• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said he shouldn't have been punished but it should have been less. Multiple game suspension would've been enough

not your call...or mine..it's franks. and apparently he thought it needed to be done.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and let's be honest -- it's not like this is being done to "make room" for another prospect or whatever .. CFB doesn't pull that crap like some coaches will .. and if I had to guess, after his orange bowl curfew issue, he was very likely warned that one more screw up, regardless of how small, and he would be sent packing. Now -- if Cody Journell is allowed back on the team, I'd say that it's hypocritical and wonder if there were other reasons -- but I don't think we see CJ again

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the bad stuff going on in college ball these days he is also sending a message to his players that there will be none of that at VT. It also looks good to recruits' parents that the coach runs a good program.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not your call...or mine..it's franks. and apparently he thought it needed to be done.

I'm not sure it's even Frank's call. I'm pretty sure it's the AD's call according to the Student-Athlete Conduct. Usually players are suspended or suspended indefinitely, but this was a flat out dismissal. Remember Lyndell Gibson had a serious of problems but was never dismissed because he transferred. But before he transferred, Weaver was reviewing Gibson's record:

A month ago, Hokies athletic director Jim Weaver said he was "conducting a review process" on Gibson.

Va. Tech football: LB Gibson, from Salem High, to transfer | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

I think this is out of Frank's hands.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's even Frank's call. I'm pretty sure it's the AD's call according to the Student-Athlete Conduct.

I think this is out of Frank's hands.

good point...i was just trying to say that it wasn't our call to say whether it was too harsh and we shouldn't pretend like we know the whole story. but again...im all for making these kids hold up their end of the bargain. i want the hokies to win a championship as much as anyone...but i want them to do it running a clean program..and show the sec that it can be done.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he is no longer on the team....so.....moving forward:

Brian Laiti is back in the fold.

Jack Tyler has proven to be a very good option at either Mike or Backer (preferably Mike)

Chase Williams was the gem of the offseason two years ago, so this will be a big Spring for him.

We have a shit ton of good linebackers coming in this summer.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he is no longer on the team....so.....moving forward:

Brian Laiti is back in the fold.

Jack Tyler has proven to be a very good option at either Mike or Backer (preferably Mike)

Chase Williams was the gem of the offseason two years ago, so this will be a big Spring for him.

We have a shit ton of good linebackers coming in this summer.

agreed...we do have some good lb's waiting in the wings. i want to see tyler and williams on the field at the same time.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the roster on hokie sports has been updated. Here are some things that stood out to me:

A. Exum - CB 6' 0" 219 lbs. He could be a beast at field corner.
D. Manning - CB 5'9" 155 lbs. How can we possibly expect him to be effective at 155lbs?
D. Nicholas - DE 6'2" 223 lbs. I heard he was supposed to be 240 lbs or so, so that's disappointing.
J. Taylor - DE 6' 2" 253 lbs. He was also supposed to be heavier.
C. Marshall - DT 6'1" 250 lbs. I think that's lighter than last year, so I assume he's moving outside.
J. Goins - OT 6'5" 291 lbs. Must have spent a lot of time at D2. Pleasant surprise.
L. Thomas - QB 6'6" 262 lbs. That's frickin huge.
T. Norman - ROV 6'3" 207 lbs. Guess we moved him from FS.
J.C. Coleman - TB 5'7" 176 lbs. That's actually a bit heavier than I thought he'd be.
R. Malleck - TE 6'4" 250 lbs. Put on some weight. My favorite to win the TE job.
D. Redman - TE 6'3" 257 lbs. Another TE with good size.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the roster on hokie sports has been updated. Here are some things that stood out to me:

A. Exum - CB 6' 0" 219 lbs. He could be a beast at field corner.
D. Manning - CB 5'9" 155 lbs. How can we possibly expect him to be effective at 155lbs?
D. Nicholas - DE 6'2" 223 lbs. I heard he was supposed to be 240 lbs or so, so that's disappointing.
J. Taylor - DE 6' 2" 253 lbs. He was also supposed to be heavier.
C. Marshall - DT 6'1" 250 lbs. I think that's lighter than last year, so I assume he's moving outside.
J. Goins - OT 6'5" 291 lbs. Must have spent a lot of time at D2. Pleasant surprise.
L. Thomas - QB 6'6" 262 lbs. That's frickin huge.
T. Norman - ROV 6'3" 207 lbs. Guess we moved him from FS.
J.C. Coleman - TB 5'7" 176 lbs. That's actually a bit heavier than I thought he'd be.
R. Malleck - TE 6'4" 250 lbs. Put on some weight. My favorite to win the TE job.
D. Redman - TE 6'3" 257 lbs. Another TE with good size.

Is Exum slated for field corner? I thought he would probably be better suited for boundary, although he and Fuller should be pretty interchangeable.

I heard the same over on TSL about Nicholas....people were saying for the last 3 months or so he had grown to 240+. That's disappointing, but we learned last year with Tyrel Wilson that a 220lb DE can still be serviceable.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Exum slated for field corner? I thought he would probably be better suited for boundary, although he and Fuller should be pretty interchangeable.

I assumed Kyle would have boundary corner locked up. I guess Exum would be better wherever his tackling ability would be showcased. Not sure if that would be boundary or field. I don't know is his man coverage skills would be good enough for boundary, but I guess we'll find out this spring.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I assumed Kyle would have boundary corner locked up. I guess Exum would be better wherever his tackling ability would be showcased. Not sure if that would be boundary or field. I don't know is his man coverage skills would be good enough for boundary, but I guess we'll find out this spring.

Exum's man coverage skills have been excellent so far. Where he struggled was when he was facing the QB making reads (which is why FS didn't work out). I think this is why Bonner and Exum have switched, because Bonner seemed to be the opposite. Fuller's almost as good as it gets when it comes to open field tackling, and the field corner is on the wide side of the field so I think he may be better utilized there. The only question mark is whether or not Gray/Foster want to give up their inclination to put the most experienced CB at boundary like they have done in the past....I guess we will see in a couple of days, but I would be surprised not to see Exum at boundary.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DE James Gayle -7 (257 –> 250)
WR D.J. Coles -8 (224 –> 216)
WR Dyrell Roberts -8 (196 –> 188)
OL Michael Via -9 (292 –> 283)
DL Zack McCray -9 (254 –> 245)
FB Joey Phillips -12 (233 –> 221)
TE Duan Perez-Means -13 (248 –> 235)
OG David Wang -14 (300 –> 286)
OG Brent Benedict -15 (326 –> 311)

This is the bad news from the latest Bitter blog. The gains list is much longer thankfully. On this list the only players that could've/should've lost weight are Coles,Roberts, and Benedict. Everyone else needs to get it back over the summer

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. I loved DJ at 225. He was a beast and hard to take down.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if it warrants its own topic so I just stuck this here.

LT3 works out with George Whitfield

I love the fact that he's getting outside coaching. That's exactly the type of thing he needed to do to become an elite level QB this season. Hopefully he can put what's he's learned into practice. In the meantime, I'll be trying my damndest to curb my expectations so I don't go overboard. But that's pretty hard considering what his ceiling could be.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I noticed Marshall is still at DT. Hopefully that will change by fall or at the worst this will be the last year

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't know if it warrants its own topic so I just stuck this here.

LT3 works out with George Whitfield

I love the fact that he's getting outside coaching. That's exactly the type of thing he needed to do to become an elite level QB this season. Hopefully he can put what's he's learned into practice. In the meantime, I'll be trying my damndest to curb my expectations so I don't go overboard. But that's pretty hard considering what his ceiling could be.

EJ Manuel as a potential top QB taken? Next year's group must suck then. The only thing that will keep Logan back for his senior year is a major injury or if he believes another year will help him be better prepared for the NFL. He will be told he's a 1st or 2nd rounder at the end of the year

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Marshall is still at DT. Hopefully that will change by fall or at the worst this will be the last year

People put way too much into size at DT. In a 4-3 gap front like the Hokies play, an undersized but strong defensive tackle can prosper. John Graves was small. Jim Davis was light and spent a ton of time inside. Jason Lallis was effective at about 260. I would love two 320 pounders as well, but it doesn't fit that well in our system.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People put way too much into size at DT. In a 4-3 gap front like the Hokies play, an undersized but strong defensive tackle can prosper. John Graves was small. Jim Davis was light and spent a ton of time inside. Jason Lallis was effective at about 260. I would love two 320 pounders as well, but it doesn't fit that well in our system.

I don't know Lallis. Davis played a while back when everyone was lighter. Graves was not that good. 2010 was his senior year and he had his part in one of the worst VT defenses ever. He got all conference honors 2 years I think which was a joke. No matter how you look at it being light doesn't help. They wear down more easily and have to rely on speed/quickness. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't. At some point they're going to line up in front of somebody they can't go around and then it's over. The thing with Marshall is that he's a natural DE anyway. He would probably jump McCray or Wilson immediately