• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get A QB Now?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying Tom Brady has nothing left in the tank at all because clearly he does. But do you think the Patriots should draft a QB and let him actually learn under his wing and be his predecessor? I don't think Ryan Mallet will remain with the team and take over for Brady in about 3-4 years.

What say you? I know the Pats have much more pressing issues at more positions but we have seen without a QB in this league how terrible a team could be regardless of it's offensive weapons.

(This was supposed to be a new thread but I put it in another post I guess)

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the deal with Mallet? He had a little hype when he first got there... but haven't heard much of anything since. He was a pretty good passer at Ark... had a cannon of an arm. Tall... but was kinda skinny and could get rolled upon easily. Also, not the smartest...

Is he just not progressing to the point where they would keep him?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly not sure... But it appears that (at least to me) the Patriots are not going to use him as Brady's replacement

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the deal with Mallet? He had a little hype when he first got there... but haven't heard much of anything since. He was a pretty good passer at Ark... had a cannon of an arm. Tall... but was kinda skinny and could get rolled upon easily. Also, not the smartest...

Is he just not progressing to the point where they would keep him?

I certainly want them to. The problem is he becomes a free agent next year and may elect not to stick around.

I don't think there has been any indication he's not capable of being next in line. We have allegedly turned down a high second at one point for him, and if Bill wasn't happy with him, he wouldn't still be here.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the offer being turned down and yes if BB didn't like Mallet he would have been gone... I just don't see him becoming Brady's replacement

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on whether he sticks around. I see no reason not to resign him if we can.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out soon. He gets an extension, he is the future. No extension, look for NE to go after Mettenberger in the 3rd.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Mallet had potential myself... under Brady it seems he would get there eventually.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot eventually somewhere..

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out soon. He gets an extension, he is the future. No extension, look for NE to go after Mettenberger in the 3rd.

It would not be particularly different for New England to let him play out his contract and resign him next offseason either. I'd prefer sooner, but bill doesn't always work like that.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would not be particularly different for New England to let him play out his contract and resign him next offseason either. I'd prefer sooner, but bill doesn't always work like that.

I hear you, but if you are going to make a move for a younger QB to groom, now is the time. A few good QB's in the draft who I am sure BB likes, Mettenberger and Murray. I think he will have to make up his mind. If Mallet walks in 2015, and we can't get Cassell or Hoyer, we will have a backup QB who knows nothing about NE system backing up a 39 yr old QB. Not something I want to happen. Now we could draft a QB in the 3rd and keep Mallet this yr, which I am fine with. I would hate to see him walk and not get anything for him, esp when we could of had a 2nd for him, like you said.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, absolutely, get a quality QB into the system now, as long as he's not a top pick. If TB retires in 1-3 years, you have a successor. If not, you have a quality backup. They'll get another year out of Mallett but he'll be gone next year and if they don't have a backup they can trust in place, they may have some problems.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real issue here is that BB will hold onto Brady until his arm falls off. Hell lets just trade Malllett and not draft a QB we will use Edelman as the back up. I have been saying this for years Tom cannont make the throws he use and the offense at this point is set up to protect his weaknesses and because of that pretty damn easy to defend.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Garoppolo has been getting some good press from the East West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl. I thought he looked good but the Pats would probably need to use a 2nd on him and I don't want to see that plus they have Mallett for another year.

DEFENSE!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett has a nuclear cannon hanging from his right shoulder. I saw him stand in the practice field end zone and with minimal effort, throw a football approx. 75 yards. I nearly filled my shorts. Shortly after that throw I watched him miss about 6 out of 10 receivers in a QB speed drill. Brady hit 10 of 10. Mallett has accuracy issues and that's been his hold up and also why he doesn't get time with the first team during the preseason. BB hasn't found a favorite to give Mallett a push in preseason and he does know the offense so Bill has to keep him on the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill use a 5th or 6th round pick on a QB we've never even looked at or heard of. The guy must be at least 6'5" and as close to 225 as possible. Belichick would prefer a drop back, pocket passer who has an alarm clock in his head. If he can run faster than a 12.0 40 all the better. I'd expect him to come from a school like New Hampshire or Forham, not USC or Alabama.

axman15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't mind them trading Mallett this year (seems like he has a fair amount of value) and draft a project next year to develop him to be the future.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't mind them trading Mallett this year (seems like he has a fair amount of value) and draft a project next year to develop him to be the future.

I would if he is as good as some surmise and Brady is on the decline and aged why get rid of the next man up.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett has a nuclear cannon hanging from his right shoulder. I saw him stand in the practice field end zone and with minimal effort, throw a football approx. 75 yards. I nearly filled my shorts. Shortly after that throw I watched him miss about 6 out of 10 receivers in a QB speed drill. Brady hit 10 of 10. Mallett has accuracy issues and that's been his hold up and also why he doesn't get time with the first team during the preseason. BB hasn't found a favorite to give Mallett a push in preseason and he does know the offense so Bill has to keep him on the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill use a 5th or 6th round pick on a QB we've never even looked at or heard of. The guy must be at least 6'5" and as close to 225 as possible. Belichick would prefer a drop back, pocket passer who has an alarm clock in his head. If he can run faster than a 12.0 40 all the better. I'd expect him to come from a school like New Hampshire or Forham, not USC or Alabama.

I'm thinking Mallett has the accuracy problems when he takes a little steam off the pass. In preseason he played pretty good but was getting a lot of rookie receivers learning their routes. Our passing game has been scrambled all year. A little better luck could be handy for anybody on our offense. I'm not ready to judge almost anybody on our team by this year.....

We also don't know what BB has told Mallett.....