• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Gold Medal Game (Womens) Canada vs USA (shocker I know)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, looking at the second gif again, the D had her stick down. She was just a half step behind.

Can't even call that a mistake. My apologies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats team Canada on the win.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, looking at the second gif again, the D had her stick down. She was just a half step behind.

Can't even call that a mistake. My apologies.

And as a goalie, it always seems like a good idea to disrupt a play by tipping the pass if you can. There was no way for her to know that it was going through clean, or that her deflection was going right to Poulin's stick.

Credit to Canada for generating the pressure to put themselves in a position to get those bounces, but the only mistake I saw was not clearing the puck after winning the faceoff on the tying goal.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off to my american brothers here complaining about the slashing call. An american player(not one of the sisters. I think it was Megan Bozak) was warned about slashing the goalie when the goalie has the puck. Call was totally justifed.

Now to the Bullshit peniality. Look at the play. There was no such cross check, trip or anything to call a penialty on Hillary Knight. There feet got tangled and down goes Wichenshier. That is what you guys should be complaining about.

Now that i got that off my chest. Great game. Second best in the olympics(next to US vs Russia)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats on a fantastic game US. sorry that it went that way but Im so very proud of the Ladies. I read every post from when I left and that was really quite enjoyable to see the change in emotions.

fun stuff.
GOLD BABY

now to tomorrow.

GO CANADA GO

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off to my american brothers here complaining about the slashing call. An american player(not one of the sisters. I think it was Megan Bozak) was warned about slashing the goalie when the goalie has the puck. Call was totally justifed.

Now to the Bullshit peniality. Look at the play. There was no such cross check, trip or anything to call a penialty on Hillary Knight. There feet got tangled and down goes Wichenshier. That is what you guys should be complaining about.

Now that i got that off my chest. Great game. Second best in the olympics(next to US vs Russia)

On the breakaway? Yeah, didn't see anything there either. Still don't know why it wasn't either nothing or a penalty shot.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Knight didn't really touch her. Regardless, I understand calling that one a heck of a lot more than tapping the goalie .02 seconds after a shot is stopped in OT of a gold medal game. They screwed themselves when they called the crosscheck, which was at least minimally understandable, and then evening it up, and forcing their own hand to call a second penalty.

The 5 on 3 thing was interesting though...wasn't OT 4 on 4? I guess they'd just would've kept 5 on 5 if the US had killed it? Thought that was odd.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the breakaway? Yeah, didn't see anything there either. Still don't know why it wasn't either nothing or a penalty shot.

I didnt see it so i cant say whether it was a good or not good original call ... but they said on the radio she ended up getting a shot off ... iihf rules are more cut and dry than NHL ... if you get any type of shot off ... the call is a 2 minute minor and not a penalty shot

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Knight didn't really touch her. Regardless, I understand calling that one a heck of a lot more than tapping the goalie .02 seconds after a shot is stopped in OT of a gold medal game. They screwed themselves when they called the crosscheck, which was at least minimally understandable, and then evening it up, and forcing their own hand to call a second penalty.

The 5 on 3 thing was interesting though...wasn't OT 4 on 4? I guess they'd just would've kept 5 on 5 if the US had killed it? Thought that was odd.

Yeah, since they can't have less than 3 on the ice, they go 4-3 then 5-3, 5-4, and 5-5 until the next whistle. Then it would revert back to 4-4.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These refs were simply gutless and without any confidence. Similar to how they were throughout the tournament. They consistently second guessed their calls, which lead to increasing inconsistency. I think what's most amazing to me was their inability to get out of the way. The winning goal in the round robin play, the almost ENG in this game...refs were running interference. Simply not able to keep up with the pace or the game or anticipate where the puck was going.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt see it so i cant say whether it was a good or not good original call ... but they said on the radio she ended up getting a shot off ... iihf rules are more cut and dry than NHL ... if you get any type of shot off ... the call is a 2 minute minor and not a penalty shot

Amazing no one seemed to pick up on this on the NBC side.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She didn't get a shot off, which is partially why I think it was a terrible call.

As they approach the blue line, it looks like Knight's right foot tangles with Wickenheiser's (spelling?). This causes Knight to fall forward where she hits Wickenheiser in the back while falling. This causes Wickenheiser to go down and lose possession of the puck, which drifts slowly towards the net and is easily poke-checked away (it may have registered as a shot, but it was in no way an actual shot).

Whether Knight intended to bring her down is irrelevant, IMO, because it was clearly her making contact that brought Wickenheiser down.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gord miller may be the worse play by play guy in canada next to mark lee.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gord miller may be the worse play by play guy in canada next to mark lee.

:clap:

did you hear the goal calls??? nuts in the vise on the game tie-er ... on the game winner he went with the piece of repeating shit ... "THE GOLDEN GOAL" ... it even sounded like he was trying to do a Chris Cuthbert impersonation

on radio its 10 times worse ... just amplifies how bad he is at calling a game ... the listener is left wondering where the fuck the puck is

fuckin take him NBC ... take him away from canada please!!!

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

did you hear the goal calls??? nuts in the vise on the game tie-er ... on the game winner he went with the piece of repeating shit ... "THE GOLDEN GOAL" ... it even sounded like he was trying to do a Chris Cuthbert impersonation

on radio its 10 times worse ... just amplifies how bad he is at calling a game ... the listener is left wondering where the fuck the puck is

yeah I had radio the whole 3rd and overtime on the road. at most times you could not even understand what he was saying and I think he spit on me through the radio.

he tries way to hard.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Hugheson is mine. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Just plain annoying now

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, final comment: I don't hate the Canadian women's team...but man Wickenheiser is hard person to like.