they are except for the Big 12 to add a couple schools to get back to 12 and have a CG. Big 12 should add Boise and BYU (not likely though) Or even SMU. They will be getting better under June Johnson

Or Houston... and TCU. How they let TCU go to the Big Least is mind boggling. If you've got Baylor as a member... what's holding you up from inviting TCU. You could then have a Texas division and a mid-west division. Texas, I'm sure, would love dominating that year in, year out.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Houston... and TCU. How they let TCU go to the Big Least is mind boggling. If you've got Baylor as a member... what's holding you up from inviting TCU. You could then have a Texas division and a mid-west division. Texas, I'm sure, would love dominating that year in, year out.

While it makes sense to us that TCU should have joined the Big 12 what would the Big 12 get from adding TCU? They have the market and TCU does not have the facilities any of the other Big 12 schools have. Same thing we are hearing about SEC adding certain schools. Houston would be a good add just to fill in the spots but they add nothing as far as markets or money and it always comes down to money.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Uh-oh...

billyliucci Billy Liucci
Breaking: Texas A&M sends official notice to Dan Beebe and Big 12 that they will explore conference options. And so it begins...
1 hour ago

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Dont know how many of you guys have seen it but from 46 post on the main board and the post from a couple other sites: it sounds like things may be heating up with VT and the SEC.

FWIW i have mixed emotions about making the move. I honestly think that VT football would be OK in the SEC especially after a couple years of "sec recruiting", but i wonder about BBALL. We have finally became relevant in basketball and i feel like the ACC tag is a big part of the reason. I also wonder what it will do for the non-rev sports, but dont follow them closely enough to really have an opinion.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure it is happening. I know, FOR A FACT, that we have been approached on some level and are now the top target. It will be upmto us and the ACC now. If the ACC can solidify the conference, become proactive and make overtures north, I think that we stay with them. If not, I think we are gone.

I have also been able to see the brib side of both scenarios. I feel no real loyalty to the ACC especially how the last three selection Sundays have gone. Our fearless commissioner has not done us any favors there. Also, the ACC never wanted us, they had to take us. The SEC ACTUALLY wants us and that is nice to hear.

On the other hand, I worry how well we could thrive in a conference loaded with backhand dealing and cheating rampant (but is the ACC heading in that direction as well) and I think that getting to another NCG is easier through amnes and improved ACC.

I lean toward wanting to stay but could embrace and see the good on either.