• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If offered, what's in it for Tech to join the SEC?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports of A&M accepting SEC offer, with Clemson, Fla St., and Missouri to follow. Snooze ya lose.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just posted this on the main board, but ESPn is reporting that aTm is officially joining the SEC, and Clemson, FSU and Mizzou are likely to follow. I expect the ACC to make a move to add PITT and WVU in short order, with UCONN, Syracuse and two of Rutgers, Notre Dame, Kansas OR USF in short order. If I was a betting man, I would guess Kansas and Rutgers.

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT would do well in the SEC. In fact I think the top 4 teams in the ACC would do well in the league. When you only play a team once a year in a bowl, anything can happen. Bud Foster would only need one season of playing the same schools to get into a rythm....Ga Tech is a classic example. They come out of the blocks quickly, but once everyone saw them a few times, they were finished.

VT will go as Virginia politics go, which mean I think the Va Legislature will ultimately squirrel it...

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again!

I concur with 46&2 that the ACC will now go after Pitt, WVU, UConn, and Cuse. Kansas and ND would be good gets, but they would probably be recruited hard by the B1G as well.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The ACC needs to be creative in this situation, but Swofford is the definition of reactive in these scenarios. Someone on the Rivals Mainboard suggested going after Texas and Notre Dame. Notre Dame has been discussed before, but acquiring Texas and possibly Oklahoma would be very proactive.

Regardless, he needs to do whatever he can to keep FSU. If VT does not want to leave the ACC (idiotic in my humble opinion), then they need to hold onto FSU as much as possible. We can survive without Clemson, but I cannot see football doing well without FSU.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I just posted this on the main board, but ESPn is reporting that aTm is officially joining the SEC, and Clemson, FSU and Mizzou are likely to follow. I expect the ACC to make a move to add PITT and WVU in short order, with UCONN, Syracuse and two of Rutgers, Notre Dame, Kansas OR USF in short order. If I was a betting man, I would guess Kansas and Rutgers.

if the clemson/fsu thing happens, Welcome back to the Big East! because thats basically what we've got from a football perspective.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope FSU doesnt go. Clemson,eh but i would rather them get Missouri. ACC is on its way back to relevance and losing FSU would be a MAJOR blow. I would rather VT go but doesn't seem like thats going to happen.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
Again: high-placed SEC source tells SN "no president's meeting this weekend." Also says FSU, GaTech, Clemson not candidates for 14th team.
11 minutes ago

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if clemson and fsu leave the ACC, id just assume head to the big 10 if offered the chance. id imagine that once one conference went to 14 or so, other conferences would try and follow suit.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
Again: high-placed SEC source tells SN "no president's meeting this weekend." Also says FSU, GaTech, Clemson not candidates for 14th team.
11 minutes ago

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Obviously A&M is going with others probably entering talks soon. I have heard nothing mentioned about VT but still, it makes sense why they would go after us. FSU and Clemson..sure I cold definitely see that. Missouri?? That one kindof has me scratching my head. IMO there is nothing "SEC" about Missouri. They are Big10 all the way. IF they were to try and go 16, I don't see Mizzou being in there...If they ended u in the SEC would be surprised. I could see them going after other Big 12 teams...Oklahoma woul be huge, Maybe some others..
I hope they call us...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Missouri is the random team in there. I also agree if we don't get the call for the SEC I hope we can get into the Big10 if conferences start going wild. (Big10 has the largest TV contract deal with each team getting $22 million. Could be REALLY tough to turn down and I see us fitting in there well) In the end I dont see what adding FSU or Clemson gives the SEC that they don't have already.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Missouri invite doesn't blow me away either. What's the SEC's angle there? Why do people think Pitt would drag along WVU, but Missouri wouldn't bring along Kansas (and then Kansas would need to bring K St.).

Oklahoma and OSU are notably absent from all this talk too... If I was the SEC I would much rather take TAMU, OU, OSU and maybe FSU or Clemson or GT... THAT would be a conference, and totally screw Texas.

The biggest problem I see with B10 expansion is that they will have to raid multiple conferences to get what they want. I think they're tired of Notre Dame's holdout, and I don't think Notre Dame has much to gain from membership (especially if they can continue to schedule a defacto B10 OOC schedule... and I think they always will). Their wants and needs include teams from all of the conferences except the SEC and PAC12... so if they come calling, I think their invitees will listen.

Who's on that list? Pitt, Maryland, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma? OkSt? Texas (I really don't see this one... it would kill their $300 mil Texas-only TV deal)?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri and aTm are in if the ask because of markets they bring.

SEC can not invite th because of potential litigation but they were put on a fast track list if they inquired last season when the SEC initiated talks win 7 schools.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Imo there is little doubt that the "mega conferences" are going to be a reality. I think that the SEC is just trying to be proactive in developing a plan if one of the other conferences acts first.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo there is little doubt that the "mega conferences" are going to be a reality. I think that the SEC is just trying to be proactive in developing a plan if one of the other conferences acts first.

I agree. We may be 5 years away from this but I honestly do feel that if they decide to go to 16 teams, we will get an invite. For now I guess we shall wait until the end of the season when this will come back up again.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a quite a few Big East teams and Notre Dame being thrown around by you guys as possible additions to the ACC, but what about Navy? I know it doesn't extend the geographical footprint, but they would open up a great many TV's across the whole country.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I just walked out of an Asian massage parlour and all i got was a crappy massage.

Damn teasing SEC. Let me put on my reading-between-the-lines glasses....FSU or klempson said no, right?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I just walked out of an Asian massage parlour and all i got was a crappy massage.

Damn teasing SEC. Let me put on my reading-between-the-lines glasses....FSU or klempson said no, right?

Just sit down and grab a magazine. The happy ending is coming, in the next week.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What's the new prediction on Conference Armageddon?

24915957.jpg