• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hue Jackson fired.....

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was a run of the mill QB too. So was Montana. You have no idea what Dalton and Flynn will end up. Rodgers wasn't a top 10 or even top 20 pick either.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Correct, but before installing an offense that the greats have made successful, you have to know what you have behind center. The offense has to be tailored to the QB, not the other way around.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Still, the Raiders don’t have any better options, and they will very likely stick with Palmer as they move away from the man who traded for him. Because of the price Jackson paid for him, the Raiders essentially have no choice but to go with Palmer for the next couple of years. McKenzie raised some eyebrows in his introductory press conference Tuesday when he said Palmer will "not be immune to a good player ... pushing him."

That’s fine for McKenzie to say, but are the Raiders really going to keep Palmer as a backup? He’s too good for that, and the Raiders can’t afford to make a change.

It has been suggested that perhaps McKenzie will try to trade Palmer and pursue Matt Flynn -- who was in Green Bay with McKenzie -- as a free agent. There are far too many complications for that to be a reality. There is no way the Raiders would get close to what they gave up for Palmer, and salary-cap issues would keep them from giving Flynn a huge contract.

Palmer a Raider without top supporter - AFC West Blog - ESPN

I really don't see it as possible. There are only a couple teams (Miami, Seattle come to mind) out there that might be interested in Carson at this point, and even for those teams, there's no reason not to just simply pursue Flynn himself for the potential. The only exception I see to this is maybe SF. And in any case, they aren't going to get anywhere near the compensation they'd be looking for.

And even in the case they traded Carson, they still wouldn't be able to offer Flynn a very large contract. To stay under the salary cap, they were expecting several of their veterans including Carson (Seymour and DHB were others) to take a pay cut. Flynn would likely get more elsewhere.

And if they don't trade Carson, not considering salary cap restrictions, I'd bet Flynn would prefer to go to a team that gives him a better shot at winning the starting job.

Cutting Carson just isn't feasible with the cap hit. You're out a bunch of money and you still need a QB.

McKenzie may prefer to start afresh, but that may just not be a possibility for 2-3 years.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't imagine what team would be interested in getting fleeced the way the Raiders did by trading for him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team is trading for Palmer -- Unless they were giving up an insignificant pick. Why would you do it? If you think the Raiders are going in a different direction, you could just wait for them to cut him. And as Rey states - If you are really desperate to pay big money for a qb, why not throw some cash at Flynn? Also, look around the league..... The Bengals won games with a rookie qb. The Panthers did well with Newton. Jake Locker showed some flashes. TJ Yates looked promising at times. And this was in a season where people thought the rookie qbs were questionable at best. I think most teams would rather start new with a rookie than with a guy that is expensive and has some tread on the tires. Maybe a contender would be interested - someone like SF - But they'd have to ask themselves if they really felt like Palmer was that big an upgrade.

The way I see it is that the Raiders bailed out Mike Brown with a sweetheart deal and now they are stuck with him. I actually think they'd do better with him next year than without him and he would be a good guy to bridge the gap until they can start drafting again or until Terrelle Pryor is ready for his shot.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer a Raider without top supporter - AFC West Blog - ESPN

I really don't see it as possible. There are only a couple teams (Miami, Seattle come to mind) out there that might be interested in Carson at this point, and even for those teams, there's no reason not to just simply pursue Flynn himself for the potential. The only exception I see to this is maybe SF. And in any case, they aren't going to get anywhere near the compensation they'd be looking for.
And even in the case they traded Carson, they still wouldn't be able to offer Flynn a very large contract. To stay under the salary cap, they were expecting several of their veterans including Carson (Seymour and DHB were others) to take a pay cut. Flynn would likely get more elsewhere.

And if they don't trade Carson, not considering salary cap restrictions, I'd bet Flynn would prefer to go to a team that gives him a better shot at winning the starting job.

Cutting Carson just isn't feasible with the cap hit. You're out a bunch of money and you still need a QB.

McKenzie may prefer to start afresh, but that may just not be a possibility for 2-3 years.

The Redskins gave up a 2nd and a 4th for McNabb, then traded him the next yr for nothing. If the new regime doesn't think he's the answer just cut your losses as early as possible

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Redskins gave up a 2nd and a 4th for McNabb, then traded him the next yr for nothing. If the new regime doesn't think he's the answer just cut your losses as early as possible

Good point.

However, I'd argue this is a different situation due to all the talent on the roster that they'd undoubtedly want to take advantage of, lack of draft picks, and lack of salary to find another QB (I believe McNabb was cut when there was no salary cap hit and there was no salary cap). At that time it was convenient for Washington just as it was in getting rid of Haynesworth.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue is a clown..... That presser at the end of the season already did enough damage - Now he is making it much worse. He's basically proving the point that he is not capable of being an NFL head coach. What owner is going to hire this guy after he's thrown everyone under the bus? He should look for a good spot in the college ranks, because he's finished in the NFL..... The ole' boys club loves coaches that know their place. That's why the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips of the world continue to get jobs.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good point.

However, I'd argue this is a different situation due to all the talent on the roster that they'd undoubtedly want to take advantage of, lack of draft picks, and lack of salary to find another QB (I believe McNabb was cut when there was no salary cap hit and there was no salary cap). At that time it was convenient for Washington just as it was in getting rid of Haynesworth.

I don't think there would be a cap issue if he's traded or cut. He only has $5 million dollars of garunteed money left on his contract..

If they want to sign Flynn (assuming he's not franchised) and cut-bait on Palmer it's an option

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe $5 million is guaranteed for 2012 which would make that $5 million the cap hit for 2012. Correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty substantial for a QB not on your roster.

https://twitter.com/#!/adbrandt

Last edited by a moderator:

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No team is trading for Palmer -- Unless they were giving up an insignificant pick. Why would you do it? If you think the Raiders are going in a different direction, you could just wait for them to cut him. And as Rey states - If you are really desperate to pay big money for a qb, why not throw some cash at Flynn? Also, look around the league..... The Bengals won games with a rookie qb. The Panthers did well with Newton. Jake Locker showed some flashes. TJ Yates looked promising at times. And this was in a season where people thought the rookie qbs were questionable at best. I think most teams would rather start new with a rookie than with a guy that is expensive and has some tread on the tires. Maybe a contender would be interested - someone like SF - But they'd have to ask themselves if they really felt like Palmer was that big an upgrade.

The way I see it is that the Raiders bailed out Mike Brown with a sweetheart deal and now they are stuck with him. I actually think they'd do better with him next year than without him and he would be a good guy to bridge the gap until they can start drafting again or until Terrelle Pryor is ready for his shot.

If the Raiders put Palmer on the block they won't get a great deal. they have no leverage. but if a team wants him as their QB someone will put in a bid... something would be better than nothing..

The Cheifs traded a pick in the top 35 picks of the draft for Cassell, even though the Pats franchised him with Brady on the roster... that's practically a first rd pick for a QB that the Chiefs knew the Pats wouldnt be keeping under any circumstances

I'm obviously a bigger Palmer fan than almost anyone, so I can't imagine there being no interest in a player who was throwing for almost 300 yds a game

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 mil aint shit. Just cut him.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't imagine what team would be interested in getting fleeced the way the Raiders did by trading for him.

yeah, I was being facetious. Just highlighting how big of a hole the Raiders put themselves in by mortgaging a 1st and 2nd for that monotone, INT machine. Well done Hue Jackson.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

Wasn't there some type of clause in his contract that they could cut him after the first year, and it would only count for a minimum cap hit? I seem to remember something about this?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wasn't there some type of clause in his contract that they could cut him after the first year, and it would only count for a minimum cap hit? I seem to remember something about this?

Sounds familiar but I really don't know.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

McNabb, Yes. Palmer, dont know.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Carson will not be cut. If there's a team out there that wants his services, they'll lowball the Raiders, but they'll give up a pick for him, and the Raiders will hold out for it. I could easily see the 49ers offering a 2nd round pick for Carson especially if their offense can't generate anything against the Saints this Saturday.

As for that "monotone, INT machine", he was still in the top 10 in most statistical categories (ypg, ypa, ypc, TD/g...top 5 in some of these) and top 15 in every other (comp%). The only exception being interceptions for mostly obvious reasons. He is no longer a top tier QB nor a hot commodity because of what he once was and what people remember him as, but he isn't a QB whose services teams could not use.