• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If offered, what's in it for Tech to join the SEC?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lots of chatter officially and unofficially about Texas A&M being all but a done deal to make the switch to the SEC. The SEC will then need to add another team, and the Hokies have been mentioned as a likely candidate.

Any thoughts on:

1) the probability of this actually happening?

2) why Tech would leave the ACC as a football top-dog to become a mid- to low-level competitor in the SEC?

3) will it eventually boil down to the money?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money talks, but I think Beamer and the VT administrators are hell bent on staying in the ACC. The problem I have is Swofford....this guy does nothing to market the ACC and get people excited about the ACC. Swofford will sit back and watch this next round of expansion and the ACC will be left out in the cold wondering what hit them. I do think VT is a better fit for the ACC, but Swofford needs to be working the phones and network excecutives so the ACC isn't at the end of the ripple effect. I the SEC decides to go to 16 and wants to include VT, I think we have no choice but to jump on that offer.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd personally prefer the ACC maintain its current members. It's an excellent all sports conference, perfect for Virginia Tech's needs. Further, Virginia Tech has fit in with the ACC extremely well, developing regional rivalries and academic partnerships. If FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech can hold the line, and other programs improve, ACC football can eventually improve substantially.

Should an invitation be extended to Virginia Tech alone, I suspect that it would not leave the ACC. Ofcourse things could change that threatens the survival of the athletic program. However, WRT the SEC, you can't keep adding the best football schools to the same conference without someone losing games, losing money, and/or becoming unhappy. That's how the Big 12 got dismantled, and that's why the Southern Conference (Ironic that it might come full circle) fell apart.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Money talks, but I think Beamer and the VT administrators are hell bent on staying in the ACC. The problem I have is Swofford....this guy does nothing to market the ACC and get people excited about the ACC. Swofford will sit back and watch this next round of expansion and the ACC will be left out in the cold wondering what hit them. I do think VT is a better fit for the ACC, but Swofford needs to be working the phones and network excecutives so the ACC isn't at the end of the ripple effect. I the SEC decides to go to 16 and wants to include VT, I think we have no choice but to jump on that offer.

Swofford is horrible. It's amazing how incompotent he is. It's terrible across the board, including mismanagement of basketball. I often wonder how he got so lucky to fall into the Big East's terrible management during expansion, combined with Warner/UVa's saving grace to invite Tech. A new commissioner would do wonders for the ACC.

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) I think the probability of us going to the SEC is greater than staying in the ACC!

2) Who says we will be a mid to low level in the SEC. I think we can compete in the SEC right now and we might surprise some people. Let alone what it will do for our recruiting! Guys who want to play in the SEC from Virginia or Maryland may think twice before going further south to play in the best conference. Basketball isnt all that bad either! Look at Kentucky and Florida.

3) Money!!!! We could potentially double our money. So buildings like this new indoor practice facility may become a reality very soon!

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) 75% chance we get an offer and 40% chance we accept that offer. All hinges on who else gets offers. If we are only ACC team offered and it looks like the ACC remains intact, I think we stay.

2) We are top dog in ACC, but if we go to SEC we will start getting the recruits to compete with the SEC. If we go to the SEC, I don't think we would have much trouble keeping recruits in the state of VA. It would take a few years to adjust, but we would eventually be able to compete with the rest of the SEC.

3) If we choose SEC, it has EVERYTHING to do with money. I can't see any reason to join the SEC besides money.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not, expansion with the conferences are all about FOOTBALL and MONEY. So any decisions made around expansion will be based upon these two factors. If we can get more exposure in recruiting, produce a better product on the field and have our Athletic Dept bring in more revenue than what we are currently getting now in the ACC, I think there is a good chance we could leave for the SEC.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I think the probability of us going to the SEC is greater than staying in the ACC!

2) Who says we will be a mid to low level in the SEC. I think we can compete in the SEC right now and we might surprise some people. Let alone what it will do for our recruiting! Guys who want to play in the SEC from Virginia or Maryland may think twice before going further south to play in the best conference. Basketball isnt all that bad either! Look at Kentucky and Florida.

3) Money!!!! We could potentially double our money. So buildings like this new indoor practice facility may become a reality very soon!

Well said Stone, I couldn't agree more. Virginia Tech would OWN Virginia, and possibly Maryland, and to a lesser degree maybe North Carolina and part of Pennsylvania and the rest of the NE in recruiting, IF we joined the SEC. I know it doesn't make sense from a standpoint of traditional rivalries, further distances to travel, etc.etc. but since when did any colleges give a damn about that?? Its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. It would make sense for the SEC (because of the ties between VT and The Nova/DC/Baltimore, Richmond, and Tidewater television markets) and in some ways (Mainly $$$$) it would make sense for VT as well. I agree we could be compete right now. Obviously we would be in the East with A&M in the West, and the East is somewhat down right at the moment. With a changing of the guard in Florida (who knows what that will bring), Georgia having a subpar last couple years, USC-E, Vandy, Kentucky, and Tennessee...I will go ahead and say we could win the SEC East THIS year and play in the SECCG. I may eat crow one day if it ever happens...but I, for one, would like to see us go if the option is ever there..

"75% chance we get an offer and 40% chance we accept that offer. All hinges on who else gets offers. If we are only ACC team offered and it looks like the ACC remains intact, I think we stay."

I disagree Lumbee, We haven't even been in the ACC for 10 years yet, we have no long standing rivalries outside of UVA (which will stay)with any of these teams. If offered we need to jump at this "once in a lifetime" opportunity and play at THE HIGHEST level.

I say 75% we get an offer and 85% we jump ship...anyone else want to make a prediction..

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the ACC is the best fit for VT, but only the ACC in its current form. If the ACC loses 3-4 teams and we don't jump, we are looking at a conference that will closely resemble the old Big East. We've all seen what a great fit (sarcasm) BC has been for the ACC...now throw in UConn, Syracuse, etc. Yeck.
Again, I love the ACC, but if the SEC offers, I think VT has to be proactive and make the move. That's just my opinion though.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that I am in the minority here, but I think that the chances of Virginia Tech going to the SEC are slim to none. In fact, I would hazard a bet that they are more likely to go north to a super conference than south. The issue was discussed last year when it looked like the Big 12 was about to dissolve and Texas was headed to the Pac 12. Interestingly, Virginia tech said "Thanks but no thanks" to the SEC, however did not rule out the possibility of joining with another suitor.....the Big Ten, who also approached VT. That is right, the Big Ten approached Virginia Tech and 6 other schools about a long term 16 team plan. Are we first on their list, no. Are we last, no.

I think that Weaver and Beamer do not want the culture that is in the SEC. The program has built itself up to be versatile and not dominated by one sport (though it has been for a while). In addition, the good ole boy network in the SEC is a turnoff to them.

If I had to guess, I would say that Virginia Tech will stay with the ACC for better or worse. I also think that the ACC will be proactive in expanding, and will add some teams that might not be expected. If Texas heads to the Big 10 which looms large in all of these projections. Notre Dame may be turned off. The ACC is not out of it for them at this point. If the ACC loses a team to the SEC (Clemson, FSU), look for them to immediately approach the Pitt-WVU tandem. The fact that the ACC will be open to adding WVU and the Big Ten will not gives the ACC a huge advantage in that bidding war. Pitt is a major player n this because of their location, history and success in multiple sports. An ACC with Pitt, WVU, UCONN and Syracuse is a very viable conference in football, and an absolutely dominant conference in basketball.

I am almost 100% confident that the Virginia Tech will remain in the ACC and that the ACC will grow in the next three years.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it happens. Plus, Jim Weaver said VT would politely decline if offered.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the ACC is the best fit for VT, but only the ACC in its current form. If the ACC loses 3-4 teams and we don't jump, we are looking at a conference that will closely resemble the old Big East. We've all seen what a great fit (sarcasm) BC has been for the ACC...now throw in UConn, Syracuse, etc. Yeck.
Again, I love the ACC, but if the SEC offers, I think VT has to be proactive and make the move. That's just my opinion though.

^ This. Of course Weaver is going to say all of the right things now, but if there is a chance (ACC) teams start heading to the SEC and considerably more money is available, I can see a move being made.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I highly doubt it happens. Plus, Jim Weaver said VT would politely decline if offered.

Weaver said the same thing when the ACC discussions started. Don't count on what he's currently saying in public.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC won't offer to VT mainly because the Virginia legislature would never allow it. Look at what the Texas House is doing with A&M; there aren't any definitive statements tying A&M to the SEC, and the House is already meeting about the possibility. The problem with the ACC is that Swofford, a Carolina alum (and former AD) only cares about promulgating the Tobacco Road schools. He brought in Miami, VT, and BC not only to expand the football side (which hasn't done a whole lot from a national standpoint) but to increase revenue. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but with that strong of a tie to UNC, the ACC comish has no desire to improve the ACC's rep as a national football power unless it involves UNC.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC speed of course... But you'll have to go through the probationary period. We just don't give out all that speed on a signature

Seriously, it is not going to happen, unfortunately. I think VT would be a great choice for expansion of THE conference. I would put them on the same tier as Georgia, Tennessee & South Carolina

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Never say never!! Thats what I have learned!

Are you this guy?
Justin_Bieber.jpg

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of chatter officially and unofficially about Texas A&M being all but a done deal to make the switch to the SEC. The SEC will then need to add another team, and the Hokies have been mentioned as a likely candidate.

Any thoughts on:

1) the probability of this actually happening?

2) why Tech would leave the ACC as a football top-dog to become a mid- to low-level competitor in the SEC?

3) will it eventually boil down to the money?

What makes you think that?