• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hue Jackson fired.....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jackson as an offesive mind, but I don't think Dalton's talents would be maximized in vertical Coryell scheme...

seems like he works best in a WCO

I'm not big on Jackson. We just got rid of the Bratkowski offense and Jackson's wouldn't be much different. Plus, Hue doesn't have the offensive credentials that everyone assumes. He's only been an offensive coordinator for three seasons (all for different teams) and he's had a top 10 offense once. That offense was the 09 Raiders and was largely carried by a great running game.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not big on Jackson. We just got rid of the Bratkowski offense and Jackson's wouldn't be much different. Plus, Hue doesn't have the offensive credentials that everyone assumes. He's only been an offensive coordinator for three seasons (all for different teams) and he's had a top 10 offense once. That offense was the 09 Raiders and was largely carried by a great running game.

I wouldn't hold the yr in Atlanta against him..

Petrino was the lone playcaller, and I'd imagine they were running his playbook as well...

I liked his offenses in Oakland a lot though. They had too many injuries to be fairly evaluated this season, but they still produced

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true. I wouldn't want to see Dalton throwing the ball down the field like Palmer did. If Gruden goes I'd prefer to see someone more in the mold of the NE offense.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
on he topic of Hue's season coaching stint in Oakland...

that guy got the shaft..

Qb gets injured, loses All Pro RB for the season, decimated WR corps, had Chuck Breneshan as DC (not his choice)... playing for a chance at the division title isnt bad given the circumstances...

Passing the buck and throwing people under the bus are poor leadership traits (perhaps learned for a coach he worked for back in the day), but in a fair world he needed another season to prove if he was or wasn't the right coach for the job

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New GM's want new coaches who want new QB's. I see the trickle down effect happening in Oakland.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he dealt with a lot there, but they would have been champs had they won week 17. They had a league record in penalties and yards. That is coaching. He had his chance and blew it. It happens. I mean had they kept him I wouldn't have questioned it, but I also don't question firing him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I mean, he dealt with a lot there, but they would have been champs had they won week 17. They had a league record in penalties and yards. That is coaching. He had his chance and blew it. It happens. I mean had they kept him I wouldn't have questioned it, but I also don't question firing him.

That was mostly on the defense. They didn't force a punt the entire game. he didn't pick Chuck Breneshan as DC. That was an Al Davis hire. the last I heard Breneshan was a UFL linebackers coach...

Jackson got a raw deal, even if his attitude didnt help

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, had they kept him I wouldn't have questioned the decision, but I also won't question firing him.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt Carson goes anywhere. As Grad said, they can't really go into a rebuilding phase now with no draft picks, especially with all the talent they already have. But of course that changes if McKenzie thinks Flynn is the answer.

Apparently, when McKenzie called Hue into his office and essentially handed him the pink slip, Hue asked if the firing was due to his relationship with the players. Word is that after the defensive collapse against the Lions, he took to calling players out in the lockerroom which left a lot players "rolling their eyes at him" and him losing their respect. Additionally, Carson in the days before the game against San Diego told Rich Gannon that he wished he could get face time with Hue before games to talk about the game plan, but Hue was always too busy. I also read his press conference transcript after the loss to San Diego, and he threw his entire team under the bus, not shouldering any of the blame himself. If was actually pretty disgusting to read. Now, take all that and the only reason I can think of that he'd ask such a question to McKenzie is if his relationship with the players truly had soured.

Point being, I'm just not buying that Hue was fired because a new GM would want to bring in his own people. At least not with a team that still went 8-8 despite the number of injuries and everything else they went through.

Also, up to this point, despite Hue's firing, as far as I know, there hasn't even been speculation that the Raiders may go in a different direction at QB. If there had been, we would've heard it by now considering we've been hearing for days now that Hue's job may be on the line.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Also, up to this point, despite Hue's firing, as far as I know, there hasn't even been speculation that the Raiders may go in a different direction at QB. If there had been, we would've heard it by now considering we've been hearing for days now that Hue's job may be on the line"

The possibilty of Jackson's firing just leaked a few days ago. I expect there to be plenty of speculation on Palmer in the coming months now that his coach was offically let go. And Jackson said they're "gutting" the place. I'm thinking McKenzie is going to make them the Packers-West... schemes, coaches, players etc... not a bad move in theory, but for a team off back to back 8-8 seasons after 10 or so straight losing season I'm not sure I agree with the direction

I agree that Jackson's tirade after the SD game was a poor move on his part. It showed poor leadership. but it also wasn't in any way a fireable offense. it was a heat of the moment speech after a tough loss...

And you should never hire or fire a coach based on the players' opinions. That sets a bad precedent

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man, if I were the Raiders I'd just trade Carson for a 1st and guaranteed 2nd that could escalate into a 1st...easy, peasy japaneasy

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I've heard is Palmer will have to compete for the starting job next year and he isn't immune to a good player being brought in and competing. McKenzie said that.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All I've heard is Palmer will have to compete for the starting job next year and he isn't immune to a good player being brought in and competing. McKenzie said that.

McKenzie gave the typical coach/executive speak, there's an "open competition at every spot" deal..

in reality, I think Palmer either starts, gets cut, or gets traded..

not sure they want to pay a 32 yr old QB that much money to sit the bench

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to pay him crap. I'd go out get Flynn, get a WC coach and roll with Flynn and McFadden.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a great plan to me.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flynn isn't Rodgers, but the Packers don't have McFadden either.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Flynn isn't Rodgers, but the Packers don't have McFadden either.

What's it with you and thinking run of the mill QB's like Dalton and now apparently Flynn can emulate what the greats are doing.