• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear anything about Caleb Farris? I thought he looked pretty good in a recruiting video I saw when I was looking up Nick Acree. Which might mean he sucks.

BUT, I'm rooting for him to crack the two-deep because I have a game worn (before his time, the jersey before the "throw backs" with the slanty blacksburg font) jersey with #79 on it... which I am guessing is his number because his uncle-by-marriage (if that counts as any relation at all) stopped me at the UVa game and asked if I knew Caleb.

I was like... no... big fat linemen is the only size game-worn I can actually wear. And it's tight even then. Then we looked at each other awkwardly and then I said, yea... that and I'm a big fan of Caleb.

that was tough to get through, lol

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Good thread :)

- I would be shocked if DW returns, but everything i've heard or seen from holmes has been positive. I think the way he follows blocks and uses his patience plus the ability of coleman to cut/juke/spin etc will be a nice contrast to one another. I think we will miss the acrobats of DW @ times but will be fine at RB.

- OL play really concerns me for next year.

- While im not as concerned about WR's as I am about the OL. I do think we will see some drop off @ WR. Coales mix of route running ability, speed, hands, and brain prob wont be matched by anyone on our current roster. Marcus Davis has the ability to be a Boykin type receiver or better but until i see it on a consistent basis i still dont think he fills that role. DJ Coles has been quietly getting better and better and he may be our best WR next year. We have all seen that Roberts has the ability to be a big time WR but i wonder how the time off and the severity of his injury will affect him next year. Ultimately i look for WR to be a mix of the knowns (Roberts, Coles, and Davis) and the unknowns (knowles, lockhart, asante(sp?), reeves, smiling, etc).

- I hope we continue to trend toward a spread option attack. I dont mind lining up in I form from time to time but with our current staff and roster i think the spread option look is a much much better fit.

-DEFENSE: Its hard not to get over excited about our defense next year, because we should be freaking nasty!

- I honestly like O'cains playcalling i just wish we more plays to choose from. FWIW i really like the couple different option looks that we showed during the SB. I also like what he has done as a QB coach. Tyrod was very "NFL ready" from all accounts i've heard and if you saw LT play in HS you have to be impressed with were he is at now.

- Newsome should have been gone years ago. We are honestly in a very bad cycle for our OL. Until we have someone who can develop NFL ready linemen we wont attract very many top tier (4*+) OL recruits, as recruiting suffers so will play on the field which doesnt lead to NFL contracts. Eventually we are going to have to either man up and go after another OL coach or just concede that we are happy with our staff no matter the result.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short and sweet. OL is going to be a concern. And the loss of DW.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some follow up thoughts after reading the responses:

-I don't get the big worry about the OL but I see it here and pretty much everywhere there are Hokie fans talking football. Call me crass but the group that was leaving wasn't very good. And knowing how stubborn Beamer is, I'm pretty sure the reason those guys played was because of seniority and not overall talent. Beams has a nasty habit of doing that with players. Looking at our prospects for next year, at worst the new OL will be the same as the group that just left IMO.

-Quit the national title talk. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment Did you not see the ACC just get the shit knocked out of them this year? We'd have to go undefeated to even have a shot. Even if that happened, I would not be surprised at all if we got leaped frog by a 1 loss SEC team or a 1 loss USC.

-Play calling could be better, but I think some of the lack of creativity this year was O'Cain still keep things basic for Thomas. Next year the reigns should come off. And I'm totally serious with what I'm about to say next. If LT progresses like should and they take the reigns, he will actually live up to those Cam Newton comparisons people threw out there at the start of the season (reckless comparison at the time). LT has IT. I don't know what IT is but you can just tell. The key for him going to be using this offseason to get better and not be content. He needs to go all out with film study, Manning QB camps, etc.

-RB spot will be ok. We've been spoiled by 3 NFL quality backs. I see next year being something like the Mike Imoh years. Productive, just not spectacular. Plus, if you use LT correctly, he'll open up a lot of space for the RBs since so many defenders will key in on LT for passes and runs.

-I think DB position will be fine with Fuller, Bonner, Jarrett, and whatever freshman we don't redshirt. Bonner gets the nod imo because he's improved leaps and bounds from when he first started. Safety could be a concern. As someone else said, Whitely wasn't great but its hard seeing someone on the roster now that could be better. Given his speed, I'd consider giving Tweedy a shot. We're getting a lot of LBs back from injury so why not give Torian Gray all spring to see if he can coach up Tweedy.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just some follow up thoughts after reading the responses:

-I don't get the big worry about the OL but I see it here and pretty much everywhere there are Hokie fans talking football. Call me crass but the group that was leaving wasn't very good. And knowing how stubborn Beamer is, I'm pretty sure the reason those guys played was because of seniority and not overall talent. Beams has a nasty habit of doing that with players. Looking at our prospects for next year, at worst the new OL will be the same as the group that just left IMO.

I worry about OL for a couple of reasons. 1) I worry about our OL every year to be truthful. 2) This years OL could @ least pass block, we've seen years where they could do neither. Alot of times we had quick athletic QB's who could bail us out, while LT can run, he isnt that guy. If we cant protect him long enough to get the ball out, it is going to be a long year. 3) This was advertised as the year our OL got back on track. Results??? 4) I worry about lack of experience, the way our schedule sets up next year could be big. a couple positives are that these guys have most likely practiced together a pretty good bit as second teams so there should already be some cohesion. I've also heard that a lot of the younger OL have an attitude that you would want to see from OL. I think we've missed that more than anything.

-Quit the national title talk. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment Did you not see the ACC just get the shit knocked out of them this year? We'd have to go undefeated to even have a shot. Even if that happened, I would not be surprised at all if we got leaped frog by a 1 loss SEC team or a 1 loss USC.

Or at least hold off until early dec. In terms of rank alone We had a real shot @ it this year before the first Clemson game, We still had a (very) outside shot @ it before the ACCcg. Like you say though the ACC looks terrible right now and unless other teams (clemson, miami, unc, fla st, etc) step up our chances are always going to be slim.

-Play calling could be better, but I think some of the lack of creativity this year was O'Cain still keep things basic for Thomas. Next year the reigns should come off. And I'm totally serious with what I'm about to say next. If LT progresses like should and they take the reigns, he will actually live up to those Cam Newton comparisons people threw out there at the start of the season (reckless comparison at the time). LT has IT. I don't know what IT is but you can just tell. The key for him going to be using this offseason to get better and not be content. He needs to go all out with film study, Manning QB camps, etc.

I think we moved the ball pretty well this year. My only knock on the play calling is that we seem to move the ball fairly easy @ times but once we get into the RZ we get way too conservative. I agree with you. If LT continues to develop and but the work in (which i think he will) he is going to be something special when he leaves here. Possibly after next :(

-RB spot will be ok. We've been spoiled by 3 NFL quality backs. I see next year being something like the Mike Imoh years. Productive, just not spectacular. Plus, if you use LT correctly, he'll open up a lot of space for the RBs since so many defenders will key in on LT for passes and runs.

I think we will prob see more of a true RB rotation next year (depending on how coleman does this spring) I honestly think we will be pretty good as a unit just prob wont have a true featured back.

-I think DB position will be fine with Fuller, Bonner, Jarrett, and whatever freshman we don't redshirt. Bonner gets the nod imo because he's improved leaps and bounds from when he first started. Safety could be a concern. As someone else said, Whitely wasn't great but its hard seeing someone on the roster now that could be better. Given his speed, I'd consider giving Tweedy a shot. We're getting a lot of LBs back from injury so why not give Torian Gray all spring to see if he can coach up Tweedy.

I dont worry about the DB's because i know TG will put the best man on the field and get the best out of that man. I wouldnt be surprised to see RVD be a factor @ Rover. This spring will be important for that position. FWIW i hope we keep Tweedy @ whip, his speed makes him special at the position.

Side note: i wouldnt mind seeing us have a true 4-3 package for playing against power run teams.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that we will pass the ball next season more than we have historically. i could see logan passing for 3500 yards next year, with our rushing numbers down. i have a lot of confidence in our receivers, just not in the inexperience of our running backs, which i feel is different from past years when evans/williams were starting young.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen some great responses and ideas from everyone. Agree with alot that was said.

1) OL is truly the biggest ???, but I don't see a huge drop-off (which is sad considering we are losing several). DeChristopher will be missed and Brooks was pretty good but the OL could potential be better if some guys really step up. Benedict is supposed to be coming along very well. I look for him to start as well as maybe Wang (would like to see him turn into a quality tackle like his bro), Becton, Miller, and Via too. Sorry 200proof but haven't heard anything special about Farris. Work with a bunch of Rockbridge boys and they say he is a great kid, but has never been a dominant OL (even when he was much bigger and better than alot of his competition). Thats not to say he couldnt break into the 2 deep. I would never expect him to be anything more than a 1 year starter (at best). Some of you made the comments about Newsome (or lack of) as well as recruiting SEC caliber OL - DL...AGREE 100%

2)LT3 will be back and have a very good group of WRs (Coles, Davis, Roberts--thrown in a couple more unknown burners Lockhart and Knowles) to throw too. Thomas will be even better next year (which is sick). I think he improves and with the right protection and good receivers could eventually begin to start cementing his legacy as the best pure throwing QB VT has EVER had. He will be that good by the time he leaves.

3)I think we will be fine at RB. We have recruited very well at that position and there is no reason why the next great VT RB isnt (or will be.. JC..Mangus, etc. wink, wink) already on the roster. We have had a solid RB (or two) on the roster for 15 years and running IMO. No reason to see that change now.

4)Special teams sucked this year and they have some MAJOR work to do in that area, in all facets. There is absolutely no excuse for VT being this mediocre for the last several years (and sometimes downright bad). Another year or two of that shit and I will personally write and ask Frank to semi-permanently outlaw the term.."BEAMERBALL"..cuz frankly there hasnt been any..in AWHILE

5)Bud Fosters lunchpail defense will be top 5 and will have the depth (that some of you mentioned) to dominate and once again, single handedly win games. If everyone stays healthy and we get a few more guys to step up (particularly in the secondary..Bonner, Jarrett, etc.)I think it could be one of BF(best-fucking)BF(Bud Foster) squads EVER..nuff said..

I think this team will once again be the (closer) favorite to win the division. Another 10 win season is very attainable..and maybe more...

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Next years offense is going to revolve around Logan Thomas. Even with David Wilson, it seemed that Thomas was the feature player by the end of the season. He had more passing and total offense yards and more total touchdowns this season than Tyrod had in his best season. Believe it or not: Logan Thomas is already flying through the record book.

Really there are only relatively small adjustments to the offense I'd make. Offensive philosophy is a hot topic in the Tech community, but I really think we are on the right track. We just put our QB, RB, and offense as a whole in the record book for most yards in a season. He just put our WRs in the record book for most yards in a career and catches in a season and career. I'd like to see more players involved in a variety of plays that feature their less used skills. I'd also like to reassess the offensive line philosophy, especially with the turnover in starters.

Defense is back to themselves. We had innovative game plans this season, that helped overcome significant injuries. GT was a prime example of that innovation and the flexibility of our current players. East Carolina, Virginia, and Michigan games were extremely impressive. With key individuals back next season, we are going to be a very fun team to watch.

I'm actually encouraged with the turnover in special teams. It gives us a fresh start. New kickers and punters are the first order of business, but on the other end, I'd like to focus more on the returning punts than blocking them. Despite the large decline in blocks, we've remained somewhat constant in returning punts, and actually gotten a little better with fakes (Virginia and GT come to mind immediately). We can focus on this one area of strength here. The same can be said for Kickoffs, where we've had penalties hurt significant returns. Force them to fear the return, and it will open up lanes for a block.

In the grand scheme, blocking kicks was great when we were the underdog, because it was our edge over the competition. Now that the defense is our huge advantage and the offense is diversifying, we need to shift to a more conventional special teams philosophy. A block here or a WELL planned fake there, are sufficient additions to our overall team. LSU this season is a great model.

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
does Corey Marshall move back to DE?? since Kris Harley move in the 2 deep w Maddy at DT...next years D line is gonna be INSANE!!!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
does Corey Marshall move back to DE?? since Kris Harley move in the 2 deep w Maddy at DT...next years D line is gonna be INSANE!!!
IMO that depends on how Nicolas, Perez-Means (Who i could see move to TE), McCray, Taylor, Collins and Alford do. If there is enough strength at DE then I think Marshall will stay inside

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
also...can we start yelling "LLLUUUUUUUUUU" when Luther Maddy makes a tackle next year lol

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really need more TEs? I feel like we have been recruiting that position like crazy in recent years

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really need more TEs? I feel like we have been recruiting that position like crazy in recent years

I would love one that was recruited as a TE, stayed a TE, practiced running TE routes, and was actually a functional TE in games.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance we see Cole at safety next year? Heard he had an impact last spring/camp

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Christian Reeves suppose to be solid pass catching TE?