• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Head Coaching Experience is Overrated.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Wilkinson never had any. 31 years old when hired
Jim Mackenzie never had any. 36 years old when hired
Chuck Fairbanks never had any. 33 years old when hired
Barry Switzer never had any. 36 years old when hired
Bob Stoops never had any. 39 years old when hired
Lincoln Riley never had any. 33 years old when hired

Most programs take something simple and make it difficult.
Absolutely true. But many universities think they are above being the proving grounds and can command one with successful experience somewhere else prior to becoming THEIR head coach. Those would never stoop so low as to hire someone without head coaching experience. Not going to take a chance so they let the lesser schools be their proving ground.

Hell, the best coach my school ever had came right out of the high school ranks...and even at a little bitty ass schools. "After college and a stint with the Amateur Athletic Union’s Artesia Travelers, Haskins began coaching small-town Texas high schools (Benjamin, Hedley and Dumas) from 1955 to 1961. He took a pay cut for a chance to be a college coach, accepting a job offer at Texas Western College (now the University of Texas at El Paso) in 1961."

Just look at Ohio State's basketball right now. They aren't going to take a chance like that. I'll be willing to bet they haven't even considered a current assistant coach at a successful program. They command experience as a head coach somewhere else in order to become the HC at tOSU. A lot of 'em think along those lines.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought "getting a (insert school name here) man" was over rated.
I don't care where they came from, if they have ties to the school, state, or anything else as long as they can coach

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought "getting a (insert school name here) man" was over rated.
I don't care where they came from, if they have ties to the school, state, or anything else as long as they can coach
I think getting a (insert school name) man has only mattered to one school.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Great Head Coach ever was not a head coach before becoming a head coach.
FACT
Wrong Meyer has been a HC since he was born. He just had to slow play the job to not make others feel so bad about themselves. I am sorry that he scared Stoops away after the beating last year and what Stoops knows will be another beating this year.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely true. But many universities think they are above being the proving grounds and can command one with successful experience somewhere else prior to becoming THEIR head coach. Those would never stoop so low as to hire someone without head coaching experience. Not going to take a chance so they let the lesser schools be their proving ground.

Hell, the best coach my school ever had came right out of the high school ranks...and even at a little bitty ass schools. "After college and a stint with the Amateur Athletic Union’s Artesia Travelers, Haskins began coaching small-town Texas high schools (Benjamin, Hedley and Dumas) from 1955 to 1961. He took a pay cut for a chance to be a college coach, accepting a job offer at Texas Western College (now the University of Texas at El Paso) in 1961."

Just look at Ohio State's basketball right now. They aren't going to take a chance like that. I'll be willing to bet they haven't even considered a current assistant coach at a successful program. They command experience as a head coach somewhere else in order to become the HC at tOSU. A lot of 'em think along those lines.

THIS.

Most major programs aren't handing the keys to the Ferrari to a teenager with a learners permit. They'd rather woo Andretti to come drive for them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong Meyer has been a HC since he was born. He just had to slow play the job to not make others feel so bad about themselves. I am sorry that he scared Stoops away after the beating last year and what Stoops knows will be another beating this year.
In before "Harbaugh was coaching while he was still a sperm"

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are going to list the coaches that got fired from their 1st head coaching job or pretend this is actual evidence?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will Muschamp??

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herman is going to be a motherfvker with or without Stoops. I would have given my left testicle to get that guy at Washington if Petersen wasn't already there. With that said OU is in super shape atm and if Riley can coach the sky is the limit.

dipshit hermann could barely win the AAC....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate the survivor bias. Any time a sub 6' white WR comes up in recruiting the first response is Wes Welker, like that means schools should now recruit 5'8" white kids that run a 4.6 at WR.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dipshit hermann could barely win the AAC....
12312015_peachbowl_hou_jackgorman-7.jpg

gTFbEfDL.jpeg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy didn't have any Head Coaching experience
How is it working out.

upload_2017-6-10_9-46-54.jpeg