• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's some stuff you'd like to see for next season?

- I'd like to see Frank Beamer actually man up and admit he's the reason we don't win big time football games. Stop the "played a good team. a play here or there" bullshit. Sack up, show some emotion, and correct the mistakes.

-I think LT needs to hand the ball off more on the Read Option. I think it should at least be 50/50 but it seems like he keeps it more often than not. Teams start expecting it too much and suddenly those 7 yard runs just turn into 1 yard gains.

-Nick Dew and Zach McCray getting meaningful playing time. It's time these guys step up their game and prove they were worthy of their ratings out of HS

-Special teams play where I'm not wondering 1)Will we fuck this punt block up? 2)Can our kicker make this 35 yard FG? 3)Can our punter punt for more than 26 yards?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Props to you for starting this thread wildturkey. Here's what I was thinking:

1) I hate to say it, but some level of change is made at ST. Maybe make SB co-ST coach here or have him take it over all together. But it is evident that this side of the ball needs a makeover. FB is just not getting it done on this side of the ball and he hasn't been effective for a few years now. Is it complacency, lack of coaching, giving to many clinics on this side of the ball? I don't know. But ST has been a liability now for VT for a couple of years.

2) Further tweaking needs to occur at the OC / Play-calling position. Sure our stat sheet may look great at times and we can move the ball between the 20s for the first time in a while, BUT our redzone play still sucks. I am open for ideas on what to do here, but I believe some level of change needs to occur.

3) Forge new relationships with powerhouse teams whether college or NFL. While we do this some, I think there is some value in discussing defense / offense play options here. Maybe have some sort of coaching retreat each year in the post season where coaches can have whiteboarding sessions on what works / what doesn't work on both sides of the ball for certain (style) teams. This may sound crazy, but I am not sure if NDAs could be signed afterward or if such a thing could exist, but afterwards only the staff disclose among themselves what was said and that informaiton doesn't get out to other coaching staff / teams.

4) Make recruiting SEC style players particularly (DL / OL) a high priority.

hokiefour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Offense, Offense, Offense... (and of course some ST stuff). But mainly Offense. One TD in two games against one of the worst D's in college football (Clemson)?? 1 TD in 5 Red Zone trips agains UM??? The Offensive staff can never really put it together unless VT completely out mans a team up front, which doesn't happen very often these days. I think it is a schematic problem and that lies on the offensive staff. I don't care about the numbers... Tuesday night was just another example.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see David Wilson back.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year we can win a NC. To all the non-believers, especially you Kirk Herbstreit, way to have our back Corso, anybody can be beat! It'll be poetic justice. We know we are a better team and need to represent ourselves. And we are pissed off! We are ready to come back and show what kind of Defense we have, what type of team we are, and the character we have. People give us no chance like "you barely made a BCS game". We are a good football team! All ESPN does is disrespect our D and talk crap about us and we are the 7th best D in the country. All we ever heard about was Michigan's D, they couldn't stop a nosebleed! And we are the ones that get disrespected!

CANT WAIT. 2012.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Some change to the Offensive staff. Beamer's loyalty is starting to hurt the team. We made strides this season but we also had our most experienced OL in a while, veteran WRs, and a surprise stud at QB. We can't score on decent teams, we are predictable, I think we only have 12 plays we run. Offensive players want to play for a system than is productive and ours simply isn't when it needs to be. That makes recruiting difficult. I don't want a Mike Leach offense but we need something better. If this can be accomplished with our staff, fine. If not, then we need some changes.

2) Special teams--- I don't expect to be blocking kicks all the time any more because other teams are focusing on STs now as well. What we need is for it not to be a liability. Fundamentals and consistency. Eliminate the careless handling of the ball, stupid mistakes, and find a God damn punter for next season.

3) I am pumped for our defense. They are going to be a top unit in the country. Our DL will be impressive with a lot of depth. The secondary will take a slight hit but Torian will get that patched up and produce another all-american in Fuller.

4)I would like to see DW come back. I have 0 faith in Gregory. He has been fumbling since he got here. I don't like to put true freshman in the game at RB for pass blocking in key situations. We will have Holmes as a RS Freshman and I am excited for him to see the field but DW is a thrill to watch.

5) Our success next year really relies on the OL. We lose a lot of guys but a lot of our returners have seen some decent playing time. We will need a few to step up and become players though. We have the potential there, just need it to pay off.

6) IF DW comes back, a Heisman would look nice in our trophy case.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year we can win a NC. To all the non-believers, especially you Kirk Herbstreit, way to have our back Corso, anybody can be beat! It'll be poetic justice. We know we are a better team and need to represent ourselves. And we are pissed off! We are ready to come back and show what kind of Defense we have, what type of team we are, and the character we have. People give us no chance like "you barely made a BCS game". We are a good football team! All ESPN does is disrespect our D and talk crap about us and we are the 7th best D in the country. All we ever heard about was Michigan's D, they couldn't stop a nosebleed! And we are the ones that get disrespected!

CANT WAIT. 2012.

I think that next year's schedule sets up perfectly for a NCG run. Pitt and Cincy will be wins but end up with decent records. We have to go on the road to Miami and Clemson, but get FSU at home. The defense is nasty, and most importantly, DEEP. We actually have a good bit of depth, for once which is what makes champions.

We will be getting three starters back (Hop, Taylor, JGW) and the guys who played for them this year did well.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I want JGW starting. FWIW.

If Tweedy can stay healthy, I like him there but he gets swallowed up by blockers a lot. It would be interesting to see one of the freshman come in and make a splash either to take that spot over or make moving Tariq to that position a real possibility.

Dew has done nothing yet to make me think he will take that spot. Williams and Clark are big mysteries to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dew is one of our many 4 stars who have yet to live up to expectations (McCray, Acree, Painter, Gibson, Cris Hill)

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Unless changes are made on offense, 2012 will be more of the same. We are losing our two best WRs and 4 starting OL, and quite possibly our two RBs (at least one for sure). We still have to play at Clemson, Miami, UNC, and then play FSU at home. It's not a daunting task, but call me skeptical. We may be alright with WR, but Roberts, Coles, and Davis are not natural WRs and have not been our go to guys. They've had their moments, but have not been consistent.

As far as our OLine goes, I cannot see an improvement, which is sad because this line was terrible. Bennedict will be good, but we are also losing BDC, who is our best lineman and best we've had in a while. He's going to be hard to replace.

Defense will be even better, so expect your typical VT season, 10 wins of low scoring games punctuated with ball control offense. I love LT and think he can be special but if the pass blocking suffers next year and the run blocking is more of the same, then watch out, it's going to be ugly.

I'm rarely debbie downer, but after watching us lose while having better talent on the field against Michigan, I have a hard time seeing improvement with the offensive talent lost unless their is a change in philosophy.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless changes are made on offense, 2012 will be more of the same. We are losing our two best WRs and 4 starting OL, and quite possibly our two RBs (at least one for sure). We still have to play at Clemson, Miami, UNC, and then play FSU at home. It's not a daunting task, but call me skeptical. We may be alright with WR, but Roberts, Coles, and Davis are not natural WRs and have not been our go to guys. They've had their moments, but have not been consistent.

As far as our OLine goes, I cannot see an improvement, which is sad because this line was terrible. Bennedict will be good, but we are also losing BDC, who is our best lineman and best we've had in a while. He's going to be hard to replace.

Defense will be even better, so expect your typical VT season, 10 wins of low scoring games punctuated with ball control offense. I love LT and think he can be special but if the pass blocking suffers next year and the run blocking is more of the same, then watch out, it's going to be ugly.

I'm rarely debbie downer, but after watching us lose while having better talent on the field against Michigan, I have a hard time seeing improvement with the offensive talent lost unless their is a change in philosophy.

Agreed. If no changes are made in the area of ST and OC then expect more of the same or even worse. Changes need to be made at VT as well as at other various colleges within the ACC.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dew is one of our many 4 stars who have yet to live up to expectations (McCray, Acree, Painter, Gibson, Cris Hill)

To be fair to Dew, McCray, Acree, and Gibson, they are still only in their 2nd year at VT. Remember Bruce Taylor was not looking at significant playing time until Rivers got hurt in the offseason his third year in the program.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. If no changes are made in the area of ST and OC then expect more of the same or even worse. Changes need to be made at VT as well as at other various colleges within the ACC.

Honestly, it doesn't even have to be a drastic OC change, but I can't fathom a reason Newsome should be back coaching. He's responsible for the guards and center and their play was terrible this year. This is a year after his workload was reduced. Give Stinespring the entire line and find an OC or at least find a new Oline coach.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will be fine at WR. Coles will be a big time threat and Davis is finally turning the ship around. OL will be a MASSIVE ? going into next season but we have some experience in the back ups. RB will be interesting but that is a position freshman can play in because it is a natural position (aside from pass blocking). Either you got it or you don't.

I agree we need changes around the OC position for any real big jump in production. Either a change is staff or big change in mentality.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really starting to be concerned about the inability of our offensive coaches to adapt during games and to expose our opponents weaknesses.
Sure everyone loves these highpaced offenses, but if we are going to be slow paced, then the playcalling needs to improve.

Hopefully, we can start using speedy slot receivers in the future the same way that Clemson and WVu use Watkins and Austin and the way Auburn uses McCaleb. If we have speed on the team (Knowles, JC, Lockhart, Mangus), then these guys need touches in the backfield and as recievers.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walt Harris

I have been saying this for years now, since back in the ESPN days....

He is close with both Beamer and Foster and coaches with the same mentality.

I liked the switch to O'Cain calling plays and he has certainly done a lot with LT, but I just don't think he is pulling his weight overall.