• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I wish we could draft Kony Ealy but he wont be there

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here but right now i think Dix is gone by #14

Right now I hear the Rams like Pryor better........ And they are the only other team that will take a safety higher than we would.

That said it's all going to come down the the combine.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bigger problem remains the ability to evaluate the talent. I've been saying this for a very long time. It started during Austin's second NFL season. Today on the radio the boys were talking about the lousy talent evaluations in Dallas and they made a great point. They said they would be happy IF Dallas did a better job evaluating their own talent....the talent they see practice every single day. Today, Stephen comes out at the Senior Bowl and says they are open to bringing Spencer back. Seattle has two FA DEnds playing right now causing havoc weekly and each make about 5M a year while the jones are open to bringing 10M plus spencer back?? HUGE ASS PROBLEM. The league is set up for about 80% of the teams to be 8-8 and the JONES'S think because we're 8-8, we're close....one/two players away while real GM's and coaches think about who plays IF so and so gets hurt.

Tell death do us part and if it somehow happens....it will in spite of all that is the Jones circus act

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way we take Early is if we plan on releasing Ware.

I'd love to see these guys right about #'s 1-17. Of the players available in the 2 drafts, I'd get Ha Ha Clinton Dix in one and Louis Nix in the other. Either way would be fine by me

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS sports has Pryor rated as the 29th best player. I am not sure about Pryor. The guy looks like he could come in and be an enforcer. He seems to have decent range and good ball skills. He also hits very hard. Is he a FS or SS?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS sports has Pryor rated as the 29th best player. I am not sure about Pryor. The guy looks like he could come in and be an enforcer. He seems to have decent range and good ball skills. He also hits very hard. Is he a FS or SS?

How are you even in this conversation?............

HAHA is the better athlete that can play either spot.

Pryor is a pure Free Safety

:L

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I like Pryor better. Haha could be a bust like claiborne. We don't need another "sytem" player in the secondary. I am not seeing these alabama defenders coming into the nfl aand dominating

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way we take Early is if we plan on releasing Ware.

I don't see any way Jerry releases Ware this year at all.

I think if we go DL we will take the guy that we just see as the best player. I don't think we will be looking too much at whether he is a DE or DT, or even whether he should be on the weak side, strong side, 1 tech or 3. We really need multiple players on the DL assuming Spencer and Hatcher are gone, so I think it's just BPA and I have no idea who the team sees as that or who will be there. I do know we need to get to the QB more and I think that will be a focus

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any way Jerry releases Ware this year at all.

I think if we go DL we will take the guy that we just see as the best player. I don't think we will be looking too much at whether he is a DE or DT, or even whether he should be on the weak side, strong side, 1 tech or 3. We really need multiple players on the DL assuming Spencer and Hatcher are gone, so I think it's just BPA and I have no idea who the team sees as that or who will be there. I do know we need to get to the QB more and I think that will be a focus

agree with everything you said...... unti you got to the part of doesn't matter if he plays strong side or weak side.

With us having to replace guys we need to draft day one starters.
If we keep Ware I don't think we take a strictly weak side DE pass rusher. That's a build for the future move and not one a coach makes in the final year of his contract.

Plus ALOT depends on how this team sees Crawford in this 4-3. Me I see him as a great fit at DE. Which gives you Selvie as the rotational guy.
All this is pretty moot until the combine ....... but it really is going to come down to do our DCs thing our safeties would be "good enough" with a better pass rush or do they think there is enough depth at D-line in the draft to finally fix the safety position.

Either way my feelings wont be hurt. But that is the only two positions I see being addressed early in the draft.

Our 1st 3 picks to me are still DT-S-DT in any order.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the DEs exactly like you Ware - weak side; Crawford - SS and Selvie rotational at this point. I think the long term view on Ware is tenuous even though I think he is going to be here in 2014. So I see any DE as probably a backup/rotational guy for 2014 and perhaps pushing for more time by the end of the year. I think if we get a pure pass rusher he will play in the nickel and for that it won't much matter which side they are on if they both can get teh QB. I also think if all are good enough that Crawford may move inside on 3rd and long to get 3 pass rushers on the field, because I think the number 1 priority with the DL going into 2014 is more pressure on the QB.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"All this is pretty moot until the combine ....... but it really is going to come down to do our DCs thing our safeties would be "good enough" with a better pass rush or do they think there is enough depth at D-line in the draft to finally fix the safety position."

"Our 1st 3 picks to me are still DT-S-DT in any order."

100% agree.
I'll shoot kiffin myself if he doesn't take a starting safety by our second round selection.
4 defensive contributors should be the focus. two rotation dlinemen shouldn't be that difficult with one coming after round 3.

Your best point being it's pretty moot sitting here late January...BUT as we sit here today something like this would be my dream from this draft:

round 1 Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor (if the other is drafted ahead of our pick)
R2 - DEFENSIVE TACKLE - Who grades and or Who slips? - Donald, Hageman, Jernigan, Quarles
R3 - Trent Murphy LB Stanford
R4 - Will Sutton DT AZST

I'd also a draft a corner and remove #20 form the team

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would someone explain to me the difference in safeties? Like what makes a guy a FS or a SS. I have asked before why not have another CB on the field but it never got answered. Rolle from NY, Woodson from GB/Oak, Jenkins from NO all made the transition pretty well. Im sure it has something to with size as well, because safeties are usually bigger

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would someone explain to me the difference in safeties? Like what makes a guy a FS or a SS. I have asked before why not have another CB on the field but it never got answered. Rolle from NY, Woodson from GB/Oak, Jenkins from NO all made the transition pretty well. Im sure it has something to with size as well, because safeties are usually bigger

LOL That's like asking what's the difference in a strong side linebacker and a weak side linebacker.

Same with both DEs.....

Very few players do everything well.

Free Safeties are better against the pass. Doesn't mean they can't help in the run game but their primary job is recognizing and defending the pass.

Strong safeties usually play closer to the LOS help primarily with stopping the run and the short passing routes (mainly to tight ends and running backs ... the bigger more physical guys)

Which is why in nickle situations (expected passing downs you do have 3 corners and just one safety on the field)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL That's like asking what's the difference in a strong side linebacker and a weak side linebacker.

Same with both DEs.....

Very few players do everything well.

Free Safeties are better against the pass. Doesn't mean they can't help in the run game but their primary job is recognizing and defending the pass.

Strong safeties usually play closer to the LOS help primarily with stopping the run and the short passing routes (mainly to tight ends and running backs ... the bigger more physical guys)

Which is why in nickle situations (expected passing downs you do have 3 corners and just one safety on the field)

Um, actually isn't it 3 corners, 2 safeties and only 2 lbs? You want extra DBs to compensate for the speed of multiple receivers.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, actually isn't it 3 corners, 2 safeties and only 2 lbs? You want extra DBs to compensate for the speed of multiple receivers.

you're correct my bad ..... typing faster than thinking

Shoulda added ... the strong safety plays more of a cover linebacker role though

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're correct my bad ..... typing faster than thinking

Shoulda added ... the strong safety plays more of a cover linebacker role though

It's why Parcells used to refer to Roy Williams as biscuit, because he was a biscuit away from becoming a linebacker.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Im assuming Church is a better fit at SS. With this being said, why when we were in our base 4-3 defense was Heath on the field. Church and Lee are very good tacklers so we should be able to give up tackling for coverage and put one of our top 3 CBs at free safety= again this just our base defense

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Im assuming Church is a better fit at SS. With this being said, why when we were in our base 4-3 defense was Heath on the field. Church and Lee are very good tacklers so we should be able to give up tackling for coverage and put one of our top 3 CBs at free safety= again this just our base defense

that is the $64,000 question.
I'd take a blown assignment from Wilcox any day of the week over the zero ball skills #38 showed everything he played. The problem in Dallas is the evaluators.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

because a base is just that a base.

Nickle is easier to run against..... The Dime even easier and so forth

I thought our nickle defense looked pretty decent. But you can't just stay in the nickle all game ... Teams will just line up and run all over it.