• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants sign Saquon Barkley...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puts him just above the franchise tag... And a signing bonus around $3m, right? Good win for Barkley to maximize his deal.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puts him just above the franchise tag... And a signing bonus around $3m, right? Good win for Barkley to maximize his deal.
No way is this a good contract for Barkley, so instead of signing a fully guaranteed $10.1 million deal he signs an incentive based contract with the potential to earn up to $11 million with only $2 million guaranteed?

He gave up $10.1 million guaranteed for a chance to earn 900k more.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is this a good contract for Barkley, so instead of signing a fully guaranteed $10.1 million deal he signs an incentive based contract with the potential to earn up to $11 million with only $2 million guaranteed?

I read $10.1M guaranteed

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He only loses the 10.1 million if he’s cut. For the most part it is guaranteed. I can’t come up with any football reason for why he would be cut. Now…if he gets arrested because he OJs his wife, that’s a different story.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's 10.1m guaranteed, and a chance for an extra $1m on top in incentives WITH an additional $2m signing bonus.

Guaranteed money + signing bonus is $12m, with a chance to earn $13m.

That's $3m MORE than what the tag would have given him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only loses the 10.1 million if he’s cut. For the most part it is guaranteed. I can’t come up with any football reason for why he would be cut. Now…if he gets arrested because he OJs his wife, that’s a different story.

That's not true. The contract is fully guaranteed as the franchise tag was applied. He gets $2M of bonus (basically paid up front) with the rest pro-rated over the contract term and I believe additional performance incentives were included (which he would be paid upon achieving those).

If the Giants cut him today, they eat $10.1M of dead cap and Barkley gets all that money, still. He's not out anything.

@FaCe-LeE-uS my understanding is the contract is not $12M... it just means OF the $10M, $2M is paid right now... which is considerably more attractive than getting $2M over the life of the contract (even only 1 year). The incentives would be entirely separate and count against next years cap. How incentives applies depends on the reasonableness of them being satisfied and may apply in the current or future seasons.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. The contract is fully guaranteed as the franchise tag was applied. He gets $2M of bonus (basically paid up front) with the rest pro-rated over the contract term and I believe additional performance incentives were included (which he would be paid upon achieving those).

If the Giants cut him today, they eat $10.1M of dead cap and Barkley gets all that money, still. He's not out anything.
I believe the franchise tag was never applied. Barkley and Jacobs were two guys who never signed their tags. I believe Pollard did.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the franchise tag was never applied. Barkley and Jacobs were two guys who never signed their tags. I believe Pollard did.

You're correct it seems it's an adjusted franchise tag contract, meaning it's fully guaranteed but not the actual tag, meaning they could tag him next season and the following (in which case his only option is just to say I'm not playing).

However, his contract is fully guaranteed meaning he gets paid fully and the Giants would receive the full penalty for cutting him (unless they could find a trade partner prior to week 6, which I assume nobody would do if they were shopping him lol - because that means he's not going to clear injury or is sucking).

Sounds like he was really not left with much of an option. Got some extra cash in the door more quick and a bit of a performance incentive... end of day the Giants threw him a small bone lol.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 10.1m guaranteed, and a chance for an extra $1m on top in incentives WITH an additional $2m signing bonus.

Guaranteed money + signing bonus is $12m, with a chance to earn $13m.

That's $3m MORE than what the tag would have given him.

Ok that makes better sense for him then.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I understand Barkley's deal it's the same money, ($10.1M guaranteed), but with a $2M signing bonus and $8.1M in salary/roster bonuses. Additionally there is $1M in incentives. If he were to be suspended he would only lose salary, so this is insurance against suspension. 2 of the 3 incentives are borderline achievable if he stays healthy for a full season. If I was being cynical I would point out the reduction in salary would make him more tradable and that he could also be pulled from the last 2 games if Barkley was close to the targets but the team was out of playoff contention.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this mean the Giants can 1st year Franchise Tag Barkley next year since he never signed the FT. If so very bad move for Barkley. He should have just played on the tag (Guaranteed $$$ 2023)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He about to make 6 million after that New York tax and agent salary.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Par for the course with a lot of RB's.

Henry has only made 46 million in 7 seasons.

Hopefully he can survive on the $46M……

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this mean the Giants can 1st year Franchise Tag Barkley next year since he never signed the FT. If so very bad move for Barkley. He should have just played on the tag (Guaranteed $$$ 2023)
No. The 1st franchise tag has now been used. Whether he signs the tag, agrees to a deal, or sits is irrelevant. If he is tagged again it will be the 2nd tag. However, I believe the 1st and 2nd franchise tags have the same rules.

The best case scenario/strategy for a tag worthy player is he agrees a new deal with his team before the new NFL year starts but declines to sign it. The team then tags him and they then revert back to the previously agreed deal. That would prevent the 1st level tag ever being used on that player in the future.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS my understanding is the contract is not $12M... it just means OF the $10M, $2M is paid right now... which is considerably more attractive than getting $2M over the life of the contract (even only 1 year). The incentives would be entirely separate and count against next years cap. How incentives applies depends on the reasonableness of them being satisfied and may apply in the current or future seasons.
Good catch... Missed the "including" portion. So that is correct, $10.1m includes the signing bonus. So @Duffman's point stands. He really only achieved an additional $1m in incentives.

That's not really a win. But he was stuck in a difficult situation. Definitely don't want to spiral your career like Lev Bell did.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good catch... Missed the "including" portion. So that is correct, $10.1m includes the signing bonus. So @Duffman's point stands. He really only achieved an additional $1m in incentives.

That's not really a win. But he was stuck in a difficult situation. Definitely don't want to spiral your career like Lev Bell did.

Yah, basically it's the franchise tag... but by not signing it he did get a LITTLE better deal. Extra $1M if he gets the incentive and he gets $2M right away (invest or buy something lol).

Makes sense why the Giants didn't want to give him a big contract. He returned to form last year but the three prior seasons he missed quite a bit of time. And Daniel Jones' cap in 2024 is going to be massive ($45M). and Thibodeaux will want a new contract, and Lawrence gets pricy as well. Giants have some of the least cap room at the moment.

His incentives basically means he has to get back to his rookie season form. He had the TDs and receptions his rookie season, but fell short of the yardage (1,350 is the incentive).

ALL three incentives which are independent of one another (1,350 yards, 11TDs, 65 receptions) also require the Giants make the playoffs. So if he has a historic season, and the Giants miss the playoffs... nothing. They could be nice and pay him anyway, but I doubt it lol.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the LeVeon Bell situation was a big nail in the coffin that really sealed the fate on some of these RBs. He pretended to be altruistic about doing it for all RBs but he was just arrogant and greedy and he failed miserably.