• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was a stupid move by the coaches. Playing by the rules in recruiting it's hard as hell to get talent to come to VT so when they get somebody good then they ought to do whatever they can to keep them on the field. It's not like VT is an SEC or something where there is talent all over the roster. Stupid stupid move. I would put up with a lot and I think somebody should be removed from the team only after a major disaster like Marcus Vick or the Journell incident

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a stupid move by the coaches. Playing by the rules in recruiting it's hard as hell to get talent to come to VT so when they get somebody good then they ought to do whatever they can to keep them on the field. It's not like VT is an SEC or something where there is talent all over the roster. Stupid stupid move. I would put up with a lot and I think somebody should be removed from the team only after a major disaster like Marcus Vick or the Journell incident

Bolded the part that matters. VT is not SEC. We don't pay for players. We don't continue to look a blind eye to infractions. I'm glad to see CFB taking a stand. Yes, it was a bunch of minors stuff but it was a bunch of stuff. Clark has nobody to blame but himself for screwing up his ride.

The Hokies put up with a lot until the Marcus Vick days. I got sick of seeing us compared with Miami in terms of thug image. We don't know the whole story-- probably more than just bowl game and TOTS. I trust the coaches know more than we do.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was a stupid move by the coaches.

The coaches set the team rules and the consequences for not following them. Clark made more than one "stupid move" to get himself booted from the team....that's his fault, not that of the coaches.

The Tech football program's not running a babysittting service or a halfway house. 95% of the players get it, why didn't Clark?

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bolded the part that matters. VT is not SEC. We don't pay for players. We don't continue to look a blind eye to infractions. I'm glad to see CFB taking a stand. Yes, it was a bunch of minors stuff but it was a bunch of stuff. Clark has nobody to blame but himself for screwing up his ride.

The Hokies put up with a lot until the Marcus Vick days. I got sick of seeing us compared with Miami in terms of thug image. We don't know the whole story-- probably more than just bowl game and TOTS. I trust the coaches know more than we do.

Good point, I got tired of hearing all that stuff too. Im sure FB knew what he was doing.

UQ0do.jpg

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well said.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Bburg cops suck. VT cops are even worse.

I completely disagree. Blacksburg cops, in my experience, are extremely accommodating and reasonable to the student population. Harrisonburg, Richmond, and DC area cops don't use the same discretion I experienced in Blackburg. Not saying there aren't bad cops in BB or good ones elsewhere, this is just my experience relative to my experiences in other college areas of Virginia. I never interacted with a VT cop, so I won't comment on them.

The coaches set the team rules and the consequences for not following them. Clark made more than one "stupid move" to get himself booted from the team....that's his fault, not that of the coaches.

The Tech football program's not running a babysittting service or a halfway house. 95% of the players get it, why didn't Clark?

I agree with this post completely. There are plenty of young people that want a scholarship to play football at Virginia Tech. This privilege comes with high expectations. I hate to see a player dismissed, but the days of multiple chances didn't help our program's reputation.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everyone else covered it all pretty much. foozball: you probably barked up the wrong tree here with this. We all want to be successful and win but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

VT, over the years, has gained a bit of a reputation with this. The Journell incident made things worse. Letting things like this slide without consequence, in the long term, is bad for the program's image. The program's image is a lot more important than ANY one player (ask Marcus Vick, Branden Ore). It sounds pretty minor but he's definitely a repeat offender. Cody Journell shouldn't be allowed back on the team either ... regardless of the outcome of his case .. period.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I completely disagree. Blacksburg cops, in my experience, are extremely accommodating and reasonable to the student population. Harrisonburg, Richmond, and DC area cops don't use the same discretion I experienced in Blackburg. Not saying there aren't bad cops in BB or good ones elsewhere, this is just my experience relative to my experiences in other college areas of Virginia. I never interacted with a VT cop, so I won't comment on them.

I agree. Blacksburg cops are more tolerant of drunken behavior in my experiences at VT. Let's just say, I spent more time inebriated at VT than any other place, but had fewer run ins with police there than anywhere else. You have to do something very stupid to have the cops called on you, let alone take charge you. Maybe it's changed since I graduated in 2009, but cops were never a problem for me (although I did have to pick up a friend from the drunk tank).

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
cops in Tidewater are the worst -- especially if you looked Navy -- especially down on the strip in VABeach

But I live in a neighborhood full of cops. My next door neighbor is a cop, a HUGE Sparty fan and alumni, and a hell of a guy -- but he's a lightweight .. and still drinks shit beer that broke college kids would buy .. Other than that -- a hell of a dude

Another cop in the neighborhood (a PSU fan) likes good beer and has (half-seriously) talked about building a still in his building

Most cops are pretty cool in my parts -- and BB parts -- it's the big-city cops that are (and have to be) rough and tough.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a formal social chair for a fraternal organization, I found both the BP and VTP to be pretty reasonable. As long as you treated them with respect and such, they were pretty easy to work with most of the time. I don't know much about the situation with Clark, but Clark shouldn't be treated differently than anyone else. As others have mentioned, no one person is greater than a program.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cops in BBurg and VT were very cool I thought. I was at a lot of parties where the cops showed up and no one ever got a ticket. They would just say to clear out anyone under 21 and turn down the noise and if you cooperated there was no trouble. As long as you weren't endangering yourself, anyone else, or anyone else's property they didn't really bother you in my experiences.

As for Clark, I am very happy to see Beamer taking a stand and running a tight ship. Clark had his chances and he blew them. There are too many things going wrong with CFB and it usually stems to the players thinking they are above and better than everyone else. These kids need to remember the chance to play football in college is an extreme privilege and respect that. I never want VT to be like Florida or Bama where winning is #1 and student athlete development and character building are down the list some where. Look at coaches like Woody and Bo. They loved football and winning but every player they coached always said they cared more about developing the players into men than football players. That is what CFB should be about and Beamer is standing up for that.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a formal social chair for a fraternal organization, I found both the BP and VTP to be pretty reasonable. As long as you treated them with respect and such, they were pretty easy to work with most of the time.

I was the social chair and then VP of my fraternity and had to deal with the cops a fair amount. I would agree that for the most part, they were reasonable. Especially if you were cooperative.

Town of Blacksburg cops did start to get pretty ridiculous in handing out noise violations though. We were written a noise violation in the middle of an afternoon when we were having a philanthropic event (with no drinking what so ever) at our house once, and were also given one during while tailgating during a Gameday. :suspicious:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems pretty harsh to me, but I don't know the details.

I remember a couple of Maryland wide receivers last year who assaulted a guy at a 7-11, and only missed a couple of games, and that was under Randy Edsall, who claims to run a tight ship.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty harsh to me, but I don't know the details.

I remember a couple of Maryland wide receivers last year who assaulted a guy at a 7-11, and only missed a couple of games, and that was under Randy Edsall, who claims to run a tight ship.

Assault is a broad term. They could have given him a little push that didn't knock him over and that is assault technically. His priorities got out of line with the need to win also i'm sure. If they beat him up then there is no reason for them to be around anymore.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Assault is a broad term. They could have given him a little push that didn't knock him over and that is assault technically. His priorities got out of line with the need to win also i'm sure. If they beat him up then there is no reason for them to be around anymore.

"Maryland receiver Ronnie Tyler allegedly punched a man near a convenience store late Wednesday night, authorities told The Baltimore Sun. Tyler was charged on Thursday with second-degree assault and his trial is scheduled for Nov. 1, according to The Washington Post.

Coach Randy Edsall has suspended Tyler, as well as receiver Quintin McCree. McCree was with Tyler at the time of the incident, but was not involved, the Sun reports. The reason for McCree’s suspension from the game has not been released.

Both suspensions are “indefinite.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-16/maryland-wr-tyler-charged-with-assault#ixzz1pljVJix0"

They missed two games each.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While we are still on the subject;

Senior year, I was down town with my friend who had come up to see me. We got there late and it was really busy. My friend was already pretty gone, but I was sober. I finally got to the bar and drank three tall beers back to back. While im doing this my friend (it was Matt J, Nick) leaves. I left the bar to go look for him and find him walking down Prices fork towards my appartment in Foxridge.

I see him and yell, "Get the F in the car!".

Turns out he was talking to an unmarked car at the time. The policeman then looks at me and screams for me to pull over.

He came up and asked me if I had anything to drink and I said yes. he makes me do a field test (Failed the ABC's backwards, passed two other tests) which I pass, and he decides he will let me go if I can get a ride home. As I'm waiting for my ride he asked me if I wanted to do a breathalyzer, just to see what i was at, which I did and blew a .16.

Point is, I think about him at least once a week, and silently thank him for letting me off. I was fortunate enough to have never gotten anyone, or myself hurt drunk driving, and have never driven drunk since that incident.

He easily could have given me a DUI, and i probably wouldn't have the awesome job I have now. God bless him.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came up and asked me if I had anything to drink and I said yes. he makes me do a field test (Failed the ABC's backwards, passed two other tests) which I pass, and he decides he will let me go if I can get a ride home. As I'm waiting for my ride he asked me if I wanted to do a breathalyzer, just to see what i was at, which I did and blew a .16.

This is a test?? I can't do that shit sober. Why would you care about learning anything in reverse alphabetical order anyway

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cops in BBurg aren't there to bust you because they know they can't stop underage drinking and all of that. They are there to keep people safe. They know if they give some ground on the drinking the students will cooperate more on finding safe ways home because they don't run the risk of getting busted for being drunk.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we are still on the subject;

Senior year, I was down town with my friend who had come up to see me. We got there late and it was really busy. My friend was already pretty gone, but I was sober. I finally got to the bar and drank three tall beers back to back. While im doing this my friend (it was Matt J, Nick) leaves. I left the bar to go look for him and find him walking down Prices fork towards my appartment in Foxridge.

I see him and yell, "Get the F in the car!".

Turns out he was talking to an unmarked car at the time. The policeman then looks at me and screams for me to pull over.

Point is, I think about him at least once a week, and silently thank him for letting me off. I was fortunate enough to have never gotten anyone, or myself hurt drunk driving, and have never driven drunk since that incident.

He easily could have given me a DUI, and i probably wouldn't have the awesome job I have now. God bless him.

Matt wondered from downtown to Prices Fork before you found him? Impressive